RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon All,

Did go to work but didn’t come home with any fish and chips . I usually get two fish, one standard size chips and peas and or curry sauce (for SWMBO) and it usually comes to less than a tender. I don’t know exactly as I alway tell them to put the change in their hospice box.

Just watching a tv programme on penguins , very interesting especially the the ones living in Cape Town. I do feel tragedy is going to strike. I may have to turn it off.

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, TheQ said:

This is part of the evidence that St Patrick is of British Brittonic descent not Irish, as St Paddy would have been called St Quaddy.

Years ago we were on a beach in Pembrokeshire. One of the “points of interest” was a stone marking the spot where young Patrick was allegedly taken over the sea to Ireland by pirates/slavers or whatever they were called then. We couldn’t quite work out where it was but then making  use of Poirot like deduction I wondered if perhaps it was where a large group of nuns were gathered.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Funny 7

32 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Mary Janes in Cromer charges £9.90 for Cod and chips, but that is sat in the restaurant, where you can also choose between house red or white wine,!!!

The takeaway price is much less but I don't know the prices.

Ooooo, get you! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Years ago we were on a beach in Pembrokeshire. One of the “points of interest” was a stone marking the spot where young Patrick was allegedly taken over the sea to Ireland by pirates/slavers or whatever they were called then. We couldn’t quite work out where it was but then marking use of Poitou like deduction I wondered if perhaps it was where a large group of nuns were gathered.  

Are you sure they weren’t penguins?

p.s. was that Herluce Poitou?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Penguin is of course a P-Celtic word from the Welsh that originally applied to the Great Auk.

images (2).jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Good evening all,

Is it my imagination or has someone really left the lid off the can of idiots?

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A light dusting of snow on a local hill....

9BA76B43-3DC5-4EA4-9536-B3772FE23518.jpeg.77b01ba1a17f5d77e2e264ca47ed5d07.jpeg

Probably a light dusting on a local hill won't Matter too much!

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

They're situated on the fields above the Jam Butty mines and next to the Broken Biscuit repair factory.

On another note, it appears that the Covid super spreading ski party has now done a moonlight flit from Verbier and headed for France. I hope that they have the correct attestations. I can't see the Gendarmarie  being very sympathetic.

Jamie

My geography's never been up to much, but weren't the Jam Butty Mines and the Broken Biscuit Repair Factory in Lancashire, somewhere around Knotty Ash?

Rumours earlier in December were suggesting that French nationals who went to Switzerland for ski-ing holidays would be forced into 14 days self isolation. These escapees ought to be rounded up and deported back to Switzerland to receive suitable treatment; I note a later suggestion involving dismembering but, to be frank, IMHO, hanging, drawing and quartering is too light a punishment for this crime!

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, BoD said:

p.s. was that Herluce Poitou?

You must have been very quick. I noticed my error as soon as I posted.  Neil’s Donk would have approved of Poitou like analysis though. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A'noon. Ish.

Tea? Hideous stuff.

Was up early doors for my diabetic eye test.  I'm diabetic BTW, not the eye.  OK ish, issue I have isn't associated with the diabetes but an earlier viral infection many moons ago - needs a second opinion, but the optician thinks it is OK but just wants to be sure.  So the rest of the morning was walking about in shades looking like One Eyed Jack.

It is again a beautiful crisp sunny winters day here, this shot appeared by local lad Mike Quine (lot of Q surnames here, Q would blend in) of the Lake District hills from Ramsey prom, SimonG can't be seen waving as he is just below the horizon unfortunately!  4c in the sun, lots less in the shadow.   Must have been a very long telephoto lens, its something like 24 miles.

lakes.jpg.edf652341f28e2e3360d754b7a11f070.jpg

£6.75 for regular cod n chips here, or £8.50 for large.  Portions not as large as UK norm.

I can see that it's going to rain sometime.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Plus he's only 10" tall and IIRC Poitous are large donkeys.

Poitou donkeys are really big. Amazing ears! I don’t think one would be happy in our garden though. More suited to a Donk sized donkey. 
Tony

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Just one more thing.....

Is 2021 considered the start of the new decade?

I think not as it marks the end of the first year of the decade.

Remember, when you are born, (forgetting the 9 or so months inside Mum) you emerge at zero years old. 12 months later, your first birthday is celebrated (although you probably won't remember it!). You are 1 year old at the end of your first year.

By contrast, 1st January 2020 marked the passing of the previous decade.

We now find ourselves in the (until December 31st) first year of the third decade of the 21st Century.

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Returning to the entitled cockwombles fleeing Switzerland, they do still have to get through all the various official checks and controls at the French border. Wouldn’t it be beautifully and deliciously and wonderfully ironic (and more then fitting and appropriate) that these turds-thinking that they have gottennaway clean – get picked up at Calais and returned to Switzerland for appropriate punishment (or even better, stuck in some French jail, in somewhere like Guyana)

Maybe it was their offspring down here who despite a city-wide lockdown and limit on crowd numbers in place to control a small outbreak in the northern suburbs decided that they still wanted their "Hey mum I spent Christmas Day on the beach in Australia !" experience..

(Just in case you dont talk Australian, "Backpackers" is the term used for 18 - 20 something year old overseas tourists usually from Europe, mainly the UK who come here, usually on a gap year on a working holiday to travel around the country in old vans before getting murdered by a serial killer in the outback if you believe "Wolf Creek".

Hated by Eastern suburbs locals because of their noisy parties and endless crowd singing of "Wonderwall" by Oasis in the early hours, , loved by farmers because no one else will pick their fruit.)

Health MInister Furious As Backpackers flout COVID rules to stage Christmas Day Beach Party

image.png.4a7c1f4020ba93a176f3ce0562a2f426.png

"The NSW Health Minister has issued a furious message to people who attended a massive party at Bronte Beach on Christmas Day.

Many in the tightly-packed crowd, believed to largely consist of backpackers, were seen not wearing masks.

Hundreds of people were seen chanting and dancing at the party on Christmas afternoon, before riot police swooped in on the eastern suburbs beach about 3pm.

Mr Hazzard said COVID was still a serious risk, and the actions of backpackers who “clearly want to party” can’t continue.

NSW Police said a move-on notice was issued and the crowd dispersed.

However they will allege a 25-year-old didn’t listen.

He has been issued with a court attendance notice for failing to comply with the move-on order.

image.png.56ad607130bf1d9fe3bd8aa0c77f8da7.png

On Saturday, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazard said the gathering flew in the face of public health advice, and undermined the efforts of the broader community.

“It is absolutely appalling to see what was clearly a group of people, a large gathering of people, who didn’t give a damn about the rest of Sydney,” he said.

Lucy Meyer, who witnessed the party, said it was so loud she could hear it from 10 minutes away as she walked off.

Photos captured the huge mess left behind by those who attended, with cups, bottles, food and rubbish left strewn across the grass."

And to make it even stupider, Christmas Day here was maximum 20C and cloudy, hardly beach weather. They may as well have been at Blackpool or somewhere.

The federal government response:

Immigration Minister threatens to deport backpackers over Christmas beach party

Federal Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has threatened to deport any backpackers who are found to have breached NSW COVID rules after a large party was held at Bronte beach on Christmas Day.

Immigration authorities are investigating who was involved and Mr Hawke said the government would crack down on those deemed responsible.

"Absolutely, under the Migration Act, if somebody is threatening public safety or health, their visa can be cancelled and revoked," he told Sydney radio station 2GB.

"If anyone is doing the wrong thing, their visa status will be brought before the federal government."

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2