RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have only visited Liverpool on one occasion to visit the passport office when the airline wouldn't accept swmbos cos there was a tear on the page. There were still wheels on the merc when we came back. We parked underneath the Echo offices 

It was weird following the pedestrian exit signs and coming out in the office block.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Bank also visited, and a statement was actually forthcoming - but my winter fuel allowance does not appear to have arrived, though my Christmas bonus from the DWP has - wow a tenner will go a long way to covering the increase in the cost of food this year - NOT.

Good to see you back and good luck with the broadband and computer.

You have just answered my question about why I had received an unexpected £10 from the DWP, thank you it has saved me a phone call to check that I really was due the money. I too have not got my winter fuel allowance but the letter did say that I would get it before Christmas and despite what the shops think that does not happen until 25th December.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

“Thank you, we were so worried , would you like another slice of cake?”  
Tony

Isn't it a bit risky posting that statement here on ER's. I can already hear the thundering of hippo hooves and bear paws.:jester:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 16

POETS...

Little to report from yesterday, Jemma and Brendan successfully went to Grand Forks and back, picking up their apartment keys and seeing the apartment for the first time in person. Sounds overall as expected, the rooms are slightly larger than appeared so they're happy with that.

Visited with us when they returned and came over to pick up Whitney, social-distancing and on the breezy porch, plenty of air movement and all of us wearing masks.

Grocery delivery went as planned, so we're set for a while :)

Given the announcement of the vaccine, we still, sadly, recorded over 3,000 deaths yesterday across the US, a daily high again :(

As many in the medical community are constantly pointing out, it's not a vaccine that'll solve the problem it's VACCINATIONS. Until then, folks STILL must social distance wear masks and be conscious that we all need to do our part. Sadly, a large percentage of the population still ignore the obvious reality of the numbers, so there's no guarantee we'll manage this thing successfully in the short term :(

Nothing much planned for the weekend, except week #3 of our Zoom solve-a-murder game with friends.

-2 and overcast first thing, all the way up to a steamy +2 :O for the high!

Enjoy the weekend...

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Found an e-mail in my in-box when I opened my e-mails supposedly from DPD saying that they had twice tried to deliver a package and there was a fee for re-delivery. I've read somewhere about this particular scam and took the appropriate action, forwarding it on to report@phishing.gov.uk before consigning it to the spam folder and blocking the sender. Arthur Itis keeps coming out to play so the ibuprofen has been deployed. The package that arrived this morning contained another diecast from Hong Kong, a lovely little model and a bargain as well. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I hope he has  received it unlike youngest Herbert.. he waited 3 hours in his car for his delivery from Royal Mail.. which still hasn't arrived..he is a very unhappy bunny!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 19

39 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I hope he has  received it unlike youngest Herbert.. he waited 3 hours in his car for his delivery from Royal Mail.. which still hasn't arrived..he is a very unhappy bunny!

Baz

Some of ours came at 8pm the other day from Royal mail it was our postman who came earlier in the day

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Our new next door neighbours are already hammering at walls... obviously fits with the plan of doing the house up and selling it on!  from the sounds he is making I would suggest the laddo has some fairly carp tools.. and he does bathroom conversions(!).

Still no news from GDB.. he must be reading the manual..

Baz

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Our new next door neighbours are already hammering at walls... obviously fits with the plan of doing the house up and selling it on!  from the sounds he is making I would suggest the laddo has some fairly carp tools.. and he does bathroom conversions(!).

Still no news from GDB.. he must be reading the manual..

Baz

Trying to figure out what's the on button is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When I worked in an educational computer centre providing support for teaching and technical problems this often occurred. Someone would have a problem, we would sort it out perhaps as a result of recreating the problem on our system, discussing it with hardware and software suppliers. So many times you would get “that was simple, can’t understand why we pay you”.

Shades of Y2K!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

That's almost as annoying as an announcement about an announcement.....................

We were near Tower Bridge today where there was a temporary sign saying ' bollard ahead', next time there will probably be a sign saying ' sign ahead':mellow:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

We were near Tower Bridge today where there was a temporary sign saying ' bollard ahead', next time there will probably be a sign saying ' sign ahead':mellow:

May have been warning about a stealth bollard. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

Just seen this on Facebook,     WHOOPS.

image.png.ee3f02c2f08ca349db07f12aeaac614f.png

ONE APUS STACK COLLAPSE LOSSES EXPECTED TO TOP $200M

Shippers and forwarders with shipments on board the ONE Apus have been warned to expect General Average to be declared on the casualty.

The 14,000 teu vessel suffered a massive container stack collapse en route to Long Beach after encountering heavy weather near Hawaii on 30 November.

The carrier confirmed that 1,816 boxes in total had lost overboard, including 64 dangerous goods (DG) boxes, abandoned its original route and returned to Japan, berthing at Kobe on Tuesday.

Marine claims consultancy WK Webster, which has a team of surveyors at Kobe and has undertaken an initial inspection using drones, said the early indications were that thousands of containers had been damaged, beyond the boxes lost overboard, with total losses expected to amount to millions of dollars.

“With 1,816 containers lost overboard and what looks to be thousands more collapsed throughout the deck, the total cargo/container losses arising out of this casualty will of course be very substantial. We anticipate that cargo losses, on the basis of average containerised cargo values, may reach $200m or more,” it added.

The firm said it was still waiting for the carrier to release the vessel’s container stow bay plans, “which will assist greatly in identifying the impact of this incident to individual cargo interests”.

It added: “General Average has still not been declared, although we continue to believe that this is a likely eventuality. If General Average is declared, GA securities will be required from all surviving cargo interests on board.”

And it warned shippers and forwarders eager for the release of their cargo that they may be in for a long wait, as the location of the casualty as well as its deployment on a THE Alliance service meant it was subject to a variety of jurisdictions.

“In terms of liability, the issues involved in this casualty will be both complicated and span several jurisdictions – Singapore, the US and Japan being notable examples.

“Cargo affected by this incident will be being carried by a range of different contractual ocean carriers and freight forwarders, and each will be subject to differing contractual terms, including, importantly, in relation to the law and jurisdiction applicable to claims.

“The extent to which the carriers’ liability is established will of course depend on a large number of factors, all of which will be closely investigated and evaluated,” it said.

The note further explained that total losses may well also exceed the applicable vessel limitation figure, which is usually “established by reference to the tonnage of the vessel pursuant to international conventions, but possibly also by reference to the vessel’s value”.

“While the ONE Apus is a very new vessel and with a very high value, we anticipate that vessel limitation will be a relevant factor and a key issue moving forward,” WK Webster said.

• Informative/Useful 19

Just now, Andrew P said:

Just seen this on Facebook,     WHOOPS.

image.png.ee3f02c2f08ca349db07f12aeaac614f.png

ONE APUS STACK COLLAPSE LOSSES EXPECTED TO TOP $200M

Shippers and forwarders with shipments on board the ONE Apus have been warned to expect General Average to be declared on the casualty.

The 14,000 teu vessel suffered a massive container stack collapse en route to Long Beach after encountering heavy weather near Hawaii on 30 November.

The carrier confirmed that 1,816 boxes in total had lost overboard, including 64 dangerous goods (DG) boxes, abandoned its original route and returned to Japan, berthing at Kobe on Tuesday.

Marine claims consultancy WK Webster, which has a team of surveyors at Kobe and has undertaken an initial inspection using drones, said the early indications were that thousands of containers had been damaged, beyond the boxes lost overboard, with total losses expected to amount to millions of dollars.

“With 1,816 containers lost overboard and what looks to be thousands more collapsed throughout the deck, the total cargo/container losses arising out of this casualty will of course be very substantial. We anticipate that cargo losses, on the basis of average containerised cargo values, may reach $200m or more,” it added.

The firm said it was still waiting for the carrier to release the vessel’s container stow bay plans, “which will assist greatly in identifying the impact of this incident to individual cargo interests”.

It added: “General Average has still not been declared, although we continue to believe that this is a likely eventuality. If General Average is declared, GA securities will be required from all surviving cargo interests on board.”

And it warned shippers and forwarders eager for the release of their cargo that they may be in for a long wait, as the location of the casualty as well as its deployment on a THE Alliance service meant it was subject to a variety of jurisdictions.

“In terms of liability, the issues involved in this casualty will be both complicated and span several jurisdictions – Singapore, the US and Japan being notable examples.

“Cargo affected by this incident will be being carried by a range of different contractual ocean carriers and freight forwarders, and each will be subject to differing contractual terms, including, importantly, in relation to the law and jurisdiction applicable to claims.

“The extent to which the carriers’ liability is established will of course depend on a large number of factors, all of which will be closely investigated and evaluated,” it said.

The note further explained that total losses may well also exceed the applicable vessel limitation figure, which is usually “established by reference to the tonnage of the vessel pursuant to international conventions, but possibly also by reference to the vessel’s value”.

“While the ONE Apus is a very new vessel and with a very high value, we anticipate that vessel limitation will be a relevant factor and a key issue moving forward,” WK Webster said.

BTW, anyone seen Bob @grandadbob?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 14

7 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

I is here!  This morning, 9 minutes after receiving a phone telling me to expect a phone call I received .....wait for it..... a phone call.  It was THE phone call telling me to get on my bike into my Duster and hotwheel it to Epsom. The ##### ####### actually stands for motor vehicle and as a couple of you rightly surmised I've bought a new car.  1st prize for guessing I believe goes to Keith Tetsudo and runner up was Simon.  However I haven't bought a hybrid but have changed my diesel Duster for a petrol Peugeot.  I bought the Duster 31 months ago as a third choice after being let down on a couple of other vehicles after being quoted ridiculously long delivery waits.  It's not a bad car at all but is fairly basic and before I shuffle off this mortal coil I fancied something a lot better.  The dealers have been pestering me for a few weeks offering me upgrades etc so I decided to see what was available.  I was originally looking at a brand new car but spotted a one year old vehicle with only 1300 miles on the clock at what I think was reasonable price.  After seeing and test driving it I couldn't believe my luck because it is to all effects brand new.  For the past year it's been used by the dealer's financial director's wife and spent most of its time sitting on their drive going nowhere.  They gave me a very good deal on the Duster saying "it's the best and "cleanest" one we've ever had back."

All this means that I now possess this:

E7EC1826-0674-45B7-9521-C532129CF1F4.jpg.f318448eb8e391a58f6a49964f4f74fa.jpg

Peugeot 3008 1.2 Puretech Allure EAT8 Auto

It is by far and away the nicest car I've ever had (or driven) in 55 years but it will take me some time to learn how to "fly" it properly.   It's got what they call an "i-cockpit" and is all very complicated  although I'm sure that our resident airman would laugh at that.  After a few hours playing today I'm gradually finding my way around all the dials and menus.  Do I need all that kit?  - Nah probably not but as I said earlier at the beginning of this saga on Tuesday you only live once.  It's been a sh!t year  (nowhere near as bad for me as thousands of others) and I just want to have a bit of fun.

The only problem is of course that at the moment I really shouldn't be going very far and only for essential journeys but let's hope things improve somewhat in the next couple of months.  

Now celebrating with a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon.

B.Onkers of Sutton.

Stunning Bob, So we can ignore my post above now then, haha.

I have the 308 Allure Estate and love it apart from the heater being touch screen which I find dangerous when trying to change it whilst driving.

But for comfort, looks, economy, space and TOYS they are a superb product says the man who was Business Manager for Peugeot for many years.

Well done and a GREAT CHOICE.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1