The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Did the trailer collapse or did the crane drop the load on it causing the collapse?  The article seems to change half way

Yes thats what i thought its not very good journalism. 

The lifting equipment supplied by the crane company such as chains strops and beams will all be regularly tested and certified by an authorized test facility under LOLER lifting of loads equipment regs. The crane driver/operator must have an upto date copy with them

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a t-storm just discharged itself and is now rumbling off into the distance. I hope a quiet evening beckons now. I found the owner’s manual for The Replacement is available for download earlier this week, so I’m familiarising myself with some of the new gizmos already. Fundamentally, the operating principles have remained largely the same, so it shouldn’t be too much of a learning curve.

Add to this a sip of uisge beatha, and I’m feeling quite comfortable tonight. Had a migraine in the early hours of Friday, but thankfully, I felt sufficiently recovered to go through with the dealership appointment today.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another eyelid inspection turned into a marathon, nearly three hours. Returning to the full English breakfast, my meal this evening will be an omelette. What about a full English omelette? Prepare the bacon, sausage and black pudding as you would for the pie adding the diced bread and mushrooms if you wish. Brown in the pan with a little oil then add the omelette mix poured evenly over the contents of the pan. The omelette mix is two large eggs with a dash of milk or cream (optional) with seasoning  to taste whipped until it is foaming and then poured quickly into the pan. Baked beans are strictly forbidden and tomatoes only if fresh thinly sliced as a garnish.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Evening and still confined to barracks. Tomorrow begins the preparatory potion for Monday's procedure!

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Perhaps you've forgotten that you may have revealed the method of neutralising Throat-ripper and Emasculator? All one needs is a pocket full of sausage and cheese. 

Rissoles!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hence no Naval Bombardment then

There will be no bombardment of my middle regions thank you very much.  Such an incursion might release an excess of blue fluff!!! :O  :jester:

• Funny 17

All this talk of rain is making me envious. It might rain here in the middle of next week, though each time it has been promised it seems to fizzle out. I don't remember the last time it properly rained - perhaps it was March or possibly even February.

For the time being we have to endure pitiless blue skies and high temperatures approaching 28°C day on day now. It's delightful, but with our driest April on record, May might be similar. The piper may extract payment in the form of wildfire when the real summer appears.

Last night, with a clear night I wandered outside to watch the international space station make a pass overhead. The moon (a bright waxing crescent) had just set and the ISS was easily the brightest object in the sky.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

My granddaughter had a dance recital today. Due to pandemic-related attendance rules at the school I was encouraged to watch via livestream on YouTube. I was impressed by how professionally the livestream was produced (and incidentally was thoroughly delighted to watch the five minute dance presentation, without having to watch the five minute presentations by 10 other schools, or the 45 minute drive there and 45 minute drive home again).

Meanwhile it has been entertaining to watch line calling at the tennis in Rome. All is being done per traditional red clay court procedure with lines-people and mark inspection examined by the umpire climbing down from their chair. At the same time, the Hawkeye system is enabled, but not used to adjudicate calls. The number of discrepancies was very large.

Marks in the clay that are clearly "out" are often "in" via Hawkeye. This gives me the impression that Hawkeye is very consistent with the Foxtenn 100% Real Bounce video system used in Madrid. What seems to happen is that a ball hitting the tape (which is relatively solid and 'nailed' into the clay) will then roll off and make an indent in the clay with an apparent separation between the impact crater in the powdery clay and the solid tape. A real conundrum for the ATP and WTA methinks, in terms of tradition versus technology.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In the last year or so golf broadcasts in the US have adopted the process of 'playing through' perhaps 50% of their advertising breaks where a two box format is used - audio and a larger box for the advertising and a smaller box + leader board for the ongoing golf.

The net result of this seems to be sloppy production (even with the 'best' broadcast networks) where way too much of the broadcast (without advertising) is spent following featured groups walking from the tee to their ball or debating their next shot with their caddies. This is happening even at the 'peak' of the broadcast where the final (often leading) group is making the turn.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In the last year or so golf broadcasts in the US have adopted the process of 'playing through' perhaps 50% of their advertising breaks where a two box format is used - audio and a larger box for the advertising and a smaller box + leader board for the ongoing golf.

The net result of this seems to be sloppy production (even with the 'best' broadcast networks) where way too much of the broadcast (without advertising) is spent following featured groups walking from the tee to their ball or debating their next shot with their caddies. This is happening even at the 'peak' of the broadcast where the leading group is making the turn.

I recall a golf tournament from the US being shown live on the BBC. About 20% action and the rest was from a camera focused on a pond on the course. I was annoyed because I was waiting for another program to come on that was delayed (and eventually re-scheduled) and afterwards it went straight to the following program, highlights of the golf tournament.:angry:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

About 20% action and the rest was from a camera focused on a pond on the course.

They're not usually that bad, though they can be prone to artsy shots of bird life, the occasional alligator and obligatory overhead shots when a dirigible/blimp is present. This insurance commercial is a good take on US golf broadcasting.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In CoViD news, the US CDC has declared that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks either outdoors or indoors....

Bear heard this on the radio this morning, and immediately thought "hang on - aren't those that are fully vaccinated still capable of being a carrier?"

In other news:
Bear spent some time test fitting and marking up a couple of 6ft tall decorative end panels to kitchen cabinets.  I would've liked to have spent the afternoon cutting and planing them to fit, but threats of rain stopped that.  Of course such threats proved unfounded.  Turdycurses.  The Met Office website tells me that rain will hold off until midday tomorrow, so any neighbours with thoughts of a quiet sunday lie-in are gonna be disappointed :laugh:

So the afternoon was a bit of a non-event - Bear was in a bit of a flaky groove and didn't really know what to do, which of course resulted in not a lot being done.  Oh well.....

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

and immediately thought "hang on - aren't those that are fully vaccinated still capable of being a carrier?"

Yes, but recent evidence seems to suggest that fully vaccinated people shed less virus if subsequently infected. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 11

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

"hang on - aren't those that are fully vaccinated still capable of being a carrier?"

Depending on the vaccine they may well be - up to 36% of people vaccinated with the J&J/Janssen vaccine could conceivably become infected.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2