The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

The fine goes up to £5K as from next week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56493002

Yet they bitch, moan and threaten the UK, accusing us of blocking vaccine exports to the EU....

In other news:

Bear found this, which makes for interesting (and scary) reading; I'm quite a fan of the film (the fact that it's got Julia Roberts playing the lead is pure coincidence you understand :wink_mini: ):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56462793

I'd better get my little fluffy ar5e moving now - still not dressed, bed to make, sorting to do and the Tiler's due at nine....

America has a terrible record for environmental protection. There are some states that are 'supposed' to be quite progressive, California being the most well known but compared to us and Europe they are so far behind its unbelievable.

One of the factors is that because of country being so big there is a tendency to move away from the problem rather than stay put and reuse. There was a fascinating documentary a few years ago about how they get rid of their waste mainly by land fill as they just don't recycle.

I'm certain some of our ER's will be able to comment in more detail on this. It is something that i feel quite strongly about given my background.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Editor cleared (again) and once I took 30747 to work, went for petrol, and then back via the Post Office to send off a pair of 30747's unwanted and unworn shoes (bought for £25.99 in a sale, and sold for £30 so only a small profit and probably nil after eBay fees), and walking Lily, I can now get back to ERs - only skim read posts, as it appears that today's task is to list a load more stuff to eBay - wow, none is mine apart from three railway books which nobody seems to want - how can I be selling a good copy of Steam Finale North and it not having any interest?

And generic greetings are, of course, on offer.

Meantime, music lovers might like to hear another offering from Foxes and Fossils, which somehow escaped my inbox, but is IMHO better than Elton John's original - something that this band seem to excel at - with the members in five states in the USA, one must marvel at the production skills involved - even with all the technology, it must take some doing.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

Well that was a nice but short walk before breakfast today. I've had a really bad back for a couple of days now, so decided that a walk might loosen it up a bit, which it has.:dancer:

Bit dull still, but not so cold so can't complain, and if I do, it won't do much good anyway, so might just as well get on with life, and enjoy every day of it, you never know when it may be your last.:swoon:

And on that cheery note, I will bid you all a good day.

Stay safe and well, one and all.:good:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The  operative word is culture, it will require a massive change in culture before anything is done. 

Culture, isn’t that the stuff that grows in a Petri dish?

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 15

10 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

The weather today has stayed dull and cool, but like yesterday, by mid afternoon it had changed and the sun was shining. 

Anyway, I stayed in the cellar all day, apart from going outside to since out my bucket and an old cloth. The brickwork around the fireplace has been stripped of paint and is now ready for varnishing. The fireplace itself will be the next thing to tackle as I want to get all the old blacklead of it so that it can be painted. I’m going to spray paint it using a can, but instead of using a can indoors (not recommended) I’m going to decant some paint into a jar and use my airbrush. I’ll have more control over the amount of paint going on and it’ll also reduce the amount of overspray too! Before all that takes place, there are some small bits of pointing to do to the brickwork, to replace that which has been dislodged during the paint stripping process. 

Here’s a photo showing how it currently looks

5B83116B-514B-4999-93EF-413E042C464C.jpeg.ab1c5ce7670b5bcaebd0ab5d6e60f9e7.jpeg

After tea I collected our prescriptions and completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. The last few items were acquired for the kids Easter presents, oh, and there was an offer on wine, so the wine cellar was restocked as well. 

I guess you are not planning to use the fire if you are using paint and varnish, those items and heat/flames sounds a dangerous combination.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

America has a terrible record for environmental protection. There are some states that are 'supposed' to be quite progressive, California being the most well known but compared to us and Europe they are so far behind its unbelievable.

One of the factors is that because of country being so big there is a tendency to move away from the problem rather than stay put and reuse. There was a fascinating documentary a few years ago about how they get rid of their waste mainly by land fill as they just don't recycle.

I'm certain some of our ER's will be able to comment in more detail on this. It is something that i feel quite strongly about given my background.

I believe there is the California bottle bill that puts a deposit on bottles and the deposit varies on the size of the bottle

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

As for banning or fining people for foreign travel, what's taken them so long?

Brian. 

The government are frightened of the extremely wealthy with their private jets. They all belong to the same 'club' and probably donate to the Conservatives in many and various ways. One only had to look at the number of aircraft flying during the first lockdown to see just how many people were making long distance international flights. 

I'm afraid it is always going to be one rule for them and another for the rest of us. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I guess you are not planning to use the fire if you are using paint and varnish, those items and heat/flames sounds a dangerous combination.

No, the fire will not be used at all. It'll merely be for decorative purposes. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a phone call "All BT lines will be disconnected in the next few hours."  An obvious scam as I'm not even with BT. I dialled 1471 to be told the call was from a network "That does not transmit numbers." Its about time that if a network doesn't transmit numbers the whole network is blocked.

• Agree 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The government are frightened of the extremely wealthy with their private jets. They all belong to the same 'club' and probably donate to the Conservatives in many and various ways. One only had to look at the number of aircraft flying during the first lockdown to see just how many people were making long distance international flights. 

I'm afraid it is always going to be one rule for them and another for the rest of us. 

This took far to long.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-members-shrewsbury-24-win-23778204#source=push

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just had a phone call "All BT lines will be disconnected in the next few hours."  An obvious scam as I'm not even with BT. I dialled 1471 to be told the call was from a network "That does not transmit numbers." Its about time that if a network doesn't transmit numbers the whole network is blocked.

I had a call on my mobile yesterday from the "National Fraud Office" (from a mobile number) and they were keen to tell me via an automated message (took them ages to press the play button) that my National Insurance Number had been suspended.    I didn't wait to find out how this could be fixed I just told them to B off!

I've noticed that many "agencies" are now using mobiles to contact their "clients".   

BT Open Reach obviously just priced themselves out of the market then no doubt :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I had a call on my mobile yesterday from the "National Fraud Office" (from a mobile number) and they were keen to tell me via an automated message (took them ages to press the play button) that my National Insurance Number had been suspended.    I didn't wait to find out how this could be fixed I just told them to B off!

I've noticed that many "agencies" are now using mobiles to contact their "clients".   

BT Open Reach obviously just priced themselves out of the market then no doubt :biggrin_mini2:

Looks like a scam to me.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

I had an email last night saying my pay as you go TV licence was going to be suspended and should click the link below so sort it out.

Needless to say, it was deleted without using the link. 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1