RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all from Sidcup where I can see bright blue sky for the first time in what seems like forever. The winds were strong overnight but blew the clouds and the rain away. It makes a difference.

Other than that it is a bit groundhog again, enlivened by the weekly Waitrose trips to pick up essentials for Younger Lurker; Autosport magazine and LDC!

Have a good day all

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

.  it tells us to transfer to Yo Tube Music.  Except this comes up as 'not available in your area'. 

That must be an IoM thing I suppose. I don’t know much about streaming music services as I store all my music on iTunes but YouTube Music seems to be preinstalled on my Samsung phone and works here. I don’t listen to music while I walk.I don’t walk by myself and Aditi likes to chat. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t think it’s you “just getting old”, Winnie dear boy. Looking from afar it does seem that the UK - over the past few decades or so - has developed a higher level of tolerance of incompetence and a correspondingly higher acceptance of low standards than in some other countries . Just reading about the experiences of many ERs as posted here seems to support that contention.

We could spend a lot of time (and get bitterly “political” in the process) discussing the whys and wherefores, but I think the attitude of “get it cheap as possible” has a major effect on how a society functions.  The old expression “pay peanuts, get monkeys“ has a lot of validity. Is it really reasonable to expect a decent level of competence and functionality when salaries (especially in the UK) are low to inadequate? 

Agreed, back in the day (1960's) Pay was far more evenly distributed and with negligible unemployment job security was guaranteed, unless you were really stupid or got caught with your fingers in the till. Mind you you were expected to work hard for what you got. There are still a few organisations where the employer treats their workers with respect and invariably they are the businesses that prosper.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

This follows on from Pimlico Plumbers coming out with this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55654229

Exactly the sort of business I mean. The company has a good public reputation and is highly profitable and the staff are happy and well paid. If the CEO of that company was Prime Minister the corvid crisis could possibly be almost over by now.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t think it’s you “just getting old”, Winnie dear boy. Looking from afar it does seem that the UK - over the past few decades or so - has developed a higher level of tolerance of incompetence and a correspondingly higher acceptance of low standards than in some other countries . Just reading about the experiences of many ERs as posted here seems to support that contention.

We could spend a lot of time (and get bitterly “political” in the process) discussing the whys and wherefores, but I think the attitude of “get it cheap as possible” has a major effect on how a society functions.  The old expression “pay peanuts, get monkeys“ has a lot of validity. Is it really reasonable to expect a decent level of competence and functionality when salaries (especially in the UK) are low to inadequate? 
Certainly in my line of business, if you are competent and knowledgeable you will be more than adequately compensated and rewarded; and if not, it is easy enough to walk into another job with better conditions.  So, in general, both salaries and standards of competence are high.  Were is it so elsewhere.

It sounds like you, sadly, missed out on the joys of being that age: namely, going to a gig, enjoying the recreational molecule of your choice, having a great time, ending up either kipping on the sofa of a friend or, if lucky and so inclined, sharing sleeping accommodation with a newly acquired acquaintance of the gender of one’s choice.

Ah, happy days! Back when the future was limitless, everything corporeal worked, we felt indestructible and cares and responsibilities were few and definitely not onerous.

Hmm.  I guess I will have to try baking a Lemon Drizzle Cake to see what all the fuss is about. But first, I need to see how “bear proof“ my current Alpine Redoubt (tm) defences are (I’ll  probably need to resite the antipersonnel mine fields).

I suspect that the orange one will end up being a bit like Yersinia pestis - the bug that caused the black death (and wiped out about 50% of Europe’s population with an estimated [high] death toll of 200 million in Eurasia) 

Y Pestis has never really been eradicated and emerges periodically in the most unlikely of places (although, thank God, it can now be controlled and treated by antibiotics).

I suspect the orange one, like Y Pestis, will also periodically emerge in the most unlikely of places. So eternal vigilance is the key. (there are other parallels between the two that can be drawn, but that would definitely stray into the area of “politics“ and should be avoided).

Well, off to walk the Wolfpack and then to shop - a replenishment of my Whisky stocks is on the cards today :yahoo: 

Enjoy the day.

iD

Well iL Dottori I am glad that its not just me nor the effects of age on the few brain cell that are left.

As you say we could waste considerable effort and time chuntering away on this subject and I certainly have no wish to have my knuckles rapped for discussing the 'P' word but I do think it reflects a deeper malaise within society itself. The fact that people seem to want things within a very short timescale whether that be wealth or family is not good.

Anyway I am off to rout some notches and by the way I do not believe relaying the mines will work as bears are quite clever.

• Like 13

The staff of Pimlico Plumbers are technically self employed from a tax point of view, something which suits them perfectly (and indeed they will get a nice advantage from it)until they are off sick when they cannot earn. That is why some of them took Pimlico Plumbers to tribunal and got themselves declared "workers" which means they get sick pay, holiday etc. That really is cake and eat it territory for them, not so great for the company.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1