The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations Dom, Hope that mum and baby are well. Nearly finished the book that I found yesterday, interesting story with a twist at the end but still not at the end yet. Now back to the reading.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst we are dwelling in the east for a moment or two, let’s not forget the chic, celebrity adored, bathing resorts of Clacton, Southend and Canvey Island.

They are not a patch on Mablethorpe, Sutton On Sea, and Ingoldmells. 

If the wind is in the right direction the sewage treatment plant at Butlins can be detected miles away, even with a malfunctioning nose.  And don't forget the flies on a hot day. Usually the dead ones wash up in a black line with the incoming tide. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon Awl, 

Christmas happened, the house of strong ladies delivered, and for a change, it was a lady and British...

Rechargable Batteries for the PMR radios, 50 angle grinder cutting disks, a replacement CD for one that went missing between warehouse and delivery depot last week, and...some glue ..

I was just arriving back from the Big walk, as instructed by Ben the I want a walk Collie.,

Yesterday 1 daffodil was thinking about opening, today about 50 or 10% of the growing wild total en-route. Also flowering, wild primroses, and celandine. The farmers ditches are now well down on water levels, there are big piles of dredgings along the main dykes, I bet he wishes he'd had that done before this years heavy rain.. it will be tested heavily this week looking at the forecast.

Today however we set off with 100% cloud and returned with 100% blue skies..

Last week's 160  £200 fines seem to have paid off , yesterday just one car, today 1 other a 4x4 new ish Audi first registered in Wales.

Today's work,

One unit of shelving installed,  more bits made, and painted for the next section. But I'm out of MDF, so that's a landy trip tomorrow, later in the week the forecast is too wet and windy.

Trailer, 3/4 of the undersides and side, of the rear 2/3 is now wife brushed, and painted with zinc paint.

Next week fit the new axle, and then wire brush and zinc the front 1/3 .

Time to finish this glass of red, inspect eyelids. , Then a long soak in the bath.

By gum young man your missis must be very flexible to be brushed. Is she available for hire? - socially distanced of course.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations Dom, Hope that mum and baby are well. Nearly finished the book that I found yesterday, interesting story with a twist at the end but still not at the end yet. Now back to the reading.

I don't know what happened to this post, I thought I'd posted it a couple of hours ago.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Congratulations to Dom and elise - hope mother and baby are doing well.  Happy birthday to Dave H's Jill.

Today the G word str as I volunteered to give the front hedge an encounter with the hedgecutter.   Quite a job as I left it late last year due to the smaller birds enjoying it shelter and thought I'd better get in now before they start taking advantage of it once again for various activities.  A reasonable result was achieved hopefully in a manner which will cause it to grow out in the right places as i applied a tip given some weeks back on GQT (Gardeners' Question Time) - time and regrowth will tell.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Last week's 160  £200 fines seem to have paid off , yesterday just one car, today 1 other a 4x4 new ish Audi first registered in Wales.

How lucky can you get!  You couldn't get away with that over here: infringing on one rights, freedom of travel, etc.  Probably the fine would be disputed and upheld which would be the end of it!  Guns may even be drawn:o

Brian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

... as Bear described we can top up the UK one, it costs us a lot less per year than the figure he quoted though, presumably due to being offshore?

Yes, the buyback rates are much cheaper from ‘overseas’. My wife and I each bought back quite a few years of UK pension, given that our UK pensions were going to be frozen at the amount they would be when we first took them. The payback time on each year’s contribution was about 18 months, so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

Incidentally (and I hope this won’t be thought ‘political’) it appears that this subject of frozen UK pensions may be raised in any discussions between Canada and the UK on a post-Brexit trade deal. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, pH said:

Incidentally (and I hope this won’t be thought ‘political’) it appears that this subject of frozen UK pensions may be raised in any discussions between Canada and the UK on a post-Brexit trade deal

From the US, it seems we've been getting small increases in our UK pensions and we'll soon get our $1400 for nothing, courtesy of Good Old Joe!  Every little bit helps!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
+
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, brianusa said:

From the US, it seems we've been getting small increases in our UK pensions. Every little bit helps!

Brian.

Brian, UK pensions are indexed in the US at the same rate as in the UK. They are not indexed in Canada (or Australia, or New Zealand, or various other - mostly Commonwealth - countries).

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, brianusa said:

From the US, it seems we've been getting small increases in our UK pensions and we'll soon get our $1400 for nothing, courtesy of Good Old Joe!  Every little bit helps!

Brian.

Perhaps supporters of The Orange One will be turning such tokens down, for fear of compromising their principles.  Thought not.....:laugh:

Bear had a fairly unproductive day :( - a bit more painting done (part of the door frame, also the washing machine supply pipe) and tomorrow should see them finished.  Also the verticals marked in the correct places (hopefully!) for applying the lining paper, courtesy of a plumb bob & line.  Apart from that, not a great deal.  Must get my little furry ar5e moving tomorrow - clock's ticking....

In other news:

Bear noted with interest that Gwyneth Paltrow has kindly shared her undoubted expertise and wisdom regarding the treatment of Long Covid, apparently being a sufferer.  Such treatment involves the use of various obscure and expensive alternative remedies; fortunately her very own website and company just happens to sell them.  How thoughtful :angry:

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Such treatment involves the use of various obscure and expensive alternative remedies; fortunately her very own website and company just happens to sell them.

Hopefully no "scented" candles are recommended as therapeutic.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just a quick visit as today is Jill's birthday so I am chief cook, bottle washer and everything else so opportunities for visiting ERs have been pretty much non existent. 

Cheers All

Dave

Happy Birthday to Jill, mate.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

May I add my congratulations to Dom and Elise.  We are now just about 3 weeks away from becoming grandparents for the first time.  When we will get to see the grandchild is another matter though.

Today Mrs G got her jab, although it involved a 90 mile round trip to get it.  As she hadn’t been contacted by the GP surgery, we got her appointment at the nearest mass Vaccination centre, which was in Ulverston in the south of the county.  It was just as well we allowed plenty of time to get there, as there was a road closure, with a diversion which sent us down a rutted pot-holed farm track which was ludicrous.  If they had erected closure notices 2 miles earlier, we could have diverted via a road with actual tarmac!!  Then we seemed to get held up by horse boxes, tractors etc.  The vaccination centre was at the Sports Club for GlaxoSmithKline, which was a trip down memory lane for me as I worked at their Ulverston site for 4 years, just over 40 years ago.  Most of the buildings I had worked in are now demolished, with onLy one recognisable building still on the site.  We then went for a short walk alongside the Ulverston Canal, on a path which I had never used all those years ago.

On our return journey, we saw a “convoy” of at least 12 motor bikers out for their “essential” Sunday afternoon outing.  I know we are coming to the end of lockdown, but this was a complete joke!  Despite all the hassle getting there and back, it was rather nice just to get away for half a day.  Being nice and sunny certainly helped.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6