The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Bearing in mind I was 7 at the time I remember a taxi driver killed during the miners strike by someone dropping a concrete block on to his cab whilst taking a miner to work in South Wales 

Hancock and Shankland - it was a significant case in criminal law, briefly, some offences require a prosecutor to prove the accused intended for X to happen as well as actually doing [the dirty deed] and some (like speeding offences) do not require any proof of intent. This case went to the House of Lords and had much consideration given to the intent of the two 'throwers' - e.g.:    https://www.lawteacher.net/cases/mens-rea-cases.php#:~:text=R v Hancock and Shankland [1986] 2 WLR,not to kill or cause grievous bodily harm.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Knowing the kids of today they would probably need to Google that!

Nothing at all wrong with using Google. Learning to distinguish the results of the search is the important skill. The “kids of today” learn about that in subjects like history instead of trotting out rote learned lists of monarchs and dates.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Knowing the kids of today they would probably need to Google that!

The kids today do not have access to the paper resources any more - fifty years ago we had encyclopaedias in the school library - now they probably don't have a library. Google is the only way to be able to gain that knowledge.

[EDIT] ... and which of us can afford to have a large encyclopedia in the house?

Edited by Coombe Barton
Add another political view
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all,

What a change in the weather! (Where are my beach shorts?) I think the Clerk of the Weather's made a boo-boo, this is not normal for a Bank Holiday in England... 

It's been a week of lurking, either haven't been able to post or thought it better not to in case I say something I regret. I was sorry to hear about @The Q's relatives' health problems. Some positive news for @Dave Hunt but it sounds like hard work. I'm always reluctant to offer advice, it can go wrong so easily, but would suggest no-one in that sort of situation lets the medical people bully them into actions or decisions they do not wish to take. Some of my current problems are due to NHS personnel not listening to me and from both my experience and that of some in my circle, very often the medical people deliberately put relatives under pressure before presenting them with decisions in the hope of a certain choice being made. Positive thoughts to other ERs with problems, I hope you can fix or at least improve them asap.  

The garden has suddenly burst into life. With sunshine, showers and now the BH heatwave, many plants are enjoying a growth spurt. Sadly, that includes the weeds... with two gardens to look after I am now on first name terms with the blokes at the local tip and am being invited to apply for my own dedicated parking space. Cheque payable to Chris Arthur Sam Harris. I wish he'd buy some of the STR furniture and books I have. Spent the morning sorting out some of this, it's coming in faster than it's going out. The cat's sulking, I have had to unhook it's swing. 

We had an earthquake a few years ago, I was doing something we must not mention and there was a rumble and the desk shook a bit. Thought it was a big (and lost) lorry going past the end of the road but when I saw the news later, I realised I had a new excuse for iffy paintwork...  

• Like 12
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Aft'noon,

Completely random quote (which I never used) in the editor, makes you wonder who's watching what/who?

Anyway, planned doings done. Time for a shower then, as it's brightened up somewhat, pub beer garden beckons. Might not check back later as a consequence :)

• Like 12
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Having mentioned the lack of pollinating insects this morning they turned up for the afternoon shift. At least two different varieties of bee and a couple of butterflies and more arriving by the minute. Cold dinner again tonight, quiche and salad, just can't be @r$d to even switch the microwave on. Kettle is on for tea so it's be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A friend of Bear's reported that she'd put a frozen lemon meringue in the oven for half an hour, but when it came out it didn't look right.  Bear asks "what did the cooking instructions on the packet say?".  "There weren't any" came the reply.

There's a clue there....:banghead:Seems the birds liked it :cry:

She also discovered a leaking flexi tap connector in her bathroom today - fortunately it had only just started.  It prompted Bear to check if I have any flexi connectors in the upstairs loo; two discovered - cold tap and cistern.  Buggerritt - they'll probably be 20-ish years old too.  I've set a reminder to replace them just as soon as possible (they're above the kitchen ceiling...) - the cold tap can be swapped for rigid copper without too much hassle, but i suspect the cistern feed may well have to stay as flexi - we'll see.

I've just ordered three water leak alarms for the kitchen - under the dishwasher, the sink and adjacent to the washing machine.  I think I'll be adding two more for the upstairs loo.....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Quiet evening, I gather there's 22 blokes kicking an inflated bladder around somewhere. Just ordered some more diecast models from Hong Kong. At the moment the exchange rate is very good. Usually its about HK$9 = £1 but at the moment its HK$10:50 = £1. Thats a big chunk out of the VAT that will have to be paid.  

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Evening All,

Just listened to the radio commentary of the 22 blokes kicking an inflated bladder around.

Now feeling  a bit drain after a busy day ‘ entertaining’ various members of the family. Hopefully we’ll get a peaceful day tomorrow.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4