RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... the history that gets taught in schools (at least as I remember it) and generally understood by the public is a very sanitised and simplified version of the past.

Thus it is ever so - with a few exceptions, like Germany where (as I understand it) students are taught to confront some of their uglier history.

It is perpetually a matter of debate in the US where supporters of the imagined, great and glorious, exceptional past want precisely this. It quickly gets very political. The economics of school text book publishing mean that school boards in a very populous state can effectively dictate curriculum even beyond their state since the publishers are often unwilling to print multiple versions.

In my perspective an advantage of growing up Australian, is that there is very little polishing that can be done to the raw facts of a penal colony as the 'origin story', though inevitably there is some buffing around the edges.

One of the other challenges is that a large number of teenagers do not appreciate the relevance of history and are reluctant to absorb instruction - particularly when they perceive it as propaganda.

• Like 14

I was pleased to see the christening of LCS-30, USS Canberra (second of the name) and apparently the only US ship named after a foreign capital. (DDG-81 is named USS Winston S. Churchill, but technically Churchill had an honourary US Citizenship.)

It is an interesting tribute to Australia's steadfast support of US adventuring around the world in anticipation that should Australia again need help, the US will be there, much like they were in 1942 even if the relationship was at times rocky.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

A touch of mission creep today, with a morning's job turning into most of the day. However, the 'garage'* is now a lot tidier, cleaner and most importantly, much better organised. Spending the day in physical activity instead of sitting behind a computer screen has felt much healthier. Sympathies with anyone who might have overdone the domestic duties and is suffering a bit. Or indeed feeling under the weather for whatever reason. 

I see some ERs have been rather busy, both with ongoing long-term projects and one-offs. Thanks to @The Q for posting the videos. I suppose it was inevitable Ben would get too closely acquainted with wet paint. I've known a few dogs do that! @BSW01's basement work is certainly impressive, creating a real railway room/home for the model. 

Some lobelia were planted in two pots and a little thinning of the carrots. They are doing nicely. We could do with someone next door with a rabbit though for such thinnings. 

A sledge was cleaned up. The neighbours probably thought I'd seen a very pessimistic or long range weather forecast but it's one of the items to be offered for sale, so it seemed prudent to brush the cobwebs off. 

Now it's time to stare out of the window for a few minutes and see if I can see the blackbird. He's been singing for the last ten minutes or so. Perhaps he's protesting at the sparrows invading 'his' garden - I put a dustbath out for them earlier and a (very disorderly) queue seems to be forming...

* We've never put a car in it. Probably like many people, we use the building as a garden and tool store, utility room and workshop. I also use it as a potting shed and store for some of the larger and cheaper items we must not speak of. That's quite a mouthful and ERs probably wouldn't recognise the term which the family and I use for it, so 'garage' it is. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Thus it is ever so - with a few exceptions, like Germany where (as I understand it) students are taught to confront some of their uglier history.

I recall seeing reports that few young people in Japan have any idea of the atrocities that were carried out by the Japanese Military during WW2 - it's simply been "hidden"

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It seems as if its going to be a sticky night, the humidity appears to be on the rise. Not helped by the hay fever though that's not as bad as it has been I'm still a bit sniffy. Now to tackle Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

I recall seeing reports that few young people in Japan have any idea of the atrocities that were carried out by the Japanese Military during WW2 - it's simply been "hidden"

The national trait of response to shame is likely the reason for that - far eastern cultures are very different to those in Europe. I used to visit Japan regularly, and found them a friendly people.  It is a shame that the lessons of the past aren't taught though.

• Like 4
  • Agree 13

I have a few points to pick up on 

Firstly thanks Q for sharing the sailing video it does look strange seeing the sails moving through the countryside.

Imperial leather soap i could never understand why they put that label on it made the soap not wear down under it making it awkward to use.

Japan i remember controversy over a shrine that had contained the remains of several grade A war criminals and visits by politicians.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Imperial leather soap i could never understand why they put that label on it made the soap not wear down under it making it awkward to use.

Is it not that when the surrounding soap does wear down you can place it on the washbasin so that it remains dry and doesn't degrade into a sticky mess 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 10

13 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I agree, Sanity is not the word that I would normally associate with ER's.

Jamie

I concur.
Having met, over the years, many ERs - especially at the various “Brains Trust” meet ups - it is my informed opinion (as a Clinical Psychologist [one of my two professional degrees]) that the ERs encountered exhibited behavioural anomalies ranging from mild disinhibition to full blown anankastia.

In other words ERs range from “weird” to “two stops beyond Barking” (or “Bat Sh1t Crazy” for our American friends) :jester:

Me? I’m completely normal (but I am taking tablets for it)

10 hours ago, polybear said:

...it does annoy me (to the point of no longer buying it) that a four-pack of Imperial Leather soap bars contains (unsurprisingly) four bars of soap, each individually wrapped and inside an outer packaging.  Added to which each bar has a little label on it.  That's plenty of unnecessary dross all going into landfill...

Hmm, I sort of agree. Individual packaging can be taken to absurd degrees, yet on the other hand modern packaging materials and technology have considerably affected product longevity (it stays fresh/usable longer) whilst almost completely eliminating adulteration. 
It wasn’t that long ago (certainly within living memory) that products were weighed out for sale in front of the customer - allowing plenty of scope for adulterating an expensive product to make it go further and make the shopkeeper more profit. In one of my many books on the history of food there are descriptions of how the unscrupulous would - for example - disguise rancid meat or “stretch” sugar (I’m certain there are also ways to make elderly LDC fresh and enticing....)

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One of the other challenges is that a large number of teenagers do not appreciate the relevance of history and are reluctant to absorb instruction - particularly when they perceive it as propaganda.

‘Twas ever thus. Throughout history teenagers have been moody, stroppy, selectively deaf, immune to logic and reason and generally a complete pain in the a**s. The difference between then and now, I fear, is that back then the stroppy teen would have to go out into the real world and thus get some sense knocked into them (sometimes literally). Nowadays, too many are cosseted and live in on-line, self-reinforcing “bubbles” and thus are not exposed to the real world until, perhaps, too late...

8 hours ago, polybear said:

As have reports of the Allies committing war crimes. In creating the myth of the “good war” much questionable Allied military strategy has been airbrushed over or even out of history and Allied war crimes deleted from the records (and, yes the allies did commit them - especially the Canadians and Americans in Europe and the Americans in the Pacific - although, thankfully, not official policy unlike with some of the other combatants). WWII was a particularly brutal war, not only because it was warfare on a huge industrial scale, but because it was an ideological war. And the ideologies of Nazism, Communism and Bushido (which I think - correct me if I’m wrong - was the Japanese ideology) were such that you not only had to defeat the “enemies of the state” but eliminate and totally eradicate them as well - using any and all means at the state’s disposal.

Examined closely, WWII was not quite the “good guys vs the bad guys” as popularly understood...

• Like 12
  • Agree 4