RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Hmm they've got rid of the tank bump starter and got a bloke in the Calvin Klein advert, still doesn't look happy and still won't persuade many to buy..

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

23 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, bright and breezy here and not too hot. All this talk of alternative to petrol and diesel, no mention of LPG, I always thought that was economical and less polluting than petrol?

Once upon a time LPG was a viable alternative. In parts of Canada it is very common since the price per litre was less than 1/5th of petrol. Before the advent of hybrid vehicles the vast majority of taxis were LPG. It never seemed to catch on anywhere else. However, LPG vehicles do have a lot of restrictions such as underground parking, etc. As LPG is an NGL it has to be processed from natural gas. I could give a full dissertation on the process and the financials around it but suffice to say, when the price of natural gas goes up, the production of NGLs goes down, and visa versa. In the end it is just another fossil fuel. 

I think one day you'll see bits of the Sahara covered in solar panels. The talk at the moment is it could theoretically power all of Europe from panel farms totalling the area of Luxembourg. Throw in the replacement cycles, recycling and component recovery, and you have a perpetual and sustainable energy solution and industry that will need just as many employees as current power plants. 

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Dave - we found that Age UK were able to arrange for a cleaner to visit each week and a gardener each fortnight - since FiL went into the home, we have retained the gardener service to keep the lawns mowed and may use Age UK for a 'deep clean' once the house is empty before the estate agents take their photos . . . . . . 

Thanks for that advice, I haven't been able to do anything much in the garden this year due to hay fever. The grass is getting very long. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PupCam said:

My best advice; Don't get ill in the UK .....

Our experience over the past year hasn’t been at all bad, so perhaps not all of the UK.  Rather a lot of the people who would have been doing routine things have been quite busy sticking Covid vaccines in peoples arms. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 7

On 09/06/2021 at 22:05, Erichill16 said:

. Hate bl00dy needles and I was at the sharpe end of one last Thursday as well.

Goodnight,

Robert

Just had a txt, got to have one of the tests repeated. Bu88er.

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Dave - we found that Age UK were able to arrange for a cleaner to visit each week and a gardener each fortnight - since FiL went into the home, we have retained the gardener service to keep the lawns mowed and may use Age UK for a 'deep clean' once the house is empty before the estate agents take their photos . . . . . . 

Thanks for that, Mike. Once Dad's house has been assessed by the OT people next week and I know a bit more detail of what they propose I'll look into it.

Dave

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Bike club later, I'm 'tour leader' so better get my thinking cap on for the days route.

The TT course - but the wrong way round?

In other news:

Bear working on cutting & fitting the plinths - more to do shortly.  I realised that whilst I've more than enough clips to secure the plinths to the cabinet legs they haven't sent me enough base plates needed to secure the clips to the plinths....:angry:  Message sent.....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

On 09/06/2021 at 17:57, Ozexpatriate said:

Plenty of excess ocean water. Use renewables (solar, wind etc) to power a desalinization/electrolysis plant. Making hydrogen doesn't need to be an "always on" operation since the objective is stored energy - so the "demand" limitations of renewables are not a problem.

It's an attractive option compared with all the rare earth metal mining and recycling complications of batteries everywhere.

Here’s an article comparing energy efficiency of electric vehicles compared with those powered by hydrogen fuel cells - overall, electric vehicles are more efficient since they require fewer energy conversions in the overall process.

https://theconversation.com/hydrogen-cars-wont-overtake-electric-vehicles-because-theyre-hampered-by-the-laws-of-science-139899

It doesn’t address the point about initial production of batteries.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention that the hay fever hasn't been as bad as I expected. There's not even the slightest breeze to carry the pollen in from elsewhere, that might have something to do with it.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Forgot to mention that the hay fever hasn't been as bad as I expected. There's not even the slightest breeze to carry the pollen in from elsewhere, that might have something to do with it.

How odd. There is a very pleasant breeze a few miles away here in Benfleet. It is very overcast again after being sunny earlier this afternoon. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bear's day of plinth cutting has been slower than hoped - just a couple of easy bits to do, but first I need to box in the pipework behind the washing machine.  In the words of buddy next door: "why?"  Well this Bear will know they look a bit scruffy on those rare occasions when the washer is pulled out - so boxed in they'll be.  It'll also make the area easier to clean - just wipe the dust off the box rather than fiddly pipework.  I saved lots of the shelves out of the old kitchen cupboards so some of those will be re-used for the job.  I've had a reply from the kitchen supplier (DIY Kitchens) regarding the missing bits for the plinth clips - they'll be posted to me on Monday.  That'll do.

Bozo moment of the day:  Bear has been so engrossed doing the plinths that I forgot to order the worktops :banghead:.  Oh well, not a great disaster on the grand scale of things - Monday will do.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2