RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I had my ears lowered a couple of weeks ago. A #2 cut all over, my ears are still feeling the cold and I can't find my woolly hat. As I'm used to spending Christmas alone lockdown hasn't impacted me a great deal. The only problem I have is delivering my friends young sons Christmas present, I might need to leave it on their front doorstep sometime next week. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

14 hours ago, TheQ said:

The point is the huge number of passengers through the UK before anyone knew what was happening meant it was well established in the UK before the first lockdown.

I don't want to seem to be harping on about this but its interesting to check the figures for August 4th/5th. UK new cases totalled 670 on 4th August. Australian new cases 5th August was 715. You almost had it beaten. You are an island, if only you'd put up the drawbridge to all but non returning residents, implemented testing/isolation regimes for incoming transport drivers like the states did here for interstate drivers and  seriously quarantined returnees, think where you'd be now.

At that time while Australia saw 715 as a looming disaster and locked down all of Melbourne, the UK government called 640 'job well done' and let you all go off to Europe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

49 minutes ago, chrisf said:

You can prove anything with statistics ...

There are lies, damned lies and statistics, I agree, but it would appear that the cautionary approach in these new times may warrant a consideration of the current mortality and infection rates of the population.

Switzerland, for example, have closed all restaurants, for example.

Reminds me, must get some eggs and bacon for the fry-up on the 25th!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

in high places thought less about statistic

I am not exactly in a high place but looking at how the graph of current infections over time is following the graph generated by the predictive model to me is of great concern. Governments can’t really base plans on wishful thinking about perhaps it won’t turn out as bad. They have been doing that somewhat as not wanting to be the people that killed Christmas. As soon as the Government extended the furlough scheme to Easter it seemed clear to me this wasn’t going to end at Christmas and I fully expected some change to the Christmas relaxation. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Gone are the days when film actors could play a military serviceman properly.. Because they had been one and knew how to behave.

My Dad was almost on a newsreel. Somewhere in Germany a camera crew wanted some footage. They wanted a young officer to point at something. The officer wasn’t handsome enough so much to his amusement Dad had to wear his jacket and pose in an officer like manner.  He suspects the footage was never used. They were not even near any battle at the time anyway. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

As soon as the Government extended the furlough scheme to Easter it seemed clear to me this wasn’t going to end at Christmas and I fully expected some change to the Christmas relaxation. 

Boris mentioned Easter as a possible point of interest. Can't remember the words but 'over by Easter" springs to mind. I don't believe him. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My Dad was almost on a newsreel. Somewhere in Germany a camera crew wanted some footage. They wanted a young officer to point at something. The officer wasn’t handsome enough so much to his amusement Dad had to wear his jacket and pose in an officer like manner.  He suspects the footage was never used. They were not even near any battle at the time anyway. 

My dad told me that the only bit of WW2 film he featured in was taken on the day that Japan surrendered. The film was of a convoy of tank transporters winding their way up a zig-zag mountain road (Burma Road?). He couldn't be certain as to which one he was driving as he didn't know it was being filmed until some years later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from Sidcup. Our world is unchanged; we were going nowhere and no-one was coming here. Well not quite true; I was going on my own to my parents for a few hours one day in the permitted period but that has now changed. And the accounts have not been signed off by our dear auditors either. One assumes that they don’t warp commit because COVID could cut any business down and they could get told off. Ironically if they put their pen to paper life would be easier for us too. But hey ho, what do I know. Worse things happen at sea.

I have finished for Christmas now (subject to a year end panic) and so shall be sitting around twiddling my thumbs except for the daily exercise walk.

Younger Lurker has done all his homework; I got a little bit carried away with the help I gave(wrote out for) him on Thomas a Beckett but I think he got a bit bored of me doing a Brian Blessed voicing of of “Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?”

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Boris mentioned Easter as a possible point of interest. Can't remember the words but 'over by Easter" springs to mind. I don't believe him. 

No, he is correct, he just forgot to add 2023! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather was kind to me today, although it was dull and windy, it remained dry all the time I was in the workshop. I’d not been in the house about 10 minutes when it started to rain, so I think I was very lucky. I have a remote controlled plug in the workshop that the heater is plugged into. I switched it on 15 minutes or so before I went out to it, so the workshop was nice and warm when I got there. I keep the controller for it on a shelf beside the upstairs cellar door, so I can use it as it m making my mid morning muggertea, which I take with me to the workshop. 

There’s been more progress made on the turntable control panel, all the wiring from the output modules to the LED control boards has now fitted. I then made a start on the wiring from the LED control boards to the LEDs. When this is completed (hopefully tomorrow), I’ll start to fit the wiring between the switches and the input modules. 

The kitchen smelt wonderful when I came in for dinner, as by then the stew had been on for a couple of hours. Today for dinner I had something that I usually eat when we have the girls round for the weekend, pancakes and maple syrup, oooh it made a lovely change and there’s enough left for me to have the same again tomorrow, mmmmmm. 

The stew tonight was absolutely delicious and there was enough left over  for another meal, which we will probably get eaten sometime between Christmas and New Year.

Sheila, aka Vidal Baboon (she gave herself that name) has been cutting my hair with clippers for many years now. It’s now usually done without a guard, so when it’s cut, it’s very short (about 0.5mm) indeed. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of wine which we consumed whilst watching a couple more episodes of French police drama we’ve started watching. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Most people just about grasp what an average is, some may understand the concept of median, but when we get to things like Standard Deviation, mode, Fisher’s t-test and the like, most people are so far out of their depth, their toes don’t touch bottom... How you present statistical data? That’s another thing

That brings back memories of maths. However I have now forgotten how they are calculated as not had any reason to make use of such even at work.

Is there any Govt guidance about wearing face masks outdoors?? If there is then I have missed it. We tend to keep clear of others even last Friday when large groups (20+) of school kids  weren't socially distancing and were blocking pavements so we had to walk in the road into busy traffic till we could cross to the other side where it was much quieter. If we had known the schools were closing mid day then we would have walked into town later on.

Morning from tier 4. Its raining. guess whats on the news, yep Covid and Brexit. How depressing life is at present.

No beer yesterday as we had plenty Friday but today will see us open a few bottles to cheer us up.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6