The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I used a loft mounted TV booster for some time as we are on the limits of TV reception being over 40miles from the nearest transmitter and at a low height... It did work.

Only when the analogue was switched off , and they boosted digital transmissions did we get a good signal without a booster.

Boosters are however not that reliable, they don't like the temperature extremes of a loft, and as they are of course sensitive to signals a nearby lightening storm may blow them while not affecting anything else..

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Airfares start  around $400 return, not sure how that is compared before all this so I can't say if they are pricing it low to get business back, or high to recoup losses. Just converting that to pounds is a bit  meaningless given difference in cost of living  and wages so as a comparison that's about a quarter average weekly earnings here so based on that it would be 190 pounds return.

kia ora.

Bear did convert to GBP - £222, accordinging to Alexa.  She also tells me Auckland is 1200-ish miles from Sydney, so whilst this airfare is more B.A. than Easyjet money it does sound pretty fair to this Bear.  £222 is certainly higher than a quarter average weekly wage in the UK - actually something like half, according to the 'net.

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The only downside to this method is the cellar floor is getting very muddy, but I can live with this, if the mess stays contained to just the cellar, meaning a lot less cleaning is required upstairs. 

Muddy?  Beware marauding Hippo's - and hide the cake tin.....

(This Public Information Broadcast was brought to you by Bear - feel free to show your appreciation by posting LDC.....I'm right out :cry: )

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The installer's view was that boosters are pointless if you aren't getting a strong enough signal in the first place because - as he explained it - a booster can't boost what isn't there to boost.   

if you can improve the gain on the aerial that is a different matter but indoor boosters, he explained, won't really help if you're getting a patchy or weak signal in the first place.

True, but a Booster will boost what signal is there....

Cynical Bear* suspects that Mr. Installer doesn't like boosters cos' they're a DIY fix, which doesn't put money in his pocket; putting up a bigger aerial most certainly does though.

Cynical Bear* has been boosted just in time for a planned meet-up today with one of Bear's work buddy's at lunchtime, in a B&Q car park dangerously close to a certain ex-employer of Bear's.  Buddy still works there - but only until Sept (Dec?) cos' he's banging out early too.  He positively revels in his job sorting and disposing of redundant cr*p, aka equipment that cost the taxpayer an absolute fortune - and some....plus a bit more....  The company won't realise what they've done until he's gone, but hey, HR know best....

On the downside this meeting will take place shortly before a visit to the Goober Vet, fortunately for just a check-up (I hope) but with the very nature of LDC being what it is you never can tell.

Hey, it's now only 07:18 and Bear's ready to go and get washed.  Bear has decided that the 06:30 alarm should now be 06:00 in order to get more done - I was awake before the alarm, so not a killer.  Yet....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

How do!

There are some desperate people about.  One seems to think that I bank with HSBC, for he/she/it sent me a text referring to a payment from my alleged HSBC account to someone that I may or may not know – Jones is such a common surname.  This sort of thing is so tiresome but it keeps me on my toes, I suppose.

Hotels in Paris – only one so far.  It was an Ibis somewhere near Bercy with unnecessarily compact rooms.  I was on a steam railtour, I mean endurance test.  In the fullness of time I may need to find somewhere within easy reach of Gare de Lyon for an overnight stop on my way south.  The trip concerned is very much an aspiration but appears feasible.  As for frog pubs, I have only visited one so far – the Frog and Rosbif, near Etienne Marcel station on Metro line 4.  The beer I had rejoiced in the name of Paris Lytic and was of suitably high octane.  I think there are six outlets in Paris and may check on www.frogpubs.com later.

Today should see the ironing done but don’t look too closely.  There will be a fodder run too.  Oh, the excitement.  Best wishes to all

Chris

In Paris, more traditional hotels are available in great numbers and often a better option than the modern rabbit hutches.

My parents used to break their rail journeys at the Hotel du Musee, a bit downstream on the Seine from Austerlitz. Walkable from Gare de Lyon if weather OK.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning, also tropical here by Jamie's system of measure, 9c!

Our second day of freedom will be marked by an extraordinary general meeting of the old farts bike club, we can't wait until Friday so are having a breakfast get-together this morning to practice.  Then a run out somewhere for more coffee.  And talk crepe all morning of course.

Our local TV mast is about 2 miles from us, we get little more than static from it - trees in the way, low lying land, low lying house.  So we get our terrestrial signal from Northern Ireland, which is....awful.  The content, I mean. Depressing.

We also have whatever channels we can get for free from Sky, using a card we have had for 18 years.....I suspect not having a telephone line plugged in to the box keeps it live!  We can get what passes for local news on Sky which is from BBC Manchester, we do get an occasional mention when they have something unpleasant to say about us.  They don't do positive news.  We also get about 40 channels on Freeview on the NI signal, but they come and go frequently for some reason.  The DVR gets a lot more than either TV, it must have a more sensitive receiver.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Bullsh1t Bingo of the Day:

NASA Employee being interviewed on Telly last night, following their escapades flying a wokka on Mars.  Her title?  "Ingenuity Project Manager".  Hmmm.....

Or:

Sign outside an Indian Covid Vaccination Centre, which reads:

".....the BKC Covid Vaccination Centre will be non-functional temporarily until further orders".

What's wrong with "Closed"?  Hmmm......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56797689

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

59 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, also tropical here by Jamie's system of measure, 9c!

Our second day of freedom will be marked by an extraordinary general meeting of the old farts bike club, we can't wait until Friday so are having a breakfast get-together this morning to practice.  Then a run out somewhere for more coffee.  And talk crepe all morning of course.

Our local TV mast is about 2 miles from us, we get little more than static from it - trees in the way, low lying land, low lying house.  So we get our terrestrial signal from Northern Ireland, which is....awful.  The content, I mean. Depressing.

We also have whatever channels we can get for free from Sky, using a card we have had for 18 years.....I suspect not having a telephone line plugged in to the box keeps it live!  We can get what passes for local news on Sky which is from BBC Manchester, we do get an occasional mention when they have something unpleasant to say about us.  They don't do positive news.  We also get about 40 channels on Freeview on the NI signal, but they come and go frequently for some reason.  The DVR gets a lot more than either TV, it must have a more sensitive receiver.

Well that'll teach you for living in 'foreign climes'. 

Oh and leave BBC Manchester alone. It does a very nice job of negativity. You get your own channel if you want run it down.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

12 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Evenin' folks.

I think I'm failing the ER bit of this thread......

Wil try and make a post tomorrow morning, that's if work doesn't get in the way (again).

On a separate note @andyram seems to have been in absentia for a while, hope you're ok mate!

Stay safe, sleep well and stay sane.

Well that failed!

Been awake since 06:00 and at work since 07:30.......

Anyway - mornin' all :)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

more sunshine so it should be a pleasant walk doen to teh surgery for jabbing tomorrow if the weather continues as forecast.  and yes, I do know where my little card is ;)

As for hotels near the Gare du Lyon Mrs Stationmaster and i stayed in one many years ago which on reflection was probably too near so it attracted the wrong sort of custom.  Very clean and a nice breakfast of the French sort but the various noises overnight convinced us that we were probably staying in a place which made more money from very short lets for 'knocking' purpose than it did from overnight guests.  I used to regularly stop in a somewhat ancient looking hotel in Mainz  (which was very handy for the Hbf)  whenever I had meetings in Frankfurt and although I doubt the interior had been refitted since the post-war clean up it definitely wasn't a knocking shop - that was just round the corner and readily identified by a big neon sign outside :blink:

Bear to note that as the installer actually installed the booster for the multiple feeds (ion his recommendation) I don't think he had anything against such things.   As Tony has noted some of the digital signals can get a bit flaky at times and this appears to be down to transmitter problems or outages rather than anything else.

I hope things come good, or at least improve, today for Dave's dad and that he is moved to teh right place.  The NHS  get it right sometimes so hopefully this will be one of them.   Hoping to that gordon's progress continues on an upward curve.

Have a good day everyone and stay safe (if those around you allow).  Alas I see the stable door into Britain from India is also falling into the being bolted after the beast has already entered category - not clever once again.

• Like 19

14 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Had a phone call today from the hospital to say that Dad has been declared medically fit for discharge. He still can't get out of bed, walk or even stand unaided,...

Whilst it is extremely good news that your dad is getting better, Dave. I would seriously contest that hospital’s definition of “medically fit“ 

When I had bilateral knee protheses inserted, I was kept in hospital until I could walk, by myself, with the aid of crutches.  It was still necessary to have assistance to get out of bed (only because I couldn’t, at that time, bend my knees without significant pain), but when I was discharged I went straight to an orthopaedic rehabilitation unit for further care.  In all, I was under medical care and/or supervision for the best part of a month.

Let’s hope you can get your dad placed in a place best suited for both of you.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

.....NASA Employee being interviewed on Telly last night, following their escapades flying a wokka on Mars.  Her title?  "Ingenuity Project Manager".  Hmmm.....

Captain Cynical would say that the more impressive the title, the less power the holder has (and - more than likely - the less able they are). Furthermore, lately in the Anglo-Saxon world there has been a lot of job title inflation (especially in the US).  Thus, with job title inflation Mr P Bear would be a “Senior Vice-President Ursine Patisserie Evaluation and Disposal” (instead of a “cake scoffing bear”)

I note with dismay that some stupid Congresswoman has run her mouth off about the current trial of George Floyd’s killer, to the point where the Judge was moved to say that her spouting off risked a mistrial being declared. 

Mike (The Stationmaster) reported on a London hotelier bemoaning that no Brits are staying in his £350 to £5000/night hotel. Mike neglected to say which hotel this was, but I suspect that it is one of those London Hotels that are über-luxurious and are stayed in by sports stars, movie stars, oligarchs and the like. And when someone pays £350/night or £5000/night for a suite they expect a level of service most of us can only dream of (and that takes staff - who have to be paid). For Mrs iD and I to even contemplate that sort of nightly expenditure (£350/night) then it really has to be amazing.

One thing I have concluded, from various posts on ERs (and from personal experience) is that although the UK has amongst the highest property price in Europe, if not the world, UK salaries are - quite frankly - abysmal. I once was contemplating applying for a senior position in the first European affiliate to be opened by this Japanese company. I decided not to apply as the salary would have been half what I was earning at the time and with the added drawback of very high accommodation costs and higher taxes overall (actually, it might have been more-cost effective to have taken a hotel room on a long term basis than to have rented a flat). And I would have been one of the better paid employees.....

And speaking of work - time to get the rear-in-gear and earn some Whisky tokens.

iD

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Ingenuity is just the stupid name they have given to the helicopter, so they are really just saying,  "helicopters name" project manager..

Criminal Behaviour in Norwich.. never.. Except the stabbing a  couple of days ago.. one of the lowest crime rates in the UK...

What's today's head lines?... A rave..., a house built in a modern barn, a drunk driver, affordable homes to be opened, a concert....

Meanwhile the future deputy head of lab, has obviously got permission from his SWMBO, after their visit to Norfolk over the weekend, as he has accepted the job.. He'll probably be arriving in June.. Just 9 months from the current head of labs retirement.. So he has a lot of learning to do in a short time...

Orange shed today, tiles maybe, if they have what I'm looking for, Several sheets of OSB..

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone  ...snip... but filled enough so that I can lift and carry them, they are actually just over half filled. If I put anymore I need them I’d never shift them at all.

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian

Bags are cheap, your back is not.

• Like 2
  • Agree 17