The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a very interesting Zoom talk on Bulleid pacifics by Nick Thompson of Southern Locomotives Ltd. He also built a Meccano model of the Bulleid valve gear.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

these should enable Bear to say "Alexa - Lights On"

Oh I do look forward to that!   

I'll have to give you a call on speaker phone or laptop then I can have a go at annoying  Alexa  and turn your lights on and off really quickly :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a very interesting Zoom talk on Bulleid pacifics by Nick Thompson of Southern Locomotives Ltd. He also built a Meccano model of the Bulleid valve gear.

Fantastic!  

Meccano is such a brilliant thing (I refuse to use the word toy, it's much more than that) and that looks like proper old stuff!   I know this as I still have mine in the loft which was actually originally father's in the 30's.  Most recently used to build a track to take stero image pairs of photographs for my sons image processing computing Uni project.    Personally I think failing to provide your child with a Meccano set is tantamount to abuse although Technical Lego is perhaps a more up-to-date and acceptable equivalent.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Oh I do look forward to that!   

I'll have to give you a call on speaker phone or laptop then I can have a go at annoying  Alexa  and turn your lights on and off really quickly :D

Was it Chris Evans (the Radio Presenter) that said "Alexa - bark like a dog" during one of his radio shows and got hundreds of dogs goin' off on one in their owners homes?  P*ssed a few off, apparently :laugh:

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Was it Chris Evans (the Radio Presenter) that said "Alexa - bark like a dog"

I don't know but well done if he did! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

That temporary runway cladding was just a giant DIY FOD generator ..........

That could have resulted in something spectacularly nasty, it would have been far better just to land on plain old grass.   Have you have ever done a FOD plod on an active airfield?

Yes. on a Navy airstrip that was about two miles long. A P-3 Orion had crashed and all of us were commandeered to do a FOD* walkdown after the runway had been cleared of the remains.

*Foreign Object Damage = Little nasties that can be sucked up into jet engines.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing word.
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

*Foreign Object Damage = Little nasties that can be sucked up into jet engines.

Or big nasties .......

I believe the acronym nowadays is actually "Foreign Object Debris" - the damage is what it can/does do but you don't actually pick the damage off of the runway but the intent is the same.

A pair of leather gloves wrecked a couple of the re-born Vulcan's precious Olympus engines some years ago,  a bit of that matting could have really spoiled the day for the Orion's crew at a most critical point in the flight!

Edited by PupCam
Clarified definition
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4

20 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...with The Hollies 20 Golden Greats as a soundtrack. Side 2 finished just as I did the last garment. However there is a legacy, Jennifer Eccles as an ear worm...

Not having heard that song for a long time (but dimly remembering it), I did a search for “Jennifer Eccles“ on Google. One of the many things that turned up, was a young lady, most pneumatically endowed, who spent much of the 70s posing for the modern equivalent of “the VERY saucy postcard“. I would warn Mr P Bear that if he goes looking for Miss Eccles’ snapshots he might have to have a serious lie down afterwards

14 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Apparently, according to her, there is always room for some sticky toffee pudding. This is said as if it is some English classic remembered wistfully from 1930s dinner tables along wit jam roll-poly and spotted dick. 

Except it is not. As far as I can make out, sticky toffee *anything* was unheard of in the UK until the 1970s, and only then at a restaurant in the Lake District until it escaped into the celebrity cookbooks, which are almost identical except for adding/subtracting a few grams here and there to make them look original. 

The origin of the pudding seems to be Canada, and the main ingredient is dates ...-

Now I didn’t know that!
As a well read Gastronaut I am familiar with much of the history of many cuisines, including British. But not having done any exhaustive research on the Great British Pudding (IMHO one of Britain’s two great contributions to world cuisine [the other being the proper pie: pastry top and pastry bottom]),  I didn’t know that the sticky toffee pudding was an alien interloper and a late one at that.

Steamed puddings are definitely balm for a saddened soul, both sweet and savoury. It used to be that Fray Bentos did a passable tinned Steak and Kidney pudding, but their current offerings are pretty grim. I don’t know what happened at Fray Bentos, but whatever their management have done to their steak and kidney pudding in a tin recipe they are not a patch on what they were when I ate them back in the 80s. Although, to be fair the steak and kidney puddings in a tin of the early 80s were not made to be microwaved.

If I recall correctly, you took the label off the tin, plopped it into simmering water and then carefully opened it about 20 or 30 minutes later. Result, at least for me, was very more-ish. The ones I recently bought are designed to be microwaved and maybe that is why they don’t seem to be a patch on the ones of the 80s (in fact I found them pretty ghastly).

12 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

...Housemartins are late to arrive. How do they, sat 000s miles away in Africa, know that the weather in France is still too cold for them?

BBC World Service?

9 hours ago, jonny777 said:

My daughter has just sent me this photo, which is the two books that granddaughter (aged 6) has brought home from school to read.

Is there any hope for the demise of sexual stereotyping, if infant school are starting them this way?

I wonder if your granddaughter would be old enough for the series of books Terry Pratchett wrote about the witch in training Tiffany Aching (the first book of the series is “The Wee Free Men”), perhaps not as a reader but as a listener? Tiffany Aching is a great character (for both genders and for all ages) and if you and/or your daughter are even remotely theatrically inclined, reading the books aloud gives great scope to practice sound effects and accents (especially if you can do a passable Billy Connolly imitation)

6 hours ago, polybear said:

....On the subject of Ovens, Bear has spent far too many hours today (and not for the first time) researching the bl00dy things on the 'net, trying to decide which to go for.  Talk about a minefield...

Take it from a serious amateur cook: what you need is an oven that turns on, heats up rapidly, has no hot spots or cold spots in the oven itself (in other words the temperature is constantly the same no matter where you place a pan or baking tray in the oven) and cools down rapidly once turned off. All the shops trying to flog you an oven will steer you away from those simple ovens that are purely functional (as described above) and towards ovens with all kinds of technological wizardry. Such high-tech ovens cost an awful lot more and, of course, make the salesman a lot more in commission. The other point, is that a good 90% of this extra technological wizardry is of limited or no use if you are doing serious baking and roasting. As I have said before, whenever you look at domestic kitchen equipment with all kinds of bells and whistles, just ask yourself are these extras to be found on the professional equivalent. If the answer is no, then you don’t need these bells and whistles. There is also one other consideration, my dear P Bear, and that is by buying a functional “low-tech“ oven cost and maintenance are going to be much, much lower thus freeing up tokens for more LDC.

Well, thank goodness it is Friday, it’s been a pretty abysmal week and I’m looking forward to tomorrow and my adventures in Eclair making. As the eclairs will be filled with a coffee cream (a known P Bear repellent) I will not have to activate all the anti-bear traps I have set up around the Alpine Redoubt(tm)

Have a great POETS day.

iD

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As I have said before, whenever you look at domestic kitchen equipment with all kinds of bells and whistles, just ask yourself are these extras to be found on the professional equivalent. If the answer is no, then you don’t need these bells and whistles. There is also one other consideration, my dear P Bear, and that is by buying a functional “low-tech“ oven cost and maintenance are going to be much, much lower thus freeing up tokens for more LDC.

iD is indeed very wise - the ovens Bear are considering will see off the best part of two hundred LDC's, and that's a lot of yummy lost.

Two have been short-listed - a Bosch jobbie and a Miele (both are Which? Best Buys and come out very well in the tests) - a Samsung may be added to the shortlist, though Which? reports that 27% of their members reported a fault within 5 years - and that's enough to worry this Bear. Bosch is 7%, whilst Miele tops the table at 6%.  It would've been nice if Miele had a bit more confidence in their products though - they only give a 2 year warranty (and BOY, are they expensive to fix.....) whilst both Bosch and Samsung give 5 years on the models Bear is considering.

Another plus point for the Miele is that with the various offers and promotions available, Bear can save over 30 LDC's......

See how confusing this bl00dy minefield is?

59 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As the eclairs will be filled with a coffee cream (a known P Bear repellent) I will not have to activate all the anti-bear traps I have set up around the Alpine Redoubt(tm)

Hmmm, iD has a nasty streak amongst that wise-ness....:nono:

Coffee and cream?  Now that's just plain spiteful. :angry:

17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Darn chilly out there, it's a cold, crunchy, white out, the coldest of the recent series of visits by Mr frosty, Ben enjoyed it.

I visited the Alleyway because SWMBO reports the door is sticking. It appears to have dropped by 1/4 inch.. This means I'll have to rehang it...

Stangely enough, Bear was considering the kitchen door to the lounge yesterday - a device I've not had for 8 months now.  Even before the refurb started, the kitchen door was very rarely ever used or closed - it was just "there".  It was only ever called into action when the toast was burnt etc.  in a vain but hopeless attempt at minimising the spread of the smell.  Some hope.  So there is a very fair chance that Bear has saved himself the job of fitting a new door, as for 99% of the time it would be pretty pointless.  We'll see.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Firstly thoughts for Sir Topham Hats little one.

Morning one and all, what another beautiful day, I'm getting quite used to this, much better than rain and cold.

A Parcel is due between 8-20 and 9 20 so I'd better shake a tail feather and get into the Bathroom.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 17