The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

I find these Websites/Apps fascinating and amazingly accurate when you are close enough to witness the results!

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;y=50.0077;x=1.7578;z=5;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

I think that the reason there is only a prob 40 of certain weather on aerodrome forecasts is that they are not allowed to have any other option. If it is less than 40% it is counted as not worth adding to the length of the message; and if it is over 40% then it has to be included in the main part of the forecast anyway. However, rules may have changed since my day. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The evening is most pleasant, bodes well for the bike club tomorrow.  We have a new neighbour, who is joining us for the first time, he has Italian bikes, so it'll probably break down.

He'll definitely have to get home before it gets dark ....

A couple of years back at a bike meet I heard a noise I hadn't heard for 40 years.   It was a mid-70s Benelli 250 2 stroke.   A very distinctive sound that I knew well as a mate had one back in the day.      The lady riding it had to leave before it got dark :lol:  

What can't be seen on the photograph is the missing tail pipe on the near-side exhaust.     Apparently it parted company with the bike at speed somewhere on the A1M on the way up:rofl_mini:

IMG_4567.JPG.e7627ff607badaa1a2ad7cc5255e596e.JPG

1 hour ago, polybear said:

So Puppers has a "thing" for Matron Hattie does he?  Ok......

Not Matron Hattie but ....

21 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

However, when Gunther von Hagens presented a four-part TV series on the internals of the Human Body, I watched with interest! (Albeit a little like a licensed, modern-day 'Burke and Hare' style of provision)

A couple of years back Puppers & Mrs Puppers (who is VERY squeamish) visited the now permanent Body Worlds exhibition in London.    Absolutely fascinating.   Surprisingly it only took about 2 minutes to get over the "Oh, that was once a real walking, talking human" voice in the head as each exhibit passed.    As I say, an amazing and deeply fascinating experience - you should go!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Lord what a lot of girlies :laugh: :swoon:

That made me laugh...

I never really had/have trouble with giving blood either for the routine (now required due to age apparently!) tests or donating.

It was AFTER that was the problem. For reasons unclear to anyone in attendance, numerous occasions, it takes me an age to recover enough to be stable on my feet.

Several doses or orange juke and other goodies plus the odd ogle at a pretty nurse :yahoo:usually solved it, but often 20+ minutes resting there.

Finally it was recommended that "as good as it was to give blood donations, maybe it's better to abstain". Oh well, I tried for a while :O

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't mind needles and having blood taken but I've had several instances of nurses being unable to get into a vein successfully and spending ages grubbing about inside my arm.

Me too. Excepting the last one, all the blood tests I've had have have required several attempts, usually in different places and into double figures. I have perfected my hostile glower and "I am not a pincushion" comment. These were all doctors and nurses but a casual observer could be forgiven for thinking they were a hospital porter impersonating medical staff for a bet or a hidden camera programme. Last time, one false 'stab' and second time lucky. I almost fainted. In surprise. 

No problem about seeing blood (so long as it's not mine and gushing out, then I will panic). I don't know what our medical members have observed but I have heard a theory which runs along the lines of the more macho and/or larger members of the population generally tend to be sensitive to the sight of blood, whereas the smaller, quieter members of society are less squeamish. 

And on that potentially controversial note, I'll bid you good night. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Puppers, a pal in my Kollege days had one of those Welsh bikes - Benelli - same as that one but red.  It went very well, but the crank only lasted 10k miles.  Now, the Morini 3 1/2 behind it....yum.  Always wanted one, couldn't afford one.  Now I can afford one, I can't fold myself on to one to ride it.  Pah!

As for the XL, something not right in the rebuild today, can't get the cam sprocket on as the chain is too tight - suspect one tensioner blade isn't seated correctly - head off AGAIN then.  #sigh#  At least I didn't build the rest of the head/cambox up.  This bl**dy bike has fought me for 30 years....there's always, but always something up with it.   I didn't build it but bought it of someone else who had rebuilt it, there's a lesson there.  Never had another bike like it (we've had about 40), total Christine job.

• Friendly/supportive 19

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

….I would require a general anaesthetic for anything 'intrusive'….

Depending on what needs to be done you may well be out of luck on that. Over the past years there has been a move away from general anaesthesia to local anaesthesia for all but the most extensive operations.  And even some abdominal and cranial operations are now done with local anaesthesia. Of course, this “local” anaesthesia is not what most people think of when they hear those words. It generally involves nerve blocks, epidurals and the like as well as intravenous administration of sedatives and serious analgesics. At my last knee surgery, also done under “local“ anaesthesia I received both fentanyl and propofol intravenously and although I was technically awake, in reality I was off communing with the fairies! When I asked the anaesthesiologist what he was  administering to me intravenously and he replied I said “Ooh, I like those! Can I have some to take home?“ and made him laugh.

I think there are two factors that have allowed for an increased use of “local“ anaesthesia: the advances in surgical and anaesthetic technology (such as the so-called “keyhole“ surgery)  and the fact that that patients who do not receive a general anaesthetic tend to recover faster and have less complications afterwards.

18 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I have heard a theory which runs along the lines of the more macho and/or larger members of the population generally tend to be sensitive to the sight of blood, whereas the smaller, quieter members of society are less squeamish. 

So have I, but I can’t really say one way or another if that is a truism. One thing that I can say for certain is pain (and sometimes the accompanying fear) really makes people react in the very strange ways.

Isn’t medicine fascinating?

Good night all!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a very interesting Zoom meeting about the Gravesend West branch. Apart from the railway interest my dads family came from Gravesend and in fact my dad was born very close to the branch just over 101 years ago. I must admit to having a phobia about needles being stuck into me until covid came along and I decided to bite the bullet. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was worrying over nothing, the first jab I felt but it wasn't that painful and the second I felt nothing more than a pin prick.

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Depending on what needs to be done you may well be out of luck on that. Over the past years there has been a move away from general anaesthesia to local anaesthesia for all but the most extensive operations.  And even some abdominal and cranial operations are now done with local anaesthesia. Of course, this “local” anaesthesia is not what most people think of when they hear those words. It generally involves nerve blocks, epidurals and the like as well as intravenous administration of sedatives and serious analgesics. At my last knee surgery, also done under “local“ anaesthesia I received both fentanyl and propofol intravenously and although I was technically awake, in reality I was off communing with the fairies! When I asked the anaesthesiologist what he was  administering to me intravenously and he replied I said “Ooh, I like those! Can I have some to take home?“ and made him laugh.

I think there are two factors that have allowed for an increased use of “local“ anaesthesia: the advances in surgical and anaesthetic technology (such as the so-called “keyhole“ surgery)  and the fact that that patients who do not receive a general anaesthetic tend to recover faster and have less complications afterwards.

So have I, but I can’t really say one way or another if that is a truism. One thing that I can say for certain is pain (and sometimes the accompanying fear) really makes people react in the very strange ways.

Isn’t medicine fascinating?

Good night all!

My triple hernia (by keyhole) and my first and third endoscopies were under general anaesthesia.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I don't know what our medical members have observed but I have heard a theory which runs along the lines of the more macho and/or larger members of the population generally tend to be sensitive to the sight of blood, whereas the smaller, quieter members of society are less squeamish. 

And on that potentially controversial note, I'll bid you good night. 

I suppose that as a 6ft 3in ex-rugby player and fast jet pilot who has no problem with the sight of blood, even his own, and has watched with interest operations he was undergoing on a monitor whilst on 'local' anaesthetic, that I must be unusual then? Unless the theory is, shall we say, a load of cobblers?

Dave

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Only in the USA - what with so much gun crime n' all - they can't get a Firing Squad together:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57496839

In other news:

Bear awaits the arrival of the Scaffolding Team today - I suspect they might just get a bit damp if the Met Office predictions are correct....

Whilst a certain South American company comes in for a lot of flak, Bear ordered a Washing Machine Isolation Valve at 1230 yesterday - and it was delivered same day (at 2030 to be precise).  Impressed.  It means that a certain Bear will be doing some plumbing this morning.

• Like 17