Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Read this and then saw the article on Argentina 'policemens' families and the effect it had on them.

Luckily after they lost the Falklands War the Junta fell. Throwing people into the sea from aircraft isnt the done thing  even though sometimes we wish it would happen to certain sections of society eg drug dealers. Although we moan about our governments (which ever in charge) we are lucky theynot like that. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Good morning, for it is still thus!

Chris: were you a born pessimist or is it a skill that you have developed over the years?

It is something you're given when you first start working for the Civil Service.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Argentina has since 1976 had series of totally incompetent governments, the only good thing about them is it isn't the military, it is often descendants of the Peronistas in charge. Currently   they have run out of money to buy votes with and created inflation of  over 50% .

I've been updating my spreadsheets on Blue Moon and trying various set ups to produce the best figures. The main problem being, at max hull Speed with a water temperature of 10C She only Just gets above a Reynolds figure of 500.000. That's the figure  most rudder designs are supposed to start at.. If I search for low Reynolds figure Rudders there just aren't any. There's a recommendation about  going thinner, but that's about it There is some research about really low figures 10,000-80,000  for radio controlled models and Drones , but nothing covering 100,000 to 500,000 that Blue Moon will operate in.

As NHN says a high rate of turn with low drag is the desirable choice, but often with low drag comes the lack of ability of the rudder to keep it's grip as vortexes form on the rudder. If hydrodynamic, a thick rudder grips the water better, but a thick rudder of course has more drag..

I do wonder if I should be looking at a Fiseler Storch not a 777 for examples..

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I read that as well. Getting rid of the junta was the one benefit for the Argentinian people of the Falkland war.

It was an enormous benefit, probably far more important in terms of global history  than Britain's retention of the Falklands (though that certainly was important) Getting rid of tyrants benefits the entire human race.  While looking for that one I spotted another good BBC Story: "the London bus trip that saved maybe a million lives". Given the dire level of our current crop of "populist" polticians, thank goodness for the quality of Britain's scientists. 

Back to not so early risers. I managed my morning walkies (4.2km according to the app)  just before the "more organised" rain arrived (I've always been amused by that term from weather forecasters - as if the purpose of rain is to spoil our day but doing so requires "organisation"). The closed public golf course I and others walk on with plenty of safe distancing is being mowed in preparation for re-opening- not that it being closed has ever put off groups of four or five golfers from enjoying non socially distanced games. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had brunch as my morning bath was a bit late due to having to sort out the boiler. Fingers crossed that it isn't a leak but keeping an eye on it. The wind outside is a bit gusty and its come over a bit grey and overcast. Not that it bothers me as Railway Bylines has dropped onto the mat together with a couple of other magazines so I know what I will be doing for the next couple of hours.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Perhaps a moot point:

53 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Union Jack (which might provoke some strong feelings in some quarters but was usually flown by ex-pat Brits)

Unless it is flown from the Jack Staff on a ship, is it not the Union FLAG?

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, TheQ said:

As NHN says a high rate of turn with low drag is the desirable choice, but often with low drag comes the lack of ability of the rudder to keep it's grip as vortexes form on the rudder. If hydrodynamic, a thick rudder grips the water better, but a thick rudder of course has more drag..

Thrust Vector Control, that's what you need not a rudder, it's all the rage these days  :D

What a nice (but ungainly) aeroplane the Fieseler Storch was.   Such a shame the one that used to live not 10 miles from me was sold and moved abroad a few years back.    One of the lessons the then owner learnt was an adaption of the old story;

How do you make a small fortune with your Fieseler Storch?  

Start with a large one ..... 

Those Argus engine rebuilds were very costly (and I think there were at least two of them)!

Shame about the wind noise but there you go

• Like 13

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Argentina has since 1976 had series of totally incompetent governments, the only good thing about them is it isn't the military, it is often descendants of the Peronistas in charge. Currently   they have run out of money to buy votes with and created inflation of  over 50% .

I've been updating my spreadsheets on Blue Moon and trying various set ups to produce the best figures. The main problem being, at max hull Speed with a water temperature of 10C She only Just gets above a Reynolds figure of 500.000. That's the figure  most rudder designs are supposed to start at.. If I search for low Reynolds figure Rudders there just aren't any. There's a recommendation about  going thinner, but that's about it There is some research about really low figures 10,000-80,000  for radio controlled models and Drones , but nothing covering 100,000 to 500,000 that Blue Moon will operate in.

Whilst not wishing to 'diss' your efforts at research Q but I'm a firm believer in 'cheating' - it was the one thing I learnt from twenty odd years of local authority servitude.. Can't you just 'copy' a rudder of a similar sized boat. Yes I know it wouldn't be perfect but I suspect that even one you made yourself would have some degree of compromise in it.

Anyway it was just thought. I shall now go back outside having consumed my two ham, tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches with an apricot fool yogurt for afters. I may be some time.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

did some muddling, then went a walk (sunny but very chilly!), then a bit more muddling, then lunch , then made up a parcel, walked to the post office to post it then.. mugadecaff time!

@PupCam  they are called water jets in ship parlance.. not like a jetavator  as used in Swingfire, or "Bonkers" as used in HVMs...

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. When I opened my copy of Railway Bylines a voucher dropped out, a voucher for free beer no less. There doesn't appear to be any strings attached and they say that they will send eight different beers. I might have been tempted if I wasn't teetotal.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear suspects a leaky rad - or failing that a leaky valve; failing that it's the pipework under the floorboards (I think I've covered all options there?).  If there's a damp patch downstairs then is there a mark on the ceiling too?  If enough water was spilled during the bleeding exercise I think you'd probably know about it.

Upon examination it appears it might be a leaky valve, the radiator is the newest in the house. Directly below the radiator is a conduit, the water ran down the outside of that. There's no sign of any dampness now but I'm keeping an eye on it.

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Thrust Vector Control, that's what you need not a rudder, it's all the rage these days  :D

What a nice (but ungainly) aeroplane the Fieseler Storch was.   Such a shame the one that used to live not 10 miles from me was sold and moved abroad a few years back.    One of the lessons the then owner learnt was an adaption of the old story;

How do you make a small fortune with your Fieseler Storch?  

Start with a large one ..... 

Those Argus engine rebuilds were very costly (and I think there were at least two of them)!

Shame about the wind noise but there you go

Many are now flying with small P&W radials as fitted by the French post-war.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is something you're given when you first start working for the Civil Service.

Was that before or after you learn how to make a large pot of tea?

• Funny 15

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Mostly Australian flags, mostly flown correctly, but variations included the State flag (each state has its own variant of the national flag), Union Jack (which might provoke some strong feelings in some quarters but was usually flown by ex-pat Brits) and the Cross of St. George.  

I'd offer that the national Australian flag was made in the tradition of the prior colonial flags (which on Federation became state flags) - each a defaced British blue ensign, usually with the colonial heraldic badge centrally placed toward the fly. Use of such flags was the purview of the government. Maritime flags used a similarly defaced red ensign.

Flags flying by private individuals does indeed have a strong connection to Ballarat. 

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Flags flew above rough camps and tents of those "diggers" who came from around the world to the goldfields of the Ballarat region.

Miners protesting miners' license fees imposed by the colony of Victoria raised the Eureka flag* (to which they swore allegiance) at the Eureka stockade in 1854.

* Blue with a stylized "Southern cross".

It's not too different in spirit from sailors allegedly raising the red flag of mutiny over the Union flag** during the mutiny at the Nore in 1797, lending the colour red to revolutionaries and a large number of world flags in the 20th century.

** Sans the cross of St. Patrick which was not introduced to the Union flag until 1801 after the 1800 Act of Union.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Luckily after they lost the Falklands War the Junta fell. Throwing people into the sea from aircraft isnt the done thing  even though sometimes we wish it would happen to certain sections of society eg drug dealers. Although we moan about our governments (which ever in charge) we are lucky theynot like that. 

Oi no polluting the sea, I go fishing in there............................

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Funny 14

12 hours ago, polybear said:

At times like this it pays to send off a copy of any dashcam footage anonymously to the local nick - hopefully the driver will get a visit to "discuss" his driving skills...

Let he who lives in glass houses, throw the first stones!  Or something like that!  It is doubtful that many, in years of driving, have not erred and luckily the law was not at hand to witness the omission.  Personally, I have a certain tolerance for dodgy driving which is just as well as you see it virtually every day on the road; who knows who will be next and if I should err on the quiet, I should hate to find someone sent  a report to the law without my consent or knowledge. :devil:

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Personally, I have a certain tolerance for dodgy driving which is just as well as you see it virtually every day on the road

But surely there are limits and the episode described far exceeded "dodgy driving" and was clearly (I might even say criminally) reckless with a clear and blatant disregard for the safety of others!

I have to say when "Joe Racer" screams past me and hurtles up to the next blind, tree lined corner there is a part of me that, shall we say, would not be too upset if when I rounded the corner I saw that they had well and truly planted the vehicle and themselves into a good mature oak - lets call it natural selection.  Lets hope that if such a thing occurred it did so before they'd had the chance to pass their genes on, both on the grounds of selection and to prevent trauma to their offspring.   Of course the really very sad part of such a scenario is that the chances are there would also be unforgivable, innocent collateral damage because of the law of Mr Sxd.

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

But surely there are limits and the episode described far exceeded "dodgy driving" and was clearly (I might even say criminally) reckless with a clear and blatant disregard for the safety of others!

I have to say when "Joe Racer" screams past me and hurtles up to the next blind, tree lined corner there is a part of me that, shall we say, would not be too upset if when I rounded the corner I saw that they had well and truly planted the vehicle and themselves into a good mature oak - lets call it natural selection.  Lets hope that if such a thing occurred it did so before they'd had the chance to pass their genes on, both on the grounds of selection and to prevent trauma to their offspring.   Of course the really very sad part of such a scenario is that the chances are there would also be unforgivable, innocent collateral damage because of the law of Mr Sxd.

I hope they don't hurt the tree....

• Like 2
  • Agree 11