RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good (I think) Evening all!

Just dropped by for another quick scan; picked up these:

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Enlighten me, Good Sir. What is this “fish and chips” you rhapsodise about? Is it the fabled pieces of sea creature covered in a paste of flour, water and egg and thrown into vats of boiling “dripping” together with chunks of edible tuber?

The idea of Fish in batter; interesting. IIRC, this came about as a means of protecting the fish whilst it steamed in an otherwise hostile environment (such as hot oil); the batter was discarded.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

If it’s anything like around here the number will actually rise. 

We hopped from Tier 2 to Tier 4 with just a few hours in Tier 3 between. 

As more folk learn of places “still open” when their local is closed so more road traffic has been evident. 

Sompting treacle mine, near Worthing in West Sussex, has yet to receive a mention. I believe it came to a sticky end following an underground explosion. 

Sompting Treacle Mine - that wouldn't be anything to do with the Brown and Stickwell Industrial 009 layout that could often (used to) be seen at various exhibitions (whatever they were!)

45 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

In engineering the problem is not a ‘live’ problem

Isn't it? There are Engineering problems and engineering problems!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

I got my fish and chips today, no gravy though. 
Swmbo watches a few of the cookery programmes on tv and I hear the phrase  ‘fusion foods’ and I wonder is fish and chips with curry source is the  original’fusion food’? To me it’s a waste of f and c, what do you lot think?
Ill leave you to ponder that and I’ll bid you all goodnight.

Robert 

I just like fish and chips, preferably battered cod or haddock. I even try to resist peas (although I do like peas). Fusion food in this house is our joke name for various leftovers served together as a snack. My favourite accompaniment to chips is egg, or ham and egg. Surprisingly chips with gravy and cheese as served in Quebec ( also Alberta ) is rather tasty. I haven’t had chips with curry sauce. Matthew once said he was going to take us to the top Tripadvisor rated food restaurant in Utrecht. Turned out to be a chip automat.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Farcebook is playing silly bu@@ers tonight, two speeds, dead slow and stop.

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

The so called  influencers should be lined up against a wall and machine gunned

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Really?  I can understand perhaps having their access to social media limited but I really don’t think we are in “death squad” territory. 

Just isolate them then make sure that they are infected, and add the anti-vaxxers to the mix. 

• Like 10

I have a far simpler solution to the problem of sorting out the ,genuinely poorly from the 'I know best & deniers brigade'. Any infected person requiring treatment has to fill in a thirty two page questionnaire detailing who they have been mixing with, where they have been, how to lift weights, ethenicity and diverisity etc and finally produce their passport. Anybody who is over 90 will be exempt. If it turns out they have left a tier four area to go on holiday they will be charged the cost of treatment. Anybody who refuses or can't pay will be forced to work for free- preferably looking after patients. Any politicians will of course be denied treatment.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 12

29 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If I remember my history correctly, New York started life as New Amsterdam as it was a dutch trading post.

I may be wrong, which is known, but I think the change occurred prior to the orange one taking office, so say early 1600's.

Holland America (Cruise line) have a ship  with a name that translates to ‘New Amsterdam’

Just for your information.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

35 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If I remember my history correctly, New York started life as New Amsterdam as it was a dutch trading post.

I may be wrong, which is known, but I think the change occurred prior to the orange one taking office, so say early 1600's.

I think we swapped it for Moluccas , home of the nutmeg, which was incredibly valuable at the time. cf “Nathanael’s Nutmeg “ by Giles Milton for more accurate details.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

Morning all!

Up early as I had a rather rough night (and no, boys and girls, not because I had been drinking to excess. Sadly).

Fusion cuisine? Can be very good and can be utterly appalling, It all depends on the skill and knowledge of the cook/chef. If they know what they are doing and understand how the ingredients were originally used, then you can end up with an amazing new dish. But if they don’t, and there seems to be far too many of those nowadays, you have people mixing together ingredients from all over the place Just for the sake of being “clever”. Fusion cuisine, I would also argue, is not the same as mixing up together leftovers (a.k.a. “empty fridge syndrome“).

With this pandemic, I think that the problem the UK (and certainly the US) is facing is not only the inconsistency and incompetent leadership by their politicians, but also the fact that whatever regulations are put in place are just not enforced in many instances. The countries that have had a lot of success in dealing with the coronavirus are countries that have not been reticent about putting in place clear regulations and enforcing them. Humans being humans, I can’t see the Taiwanese, the Vietnamese, the Australians or the New Zealanders being any less frustrated, unhappy, bored and worried because of the lockdown than the British or the Americans. But they do manage to do what, in the long term, is the best thing to do for themselves and their society. An earlier poster, I forget who, mentioned going to the shops and the security guard letting an unmasked couple enter the supermarket unchallenged. Elsewhere this would not have happened and had the couple remonstrated and refused to comply with the mask order, a friendly and informative session with the police would have quickly ensued. 

But what to do with a persistent and recalcitrant offenders and scofflaws?  Whilst terminal punitive force has a certain appeal to it, it is of course not really appropriate (except, I would argue, perhaps in the cases of those who know they have the virus and deliberately break quarantine). And then it came to me. I remember reading in the science fiction novel  “World War Z“ that because humanity had been reduced to very few individuals, neither resources nor personnel were available to imprison offenders. What they did was to put offenders in the stocks and very publicly <name and shame>. An approach, using perhaps social media instead of physical stocks, that could quite possibly be an effective deterrent. Or perhaps not, given that in the UK there would be a significant enough percentage of people who would love to be “named and shamed“ for the notoriety that it would bring them (much like in certain circles an ASBO is seen as a medal of honour).

Today is the last day of 2020, let’s hope 2021 is going to be somewhat better.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 14
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner temple hare.

Down to 6 hours solid sleep mostly because it took a long time to get to sleep in the first place.

Just what is the discrimination against Over Wallop, why didn't they get a mention?

Used to live just north of them thar Wallops, I can remember going to an Army air display at Middle Wallop back in the days of the Bell 47 Sioux helicopter..

During my waking hours at stupid oclock I wander around the news channels including RT, one thing at the moment is their prominence  given to anti vaxers, no maskers, chip in the vaccine nutters, I suspect such idiots don't get air time in Russia..

On other channels it's been reported several times by foreign correspondents talking about their countries ( including the USA and several places in Europe) is that their technical abilities, in analysis of Covid mutations is way behind that of the UK.. So variations we may find first, may not actually be generated here here first.

Ben the sleeping Collie appears to be having a lie in. No sign of him wanting me to get up yet.

Plans for today, more keel sanding, more shelving.

Until brown eyes has other ideas ..

Time to doze..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Can’t sleep and forget to say as you may recall MY team won away yesterday  at Rotherham Utd and they play at the New York Stadium. Apparently the area of Rotherham  that the stadium was built on was know as New York. 
Just for your information.

That's because the former foundry on that site made many of the fire hydrants around New York..

I can remember the old works being knocked down and the new Stadium being built. Intermittently that is, I was with SWMBO visiting her relatives in the area.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13