Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a gloriously sunny but chilly FR, with touches of frost in places (no sign of David Jason though).

A quick shave, sh and shower then orf on the bike for a club run to the Big City, to the railway station no lesswhere we are partaking in a fireman's breakfast, served on a shovel apparently, I hope they didn't do anything else on it.

It goes like this:

You order the breakfast whilst sitting in the car.

When the breakfast is seen approaching you wind down the window.

The breakfast is then thrown in  for you to devour.

A family of five will get one in each corner and one down the middle.

Socially distanced catering at it's finest!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 18

Well that was nice, a touch of frost, but the Sun is really warm.

My local woods that I walk through when its dry has been sealed off with a sign saying, =  Temporarily Closed for Rejuvenation and conservation. I can only go through when its dry as its very muddy, so maybe they will put in some proper paths of Cinder or Tarmac. Its a major cut through for the School kids, or about a mile walk around, so they had better get it done pretty quick. They've only had a year to think about it.:banghead:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

1/4 scale or 1/4 inch scale?

I model in 00, which is 1/76 and the model is 1/4 scale of that, so I think it works out as 1/304 scale:sorry_mini:

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Neither of the two primary schools I attended had house names, they were too small, and only one of the 3 secondary schools had house names. which were names after local forests, I was in Savernake house.. I can't remember what the other two were..

With Norfolk having such a high average age, 40% of Norfolk Adults have now had their first Jab.

that includes 19.5% of under 65s

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Like others, we have lots of sunshine and some frost on the workshop, I’ve not looked at the car yet. 

As today is Friday, it means the weeks second fodder run is the order of the day. First I’ll walk to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. Then it’s a trip to the Trafford Centre for the rest of the week’s provisions. The afternoon will be spent once again sat at the table trying to solve t(e riddle of what to put in the corner of the l****t. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I model in 00, which is 1/76 and the model is 1/4 scale of that, so i think it works out as 1/304 scale:sorry_mini:

or roughly 1mm to the foot...

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. News this morning is that NO cases of flu have been recorded in the UK this winter. This is reckoned to be down to the wearing of face masks and use of hand sanitizers. It has been suggested that the wearing of face masks if not compulsory should be encouraged. I have needle phobia but I gritted my teeth and took the covid jab and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I am considering taking up the flu jab, which I have never had.

12 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I model in 00, which is 1/76 and the model is 1/4 scale of that, so i think it works out as 1/304 scale:sorry_mini:

To be pedantic, 00 is 4mm to the foot which works out at 1/76.2, therefore 1/4 of that would be 1/304.8 or 1/305 if rounded to the nearest whole number. I would say 1/300 and be done with it.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

While the NHS can waste money they are doing far better than the Swiss in getting vaccinations done.. mind you that might be due to the British Army sorting the delivery logistics.

Bas

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

While the NHS can waste money they are doing far better than the Swiss in getting vaccinations done.. mind you that might be due to the British Army sorting the delivery logistics.

Bas

Some* might say thats in spite of the army sorting the delivery logistics. Apparently the country that produces most of the vaccines is India. I can't imagine the logistical problems of delivering a vaccine to everyone in that country but they seem to be doing quite well. *Including some ex-squaddies.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Bas

You don't have to remind me. The Swiss government (National and Kantonal) are getting all kinds of stick from all quarters about the slow vaccination roll-out. This hasn't been helped by SwissMedic not approving the AZ/Oxford vaccine and the slow and low delivery of vaccines from the EU producers of the other vaccines. I believe, but I'm not 100% certain, that Switzerland signed up to the EU vaccine procurement scheme that has turned out to be such a fiasco (thank you very much, Ursula...). I note, with not a little bitterness, that the French and the Germans are sitting on stocks of AZ/Oxford Vaccine that are not being used - thanks to Macron's and Merkel's scaremongering.

This morning, in a fit of rare optmism, the BAG (Swiss Health Ministry) claims eveyone in Switzerland (who wants) will be vaccinated "by summer". I'm not holding my breath

Edited by iL Dottore
spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was intrigued by your Leicestershire volcano. Is this the solidified remnant of the core - like a volcanic plug.

Much of north west Leicestershire is volcanic - or at least was in the PreCambrian. There's solidified ash, Bradgate Park, Charnwood Forest and Beacon Hill area, and volcano cores at, Bardon, Markfield, Whitwick and more

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/id/eprint/16169/1/J_Carney_Merc_Geol_2000.pdf

Edited by Coombe Barton
TYPOMAN!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

11 hours ago, BSW01 said:

, jezzz, the music they play whilst you wait for someone to pick up is the worst we’ve ever heard, !

Vivaldi, The Four Seasons. Played by Kennedy. Yes it is awful

Mornin awl

Edited by laurenceb
Spullung
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Much of north west Leicestershire is volcanic - or at least was in the PreCambrian. There's solidified ash, Bradgate Park, Charnwood Forest and Beacon Hill area, and volcano cores at, Bardon, Markfield, Whitwick and more

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/id/eprint/16169/1/J_Carney_Merc_Geol_2000.pdf

I find that very interesting. I used to follow the geology lectures on the Open University and considered taking it up but I never found the round tuit.  

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I find that very interesting. I used to follow the geology lectures on the Open University and considered taking it up but I never found the round tuit.  

Part of my degree is Open University Earth Sciences, including climate change and environment.

Bradgate Park also has the impressions of holdfasts of this beastie - predates shelly life. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charniodiscus

Added - I've led plenty of field trips all round the area

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright sunshine following a mild touch of frost.  I'm not sure if spring has sprung but buds are a budding and a local blackbird was clearly singing yesterday in the hop of attracting a suitable Mrs Blackbird although his tune wasn't in the very impressive category.

Apparently vaccination of over 70s here exceeds 90% = c.113,000 (by a couple of decimal points).  That equates to c.16% of the population of the county, a very different shape age pyramid from Norfolk.  

I understand a shopping expedition is in planning for this morning but I believe teh GD will be doing the driving part of the job.  Purchases will include the local 'paper where a councillor (who can be a bit of a nit) is front page news after suggesting that those who are fed up with HGVs passing their front doors should move.  The HGV thing is quite an area of complaint locally and although this particular councillor lives in our road he represents the ward where the HGV 'menace' is the cause of complaint so I doubt he'll be returned unhurt (if returned at all) at the next council election.   His ladship is highly amused by all of this as his opinion of his fellow councillor is be not mentioned in poiite company.

But the poor bloke - no doubt soon to be the subject of an effigy burnt on a bonfire - does have a point in some respects because while  the woman leading the anti-HGV is talking a bit of sense she is also spouting never ending streams of nonsense and invention.   And best of all she moved into a house on the official  HGV route a year or so after the County had published its HGV route strategy - easily accessed on the CC's website including pretty colours on a very clear map for those who don't understand the road numbering system.   So, understandably, if you don't like the noise and vibration caused by the passage of HGVs (and double decker 'buses which use the same route) it is hardly logical to buy a house right next to such a nuisance.  Bit like folk who move in next to a railway line and complain about the noise the trains make or moving into the country and complain ing about the noises made by farm animals.  On the other hand I'm perfectly entitled to complain about aircraft noise because i was here before we became a turning point on one of the LHR approach patterns (and in fact before jet turbine engines had appeared on most civil s aircraft).  I can hear the trains but they were here long before me. 

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I sympathise with Andyram’s situation. In my limited experience it seems to be the at-fault party who makes the most noise. But it is the no-fault party who ends up rattled and with even a good day spoiled. 

Let’s hope no more comes of it. 

Bear feels sure that Andyram will forget it very quickly, if not already.  As for the clown, he'll always be a Nob.

Nothing will come of it - the Police have no evidence or independent witnesses etc etc and Bear feels sure Mr. Nob was just trying a scare tactic.  Forget it.

11 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Agree with the suggestion of the dashcams Andy. Oh and friend Chris sends his regards

Night awl

Bear has front & rear dashcams hard-wired in.  a couple of suggestions:

1. Remove them if in any doubt about the area you are parked in - a smashed window and a nicked cam would be a right pain (though they are so cheap now that many reasonable makes are hardly worth nicking - Bear's rear cam is often less than forty quid).

2. Use a decent memory card, and erase/re-format it regularly - don't rely on the auto record-over function that most (all?) have.

3. It's worth mentioning that whilst a dashcam can be your friend, it can also be your enemy - in an accident of any significance the Police will look for and seize cams, mobiles etc. as possible evidence.  If you were doing 50 in a 30 limit expect to be bounced....

Bear gave the coving yet another coat of paint - it won't be getting any more.  Happy bunny.

The paint sample that Bear purchased yesterday appears so like that you can hardly see it on the lining paper.  A fiver down the drain - turdycurses.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Those vaccinated in my local area,

MSOA Local Authority                         

Stalham & Sea Palling, North Norfolk,  All ages 16+ 38.60%, 

Under 70 18.90%,  70-74 90.90%,  75-79 100.00%, 80+  95.30%

I'm guessing the slightly lower figure for the 80+ group, are those just too ill to take it..

My area under 70 age group is lower because it includes Stalham a small town, if you look at coastal areas alone most are in the 40%  and some in the 50%+

• Like 12