The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Back on to names, My Dad, was George Samuel Roy, but was only ever known as Roy to all and sundry. 

That would not have been unusual in the Scottish Borders in earlier times. With a limited number of family names, a name like John Graham would not have been very distinctive. So he would be known by his father’s and grandfather’s name as well e.g. James’s William’s John Graham. I worked with a guy from Northern Ireland whose family still named sons that way. He was William (his grandfather) David (his father) Samuel - known as Sam.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As do many people in the HR/hiring community - sadly with some unintended (?) consequences based on experiments* where identical CVs are submitted with 'white sounding' versus 'other race' sounding names. The 'other race' sounding names were rejected at a substantially higher rate.

* US-based, I believe.

We used to remove the first page of all application forms with candidates personal information on, before they went to the relevant manager for shortlisting - shortlisting should not be done by HR.   This thinned out some discrimination, but when your degree is from the University of Nairobi as opposed to Durham, it gave a clue!  The NHS of course has always had a good record of employing overseas staff, partially out of necessity.  Discrimination of any type was not an issue in the three NHS Trusts I worked in.  

As for the names thing, the final irony is my mother's maiden name was Christian.  But we aren't.... :rolleyes:  LOL

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I watched the Grand National and heard my horse mentioned once near the beginning, but never again. I assumed it must have fell at the second, so watched the re-run only to discover it was pulled up at fence 29 (out of 30). Must have been a game old thing to last that long, but probably so far behind that it was never in the camera shots. As I had no money on it, I don't mind.

Bear notes with dismay that yet another horse has lost it's life to this race :cry: - the sooner they ban it the better IMHO.

I had a policy of never being a part of the office sweepstake for "A Horse in the National" for this very reason.

In other news:

Bear has had a productive morning have a good "touch up" :laugh: - the paint pots are now confined to the shed, at least until after the units and worktop are fitted; at that point I need to fit one last strip of lining paper and then paint it (I can't do it yet cos' I can't exactly predict where the units will finish on one wall - so don't know where the wall tiles will end either, which affects where the paper will end.  Confused?  Me too....)

Now it's fit some sockets time - I like that bit :yes:

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear notes with dismay that yet another horse has lost it's life to this race :cry: - the sooner they ban it the better IMHO.

I had a policy of never being a part of the office sweepstake for "A Horse in the National" for this very reason.

In other news:

Bear has had a productive morning have a good "touch up" :laugh: - the paint pots are now confined to the shed, at least until after the units and worktop are fitted; at that point I need to fit one last strip of lining paper and then paint it (I can't do it yet cos' I can't exactly predict where the units will finish on one wall - so don't know where the wall tiles will end either, which affects where the paper will end.  Confused?  Me too....)

Now it's fit some sockets time - I like that bit :yes:

Well PB it comes to us all when we reach that certain time of life when we need some 'touch ups'. No shame in admitting it. In fact you should be rather proud of the fact that you can admit it. There are some who go to any end of lengths to conceal the fact. No names, no packdrill.:secret:

. Just one word of caution though if I may. Make certain you blend the touch ups in. Yes I know you'll do your best but what with t you being bi-colour you'll have do them one colour at a time so make certain you give plenty of time between coats. Don't be tempted to rush it. :D

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was having a real go this morning but a long soak in the bath and a couple of Nurofen have seen him off.

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The other extreme is to say that people can do what they want, live their lives as they did pre-pandemic but indicate that there will be no treatment provided for individuals coming down with Covid and thus allow the disease to rip through the population, culling the elderly, infirm, the vulnerable and genitically susceptible. At the end of the pandemic, which would be relatively short lived, the remaining population would be resistant to disease.

Neither option is truly viable for many reasons on many levels. The first option is certainly doable in a totalitarian state (Including keeping borders shut after the pandemic has subsided internally); the second option would not be considered morally and ethically acceptable even in the most brutal dictatorship. Yet it was the latter option that brought all the pandemics that occurred before the 19th century to an end.

Food for thought?

The second option is what happened in the Spanish flu epidemic just over 100 years ago.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning (only just though) all.

Blue sky, fluffy clouds, not at all warm though. 
Aditi was very amused at Flavio’s suggestion that he imagined me to be a David Niven lookalike. I have met and spoken to Flavio some years ago at an exhibition so the actor I probably most resemble is an extra in a crowd scene. 
Aditi said she couldn’t think of an actor I looked like, sort of general Nordic type. I said did she mean like the chap who plays Thor in the Marvel films. She said definitely not. Back to being in crowd scenes then.

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Once again I'm late on parade today, partly due to having breakfast in bed but also getting on with some work in the garden. 

I've made a start on pegging out the wheelbarrow run in the path. I'm currently sat on the bench under the workshop window having a break with a muggertea in the sunshine. We had some overnight frost last night, I even had to brush ice off the bench before I could use it. The skies are getting a bit dark but the sun is making a valiant attempt to continue shining. 

Must crack on, stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just another thought on naming. When my nephew (Josh) was about to be born there was discussion in his Dad’s family about naming him after the most recently deceased grandparent. Aditi’s sister said she was not going to name a child of hers “Wolf”.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

I relaxed too soon when I mentioned doing nothing earlier, because as SWMBO was trying to hang out some washing, the rotary drier collapsed because the bottom of the pole had rusted away. 

I have a galvanised tube which would fit in the hole, but on digging out some rusty pieces of metal I discovered there seemed to be some form of thick plastic sleeve almost welded to the concrete hole. This means the diameter is too small for the spare galvanised tube.

I spent ages trying to wedge a screwdriver between the concrete and the plastic, but to no avail. I wonder if the whole block was manufactured that way? Anyway, I tried an extreme option of adding some white spirit to a piece of rag pushed into the hole and setting that alight. The hope was that it would get hot enough to melt the plastic. It must have had some effect because I could chip bits away with a large screwdriver afterwards. 

In the end I managed to get the galvanised tube a few inches into the hole, with the help of a sledgehammer, and the drier pole to slot into that. It is not perfect, but seems stable enough for the moment. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

and setting that alight

So many “diy gone wrong” stories begin with that phrase though in your case a concrete block in the garden sounds quite reasonable. 

• Agree 12

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morning (only just though) all.

Blue sky, fluffy clouds, not at all warm though. 
Aditi was very amused at Flavio’s suggestion that he imagined me to be a David Niven lookalike. I have met and spoken to Flavio some years ago at an exhibition so the actor I probably most resemble is an extra in a crowd scene. 
Aditi said she couldn’t think of an actor I looked like, sort of general Nordic type. I said did she mean like the chap who plays Thor in the Marvel films. She said definitely not. Back to being in crowd scenes then.

Loki?!

• Like 8
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I didn't see any reference to that. Even when I did a cursory internet search none of the multiple news organizations (UK and US) reported on that aspect. Most of them quoted "dignity and grace" and "irreplaceable loss" which is the sort of mostly harmless stuff one expects in such statements of condolences.

Very interesting - and probably sensibly edited out in the Uk and Commonwealth. Trump is capable of saying more than any other living person thinks possible. Edit: The closest I can find in the UK is on the BBC website under USA and Canada where he is quoted as saying: "....irreplaceable loss for  Great Britain and for all who hold dear our civilization." under quotes from living Presidents (maybe they also held back quotes from the dead ones)...

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

On my Maiden's side our surname changed from Heyburn to Hepburn and finally to Hadler at the turn of the last century after a family squabble over ownership of a flint quarry in Birnam Woods (the same) was resolved in the House of Lords. All these names were once fairly common south and southwest of Edinburgh.  I remember my Grandmother grinding her teeth visiting Hepburn, the butchers in Shenfield. My Father's side originated around Ludlow (A town I regret to say have never visited and unlikely to do so now). Pete.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Daily constitutional completed. Some very ominous looking dark clouds out there now but I won't be going out again today. Why are the BBC retransmitting R4 on R4 extra. News 24 is still finding a procession of people who once met Prince Philip that they hadn't interviewed in the past forty eight hours. Fortunately BBC WS is covering the Duke's passing properly but sensibly and actually reporting everything else of significance that's going on in the world. 

Movie alert- Talking Pictures TV are showing Emperor of the North at 10PM this evening. A typically violent Robert Aldrich men fighting men film with Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine and  Keith Carradine but, if you're interested in steam era American railroading. absolutely fascinating. Sadly, I believe the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern on which it was filmed has since closed and is now a trail (footpath). Cottage Grove Oregon where it was filmed was apparently also a location for Buster Keaton's The General.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, from a very chilly dale. Woke up this morning to find the world had gone white, half an inch of snow may not be the new Ice Age but it's not welcome in April. Still, I'm saving a fortune in gym fees, carrying troughs and pots in and out of cover is wonderful exercise. They're staying where they are until Tuesday, every night is forecast to be a frosty one. Apparently some grape-growers/vintners over in France have been hit hard by hard frosts lately. Some say there may be a shortage of certain wines due to the damage.

I wouldn't care to suggest who might play myself in the film of my life. Too much opportunity for insult... Let's just say I prefer to be behind a camera rather than in front of one. Or if you're being critical, you could say 'better suited'. 

Offering condolences is another minefield. It's so easy to say the wrong thing. But say nothing and you're seen as a heartless *. I have a eulogy to compose, though it's likely to be a while before it's given. I want to avoid cliches and platitudes, but cannot afford to be excessively honest. So it's something of a tightrope. It must be far worse for those families dealing with losing someone in the public eye. 

Not much done today, some G-word,  some paperwork and some housework. Not a very exciting day so far in this burrow. However, chocolate cake due to be created shortly, so I had better practice my lines ... "Come in Mr Bear/Hippo, I have been expecting you...". 

• Like 15

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The first is to lock down the country completely for a month. Everyone confined to their living quarters, no one allowed out (and transgressors severely and immediately punished with up to and including summary execution) and the borders shut to all traffic: co

Food for thought?

Certainly food to eat would be appreciated. I can imagine most "homes" would have only a weeks supply of food at most. Then you would have to deal with malnutrition and even starvation (particularly amongst the elderly).

I'd call it "draconian" because the vast majority who have actually had Covid - 19 (like me, I'm 69) thought it rather over rated. I used to be a heavy smoker too. I even conceived the thought that it was a practice run for something really serious...

By the way it has only just now really reached the far south of Italy according to my relatives down in Basilicata. The distances between towns and villages and their location in the old hilltop "strongholds" may have helped. Last time I was down there they took me to a castle between Tricarico and Matera and proudly showed me the sign that it had been built by (and garrisoned with English troops) "English King William the Bastard" direct translation from the Italian... This was when the locals were continually fighting off Arabic invaders and why they built their villages the way they did.

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was having a real go this morning but a long soak in the bath and a couple of Nurofen have seen him off.

The second option is what happened in the Spanish flu epidemic just over 100 years ago.

Let us just remember that it was American soldiers who actually brought the so called 'Spanish Flu' to Europe so it should really be the USA of A Flu.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has been making his presence felt but more Ibuforen has been taken to quiet him down. Bright and sunny still outside but still a bit on the chilly side. Tea has brewed so its be back later. Oops nearly forgot, good to see Trisonic back. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1