RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

What ever happened to a “proper dinner”?

It went out of the window when fast-food moved in.  For what it's worth that has at least made getting something to eat beyond a pack of crisps much easier in many places at most hours.  Albeit not necessarily a healthy option.

The whole situation seems to reek of panic stricken improvisation

Yes.  Agreed totally. 

I fail to see how having a scotch egg with your pint would curtail the spread of the coronavirus

It won't and no-one seems to be pretending it will.  It is case law that a Scotch Egg constitutes a "substantial meal" in England at least.  

If anything, going into a pub, having a quick pint and then leaving is certainly going to result in less exposure to any infected individual than going into the same place and sitting down and then ordering, waiting for, consuming and then paying for a “substantial meal”.

Agreed.  If only everyone would also agree.  We all know some people will go for a "quick pint" and crawl home after a slow gallon.  Others will set out fully intending to stay the course for the entire evening.  Ejecting people once they have had their pint and meal does no favours to anyone.  It annoys the customers who may have preferred to stay longer; it may deprive the business of income their customer was prepared to spend; it can prevent the enjoyment of live music (which remains legal and occurs in some pubs subject to restrictions) and it can generate bad feelings leading to aggravated exchanges between parties.  

Perhaps limiting alcohol to 1 pint per person per evening per pub would have allowed people to go out for a decent pint

The Welsh don't even get that now.  Straight from "firebreak" with pubs closed to "something else" with pubs closed and a ban on alcohol sales which may affect the entire country right through the holiday period.  Where there's a will there's a way and I suspect outlawing something like that will only lead to sneakage across borders and private partying behind closed doors.  Surely not what was intended? While England relaxes Wales tightens up.  Where is the consistency the PM of the entire UK was seeking, exactly?  But again who polices the "one pint" policy.  And is it policy, advice or law?  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

The irony is I can't recall ever seeing a "Scotch Egg" in Scotland, no use unless they can be deep fried lol.

I wondered too. Various sources (Wikipedia et al) suggest they come from Yorkshire and originally had fish paste instead of sausage. Made by a business called Scott. 

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Funny 1

Evening All,

First, I hope Newbryfords brother gets things sorted, I really do.
Secondly, well nothing really . Got done most of what was expected. Went into town via,

Dodworth ,pronounced Dodeth,

Higham, pronounced Hickam

Baugh Green, pronounced Bark Green and 

Old Town , pronounced Owd Tarn.

Also managed to get the next Vat return completed but I’ll double check it tomorrow before submitting.

Thirdly, Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I once bought some used paperclips from a carboot sale and got some dvds freeto get round the you couldnt buy anything new rules

43 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

First, I hope Newbryfords brother gets things sorted, I really do.
Secondly, well nothing really . Got done most of what was expected. Went into town via,

Dodworth ,pronounced Dodeth,

Higham, pronounced Hickam

Baugh Green, pronounced Bark Green and 

Old Town , pronounced Owd Tarn.

Also managed to get the next Vat return completed but I’ll double check it tomorrow before submitting.

Thirdly, Goodnight,

Robert

You forgot Cudeth 

I used to work in Doderth

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 13

15 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I once bought some used paperclips from a carboot 

You forgot Cudeth 

I used to work in Doderth

Ah but I don’t go through Cudeth to get to town, but that’s where my Aunty lives.

Don’t know where the paper clip comment has come from! Not me!

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Mick I hope your brother will make good progress back to normality.

A very mixed day.  why can the DCVLA do an excellent online job with car tax but be a total bag ull of contradictions, cock ups, and down right self contradictions when it comes to renewing Driving Licem nce online - I got an email saying renewal was underway and a web page saying it wasm n't.  what sort of goons and haflfwits programmed their 'puter?

Mrs Stationmaster doinga lot of keyboard hogging today when I really was eventually. getting to ERs - about 5 hours ago but then dinner and a spot of tele to relax so here I am now.  And what a load of misleading cobblers in the statement about what leaving the EU will do for wildlife on farm land.  Don't be fooled for one minute by that announcement because that is exactly how a lot of CAP money is spent in the UK at the moment - my tenant (not me as the landowner) gets paid CAP money for creating and leaving in place an additional 1 metre wide wild grass etc verge inside the hedge and fence line of the field and that has been the case for a good many years past.  As far as 'wildlife etc' in that statement goes there isn't really anything new - it's just that most people outside farming don't know how some CAP money is spent at present in this country so they'll all say how wonderful the 'new' arrangement will be..

Tomorrow will be a tesco visit so I'm informed.  enjouy what's left of teh day if you happen to be in the right place on the globe.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another day spent in the cellar, but it’s been productive, as quite a bit more paint has been removed. I’ve been mainly removing the loose and flaky stuff and this section is now about 75% done. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the rest of it done and then I can fire up the steam stripper and tackle the hard stubborn bits that are left. Although to be fair, there isn’t lots of it, it’s just what is left is a right bu99er to shift. I’m hoping that by the end of the week I’ll be ready to start re-pointing the few bits that need doing, then I can mix and applying the tanking slurry.

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, for the first time ever, every customer in the shop was not only wearing a mask, but they were wearing it properly! You could have knocked me down with a feather. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Straight from "firebreak" with pubs closed to "something else" with pubs closed and a ban on alcohol sales which may affect the entire country right through the holiday period.

Here the government is actually wanting us to go out to venues again to  the point that everyone will get a $100 evoucher that we must spend at an entertainment, dining  or arts venue. 

Maybe the UK government will come up with similar to help business there  once  they get the virus sorted.

From the NSW Government website:

$100 vouchers to support local economy

18 November 2020

NSW residents will receive $100 worth of vouchers to use for dining and entertainment to help support local businesses and jobs.

The NSW Government's Out & About Scheme will rollout from January 2021. It will provide NSW residents over the age of 18 with four $25 digital vouchers.

The vouchers can be used at participating eligible businesses and venues who are registered as COVID Safe.  

The Out & About Scheme will be divided into two categories: 

dining out – two vouchers can be used to purchase food at venues such as restaurants, cafes, pubs and clubs. 

going out – two vouchers can be used for activities, such as visiting cultural institutions, performing arts, cinemas and amusement parks.  

The vouchers will stimulate the NSW economy, support local businesses and help the arts, hospitality and tourism industries bounce back from COVID-19.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was told that there was a pub in St Bees that had a stock of rather stale sandwiches that were served, but not consumed with your pint. 

The first relaxation of the Scottish drinking laws was allowing pubs to close at 11pm, rather than 10pm, if they served food. There was a pub in Glasgow where, at 9.55pm, a cakestand of sandwiches was put on the bar, and the cover taken off. At 11pm, with the same number of sandwiches still there, the cover was put back on and the cakestand taken off the bar. This was repeated each night. (I presume the sandwiches were eventually replaced.)

• Like 3
  • Funny 13