The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They're situated on the fields above the Jam Butty mines and next to the Broken Biscuit repair factory.

On another note, it appears that the Covid super spreading ski party has now done a moonlight flit from Verbier and headed for France. I hope that they have the correct attestations. I can't see the Gendarmarie  being very sympathetic.

Jamie

I think they should all be deattestated,  Preferably with a rusty and very blunt pair of secateurs.

Those with memories spans greater than a tickturd will recall it was a skier who was castigated this time last year for encouraging the spread of the virus.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Fish and chips? I buy fillets of hake from the fish man and make my own batter. It is really just flour salt pepper and water (sparkling if I have any) with a spoonful of cornflour to lighten it up a bit. Occasionally I use beer instead of fizzy water, but can’t say I notice much taste change. 

Whilst on the subject of F&C, how much does your local chippie charge for medium cod & chips?  Mine is £8-70 (jeez - glad I don't like fish); a portion of chips is two quid.

Me?  It's large chip roll & saveloy; £3-70 to you, sir....

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Snow here outs8de.

Soon to be snow, or white anyway, as I'm on with the plastering.

You can plaster?  Respect.....

Or are we talking just a small patch repair here?

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Just one final black pudding post from me. Now when eaten here it is grilled or fried. However when I was young and living it the Midlands we would have black pudding sandwiches made with slices of the black pudding. I assume it is still “ready to eat” . Supermarkets seem confused about which fridge to put it in, sometimes with raw stuff and sometimes with the cooked meats. 

• Like 16

36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think they should all be deattestated,  Preferably with a rusty and very blunt pair of secateurs.

Those with memories spans greater than a tickturd will recall it was a skier who was castigated this time last year for encouraging the spread of the virus.

That would impinge on their human rights but as we're now out of Euroland can't we just leave them there as punishment for stealing our fish

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whilst on the subject of F&C, how much does your local chippie charge for medium cod & chips?  Mine is £8-70 (jeez - glad I don't like fish); a portion of chips is two quid.

Me?  It's large chip roll & saveloy; £3-70 to you, sir....

Goodness, that is expensive. 

Here at the local chippy cod and chips is £5:80, with large cod and chips £6:85. 

I shall not be cooking any today as I have a pizza to consume later. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

They're situated on the fields above the Jam Butty mines and next to the Broken Biscuit repair factory.

On another note, it appears that the Covid super spreading ski party has now done a moonlight flit from Verbier and headed for France. I hope that they have the correct attestations. I can't see the Gendarmarie  being very sympathetic.

Jamie

You've gone and done it now. He will be despatching his minions to scour the Penines in search of them now.

Come to think of it that might not be a bad idea as it'll leave the Strategic Cake Store unguarded.

Er HH I think I might have a business opportunity for you and your sidekick PB.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Spent the afternoon playing with testing a RC car. :senile:One slight problem with inserting the four AA batteries in the controller. The battery cover is held on by a screw that required a very small crosshead screwdriver. It must be years since I required such a screwdriver and I wasn't even sure that I possessed one. However I found a small flat screwdriver and I was able to open it and install the batteries. Unlike the one I purchased for the young lad this one the car clips into the controller to be recharged. I don't know what effect this has on battery life but they seem to require little power.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Sorry iL Dottore its not available for export. If you purchase any off the black market make certain its correctly marked ' produce of Yorkshire':D

You do realise you are addressing “Captain Cynical“ (TM) of Switzerland? The good captain does not operate on the black market. Through numerous “connections“ he “acquires“ what he needs and wants.  You’ll be surprised what sort of generous gifts one is showered with after arranging a Swiss Bank Account “for a friend“

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

A bit like Henderson's Relish (for those in the know) ;)

Dammit 2341, Now you’ve let the cat out of the bag. Soon they will all be wanting to try some. Fortunately cognoscenti such as myself have adequate stocks in well secured locations.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Mention has been made of sausages, a bit of bad news all down to BREXIT:-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-ban-british-sausage-makers-23232052#source=push

Two things: firstly I doubt that there will be any ban on taking an adequate supply of breakfast bangers with you to the continent when you cross the channel. And even if there is, you can always arrange for shipment through a helpful, neutral, third party (please PM Captain Cynical if you want to know more about special Swiss privileges for discerning customers).

Thinking back to the Cold War; Switzerland was a convenient, neutral, third country for the opposing factions to come together and have some discreet discussions - quietly arriving at mutually advantageous solutions (So was Sweden, but I don’t think there are any Swedish railway modellers on our forum).

As we move into 2021, the Cold War will be replaced by the Kanalkampf, and as a good citizen of the world, working tirelessly for world peace, Captain Cynical is very happy to “facilitate“ the movement of foodstuffs, model railway items, Swiss chocolates and the like between the UK and the Continent (and vice versa) All, of course, for a very, very modest fee.

iD

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Our local chippy does a "lunch" medium fish, chips and peas for £4.80. Normal F & C costs £6.60 and peas costs £1.30.. Why they also do Spam Fritters.................

Are you an aficianado of that Leodian delicacy of battered mushy peas?

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

....On another note, it appears that the Covid super spreading ski party has now done a moonlight flit from Verbier and headed for France. I hope that they have the correct attestations. I can't see the Gendarmarie  being very sympathetic....

I hope the Gendarmarie is very unsympathetic. What they did was inexcusable and whilst the Swiss authorities have been studiously neutral about the matter (even to the point where a representative of the Verbier tourist board said he “understood the Brits situation“) the general feeling of the Swiss Vox Populi is very much on the lines of “hang them and quarter them“

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Unfortunately, it seems that the people who did the runner were rich and self entitled, so any punitive experiences they may undergo are likely to be limited to some official p1llock in the UK waving his finger at them and saying “you were very naughty! Don’t do it again“ Countries with a more robust and sensible approach to such transgressors would have probably already welded them into their little quarantine cells for the next 14 days (if not 28 days-just to make sure!)

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That would impinge on their human rights but as we're now out of Euroland can't we just leave them there as punishment for stealing our fish

Sadly, although human rights legislation was first conceived as a response to the atrocities of the Nazi regime, with the hope that it would prevent any sort of re-occurrence, it has – alas - been hijacked by shifty little yuman rites shysters (aka sleaze-bag lawyers) as a relatively easy way to make money by defending the indefensible.

Returning to the entitled cockwombles fleeing Switzerland, they do still have to get through all the various official checks and controls at the French border. Wouldn’t it be beautifully and deliciously and wonderfully ironic (and more then fitting and appropriate) that these turds-thinking that they have gottennaway clean – get picked up at Calais and returned to Switzerland for appropriate punishment (or even better, stuck in some French jail, in somewhere like Guyana)

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Wouldn’t it be beautifully and deliciously and wonderfully ironic (and more then fitting and appropriate) that these turds-thinking that they have gottennaway clean – get picked up at Calais and returned to Switzerland for appropriate punishment (or even better, stuck in some French jail, in somewhere like Guyana)

Hopefully in a cell that has a faulty lock meaning the door cannot be opened once they are inside.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

Devils island perhaps.

Well the snow hasnt departed yet 

Rolo the dachshund has a little cut on his front left leg caused by a bit of ice we think on his morning security patrol.

Had to ring the drs re my left leg got a locum and may have well mot have bothered. 

Could right eat chippy chip sausage and scraps right now

Most of the local chippies and sandwich shops shut til new year 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

9 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

If anyone was in any doubt about karma........

local_media-284171991.jpg.577f46ea367dcd5aa449440dbc72e881.jpg

Best make sure I drive carefully :)

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For those currently bereft of the stuff, this is what we call ein bißchen schnee!

BEF4A35B-B41E-4488-80B8-D4CAA9B6A2AD.jpeg.21ad4e8d74ad621c396cbf808b1aefe3.jpeg

By Alpine Redoubt (tm) standards, just a light dusting...

Ah yes, both a light dusting...

We got another dusting of a couple of inches overnight to add to the 8+ we already had on the ground, and more forecast.

Typical Minnesota late December/early January <sigh>

Nothing to report from yesterday, boring, boring... I DID manage to somehow get locked out of the client servers though and "IT" (the infamous 'have you tried turning it off and back on') have yet to reply to my email requesting help :O

Today more of the same, bill them for the inability of the IT department to respond, and folks wonder why healthcare is so expensive here ;)

-19 first thing, -6 now as I watch the short-line trundle by, and -4 the expected high with threats of light snow/flurries.

Onward...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I am sure you will be relieved to know that the UK is still a full member of the Council of Europe and the European Human Rights Court which is not the Same as the EU ECJ which settles disputes between EU states. When I last looked all European Countries were in the CoE except Belarus. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl.

Manx along with Scottish and Irish gaelic, are Q-Celtic , Goidelic languages.

Whereas, Welsh, Cornish, Pictish, Cumbric, and Breton. Are P-Celtic Brittonic languages.

So names or words or names in Manx that begin in Q would in Cornish be likely to begin in P.

This is part of the evidence that St Patrick is of British Brittonic descent not Irish, as St Paddy would have been called St Quaddy.

Neither of which affects my name as that's based on a Cushitic language.

Mary Janes in Cromer charges £9.90 for Cod and chips, but that is sat in the restaurant, where you can also choose between house red or white wine,!!!

The takeaway price is much less but I don't know the prices.

One shelving unit assembled and is awaiting the glue setting, when done I'll bring it in to test it in situ,  before assembling the other one I have MDF for.

Several hours were spent sanding one side of the keel, then a batch of filler ( resin + colloidal silica) was carefully spread, and smoothed over. It too is now setting.

I'm being bullied by Ben, he wants something..

Time to find out what he wants..

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2