The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, a rather disappointing 15c, strong wind and patchy sun here.  The foreguess isn't great for most of the island, except our bit on the northern plain where sunshine is predicted.  I was going to go to Laxey for lunch, maybe not now as mist and cloud is to be their lot.

EV's will be an issue here, if they need anything like 80 amps.....not many domestic installations have that kind of excess current (over normal load) available.  Also as new gas boilers etc are being banned, then heating will also need electricity in large lumps of current.  I see massive increases in electricity prices, it's already much more expensive here than in the UK.  Mostly gas turbine and combined cycle generation here (with a diesel plant in Peel), with a bit of 2.5 twin-and-earth ;) connected to the UK for when we need a bit extra, but it is more usually the other way, we send excess to the UK.  EV range isn't a problem for us on a rock 32 miles by 12, but access to charging facility in the small villages with no parking by houses and densely populated town centre of Douglas will be.

We'll buy a new diesel when Debs retires, and that'll see us out.  Both our current cars are diesel, we like the torque and economy, my last car (Ford B-Max) was the first petrol I had had for years, in this very hilly island it was.....crepe. Gutless thing, all revs and fluster, no oomph unless you revved the taters off it.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit overcast this morning, but its still warm, not less than 14 degrees outside. Not that I will be going out much today with the pollen levels sky high. If I want to watch the partial solar eclipse I'll watch it on the net, a lot safer as well. Bin day today, just as well they're usually early as in this heat the bags will start to pong.

• Like 16

The walk has been completed, as has breakfast, and its a sort  of damp claggy morning, not wet, not hot, very humid and misty, merkey, sort of start to the day.

I will move on, and it it gets warmer the Lawn may be threatened with a cut later, dependant on the mood at the time, TBO it could last another couple of days, and we have some more nice weather approaching.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a dull and grey day here in the northwest of England, cooler than last week, only 17C at the moment and there is a slight chance of rain at some point today. The plans for today are to continue with the framing of the doorway, I’m hoping to finish that today. There has been a suggestion of a lazy afternoon, but as nice as that sounds, I somehow don’t see that happening. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

Greetings all from Sidcup where clouds are dominating the view. They must have known there was a vague chance of seeing the annular eclipse at 11.13 in London. I suspect no chance!

I note that BMW's i4, which is the EV equivalent of our current car, starts at £90k. That's pretty much 3 x the petrol version. Its range is sufficient for us to be able to get to the in laws without stopping to recharge. But we would be running it fine.

Poser for the day; why is the BBC's new correspondent, reporting on the G7 conference near St Ives, basing himself in Plymouth?

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

3 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Poser for the day; why is the BBC's new correspondent, reporting on the G7 conference near St Ives, basing himself in Plymouth?

• BBC Studio in Plymouth
  • Can't get accommodation in Cornwall for him and crew
  • 6,000 police controlling access
  • COVID restriction
  • Like 11
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Perhaps it is outside a security cordon or it was the nearest place they could afford?

Just seen John’s reply!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. I forgot all about the eclipse of the sun today, I did notice it get a bit dull a short time ago now its hazy sunshine. Pollen is well up so I'm staying indoors, even there I get the blocked up nose and itchy eyes. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

Afternoon All,

Had bloods taken, got a scone from the cafe and collected essential supplies from Tesco including a certain magazine. Half way through cutting the grass but don’t want to cut it too short as looking at the weather forecast there’s little chance of rain for at least another week.

Sun not out here but still warm. Texted sil to ask how Syd was this morning, no reply. Hes been a bit off it recently, as well as yesterday’s episode he appears to be sneezing a lot and think he must have a touch of hay fever. To add to his woes he’s gone for stripping this morning.

Better get the mower going again,

later,

Robert

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

F@@kwits and C@ckwombles in abundance!

We (I) shall overcome.......

.......one day :D

Not me Andy, I don't live there anymore.:D.

I now terrorise Amp Sher.:scared:

Parts of Surrey, :P

and West Sussex  :spiteful:

:devil:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:
  • BBC Studio in Plymouth
  • Can't get accommodation in Cornwall for him and crew
  • 6,000 police controlling access
  • COVID restriction

Better Expenses?

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A busy evening ahead on Zoom. Firstly a committee meeting followed by a talk on the progress of the F5 locomotive. Hopefully the hay fever will have abated, its been really bad this afternoon. Must get on with an early dinner as I won't have time later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5