RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not to worry about folk like him Rick - passengers have always known best it comes to train timetable.  Try about 14m10secs - 14m30 in here, from 1961, -

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-terminus-1961-online

The young lady stood up by her South African boyfriend turns out to be astoundingly well-spoken - 14:23 - out-Celia'ing Celia Johnson.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We now have super fast Broadband woo hoo engineer came sorted out anew socket and messed in cabinet at top of street.

All sorted

Oh no it isnt. Despite us ringing old provider and cancelling contract which ran out yesterday. Talk talk should have taken over today allegedly that hadnt happened according to old supplier post office. 

Its all turning in to a living nightmare as does everything we try to do to improve things. 

So what the chuff has gone off i dont know. Post office alledges that talk talk havent been in touvh with them. They then said we hadnt been in touch with PO they had a record on their system we told them we were going to BT originally but TT gave us a better deal. When we booked the engineer with TT they said they would sort it all out with PO.

I just want to scream

Wouldn't touch BT with a barge pole and that's with them buying the barge pole for us. They are a bunch of incompetent W.......... who I would trust to run a sweet shop let alone a multi national telephonic company.

Apologies if any readers have the misfortune to have worked for them.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Just passing through.
I just wanted to post this link (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/17/gary-taubes-interview-obesity-calories-hormones-case-for-keto) as a FYI for those of us struggling with obesity and/or Type II Diabetes Mellitus* - quite literally much food for thought!

Back later, enjoy Monday.

iD

* Did you know, that apart from Type I and Type II Diabetes Mellitus, there is also Diabetes Insipidus? Which is a very different beast to DM!

Hmmm, that reminds me of the Atkins (sp?) Diet popular some years back. Yes, it did work.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I wonder if Bear gives Boris's Mob a bung I can jump the queue??

Although he is over 80 I don't think Rupert Murdoch is a care home resident round our neck of the words but he reportedly was vaccinated in the very first lot of folk done here back in December.  So maybe you could pop out and buy a newspaper to jump the queue?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 15

5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

JSB, Atkins is the extreme end of it IIRC, but yes!  You don't have to go that far to make a difference though.

Just back from the vets, yes she is tall, young, and statuesque but blonde, not dark! :wub: Crikey she's an absolute stunner actually, shame she isn't going to stay at our practice. :cray_mini:So a referral onwards, back to the department where it all started 8 years ago - only now I don't think they can use an MRI due to the metalwork in my foot, not sure.  All a bit sore now due to 'range of movement' aka torture tests, stronger pills to try to get some sleep, didn't want to go that way as we all know the difficulties opiods can cause so I won't be taking them all the time.  Not actually very keen on going to the hospital currently, but by the time my referral gets to the top of the pile I'll probably be dead ten years anyway.

She would nt do the blood pressure much good though 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

I see storm Christoph is arriving tomorrow, but the first of the rain is tonight and there going to be a lot of it...

That will add to a burst water main on the road  just before the NDR on the way to work...

The car park at effin clown town village hall, is full again.. good, but I've just realised , that may stuff our MRC open day, which is provisionally booked for May in that hall,

I'm not sure they want our muddling running around the vaccinations.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

other piece of advice I give - and it cannot be said too often - is "Check Signal".  I will tell trainees to say it to themselves before making any move.  Even go to bed saying "Check Signal". 

If you don't check signals going to bed, you may end up talking in a high voice...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Though Spike Milligan aced it I think - he had the words "I told you I was ill" on his gravestone.

In Irish Gaelic, because the diocese wouldn’t allow it in English.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, pH said:

In Irish Gaelic, because the diocese wouldn’t allow it in English.

Duirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite" 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Moaning - Martin Luther King day here, and for some a public holiday, AND, TWO DAYS AND COUNTING.

It's a "national" holiday of sorts with banks and Post Offices etc., closed, but many businesses carry on regardless.

Confusingly, it's NOT a public holiday on my company calendar, BUT, the Long Island client DOES take it as a holiday!

So, do I work (have sh!t to do for them and can justifiably bill)  or NOT, taking the day as personal time-off! Confusing, probably work half-day, covers both bases :)

I have a SERIOUS PUZZLE/CHALLENGE for those who want to try for it - with TWO CAVEATS;

CAVEATS;

1) Don't judge me for using Amazon. We use them A LOT. Things that should be "in stock" locally but never are, and things that can't be found locally - try as we do, local shops simply don't really care on an individual item or customer basis.

2) Don't judge me for using Tetley tea bags. They WORK and are convenient and I rather like the tea, though I know many will shun me now :jester:

THE PUZZLE/CHALLENGE- figuring out WHAT THE HELL happened here, and more to the point what to do about it, or not! 

Saturday I ordered two 80-bag boxes of Tetley tea from Amazon - the local grocery store I have got them from for years have decided to ONLY carry the DECAF version now!

Order says - delivery between Jan 25th - 28th. coming from a third party Amazon store. Quite acceptable as I've some left in my stock.

Sunday evening at 6:29 (security camera has the footage), a guy "looking" to all intents like a delivery guy, drops off a package of said tea. From footage he appears to check his hand-held for details, drops it off, take a picture etc., etc. as is normal practice here, and we FIND said package about an hour later.

The package is simply two boxes of Tetley Tea (as "ordered") in a Walmart plastic bag. The only label on the entire thing is this;

20210117_TeaLabel.jpg.1ed5227f40a448747a787310d6e4547c.jpg

All AMAZON packages here come in distinctly Amazon boxes, can't miss them, AND they always have the complete shipping label on them!!!!

ADDITIONAL PUZZLE PIECES/CLUES/DETAILS

1) We never shop at Walmart, not sure we've ever even been in one!

2) Usually get a text message announcing expected delivery AND once delivery has been made - neither appeared.

3) Amazon order STILL SHOWS arriving per original date, not shipped even yet.

4) If it's a mistaken delivery, what are the chances someone ELSE ordered two boxes of Tetley tea from ANYWHERE and managed to get it delivered to us.
     Not like it's a gallon of milk which half the US may order, we're talking something VERY SPECIFIC and not exactly a common order "around these parts".

5) Using any/all of the data on the label results in nothing being able to be found via google etc.. Customer name, nothing showing locally!!

6) There's no indication of a return address to contact the shipping company.

7) Order number or any of the other numbers bear no relationship to ANY Amazon recent order!

Suggestions?

It's not ticking so not a bomb :) it appears to be what was ordered, but does that mean some alien intercepted my order and decided to do a good deed?

I'm in the twilight zone and it didn't really happen? That MAY be true except we still have the package on the porch table :O

Oh well - confused in Minnesota :jester:

-7 and cloudy, actually expected to go DOWN for a high of -8 later :O

Off we go for the start of another week.

Have a cup of tea and a little rest... worry not about the delivery.. unless another one arrives..

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went to Tess Coes this afternoon, the place was empty but at least everyone except for a few young children were masked.

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not to worry about folk like him Rick - passengers have always known best it comes to train timetable.  Try about 14m10secs - 14m30 in here, from 1961, -

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-terminus-1961-online

I thought that they looked as if they were from central casting. Still didn't stop the police sergeant from shooing the cameraman away though.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Although he is over 80 I don't think Rupert Murdoch is a care home resident round our neck of the words but he reportedly was vaccinated in the very first lot of folk done here back in December.  So maybe you could pop out and buy a newspaper to jump the queue?

Does Rupert sell newspapers?

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wouldn't touch BT with a barge pole and that's with them buying the barge pole for us. They are a bunch of incompetent W.......... who I would trust to run a sweet shop let alone a multi national telephonic company.

Apologies if any readers have the misfortune to have worked for them.

Hasn’t been my experience at all. Either with just telephone or later on broadband. In addition I have a Sim from BT mobile for my iPad. Easy to check on any feature of my account. My main mobile is with O2 as it was originally with BT Cellnet. I don’t have the BT TV service though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Mine had a personal plate from new, and was subsequently given a new age-related number. I'd always assumed new cars were allocated local numbers from new, to which they would revert once the personal plate was transferred on, but apparently not. Apparently, all re-registrations get London plates these days.

John 

Things have changed now John.

If buying a new car now and you want to have your personal plate on the new car the first thing you have to do is put the current car "on retention". This can be done online at which time the DVLA will issue you with a new local age-related number. You then have to get a new number plate made and put that on the car.

DVLA will then send a new V5C Registration Certificate showing the new number as well as the V778 Retention Document for the personal plate.

In my case I then went off to the local M-B dealership with the above documents and they made the new plate and put in on the current car and arranged to have the new car registered and delivered with the personal plate. Soon after that DVLA sends a new V5C for the new car.

Compared to what is was when I first got the personal plate the current transfer procedures are a doddle most of which can be done online.

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13