The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

….As an, effectively, orphaned hermit, I would love the companionship of a dog or cat. However, I recognise that I would not be able to give them a suitable and satisfactory lifestyle. ….

Definitely not a dog, but a cat is very much a distinct possibility. A good friend of mine, from work, had two cats and she also did a fair amount of international travel for her job. During her absences, friendly neighbours made sure that the cats were fed and watered (both were ex-lab cats and both certainly were “indoor“ cats). The cats seemed to regard her absences with a sort of amused, indulgent, tolerant equanimity as they were aware that upon her return they would get spoilt rotten.

Perhaps talking to a cat rescue charity might be a useful first step? You can tell them about your lifestyle and they could probably match you to a suitable feline.

Of course, taking on a cat is a big responsibility  and requires a number of emotional and personal adjustments. The first (and the biggest) of these is realising that – in the eyes of the cat – you are a nothing, worthless, a mere slave to every feline whim, your whole existence only being for the adoration and glorification of your cat!

You spend a fortune on cat food, cat toys and visits to the vet and probably within microseconds of getting her (for some reason, cats always seem to be referred to as “her”), you’ll realise how much better your life is.

4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

..I'm not sure how they get that past the trades description people, as it appears to have no lemon in it…

Certainly for an awful lot of factory produced/processed food - especially at the very cheap end of the market - there is an awful lot of substitution of synthetics for “the real deal“ . Cinnamon and saffron are two spices that come immediately to mind. Of course there are local bakers, artisanal producers and top-of-the-line products that do use “real“ ingredients.  But generally substitutions, from what I can gather through much reading, are due to one of three reasons: cost [i.e. saving money] making production easier and shelf life. You are not going to make a lot of money as a company (or last very long) if you make LDC with all natural ingredients and the supermarkets have to throw them out within a few days of them are being baked due to the natural ingredients spoiling (for example, margarines and other processed oils are less likely to go rancid than butter once a product is made with them). 

Having said that, sometimes home-made lasts longer than commercially  produced items full of preservatives, emulsifies, stabilisers and so on. My home-made “luxury” white bread. (made to a Michel Roux Jr recipe) lastsfor ever. In comparison with shop bought white bread, after a week my home-made white bread is still edible (albeit it is hard enough to be used as an offensive weapon – so good for bread-and-butter pudding), whilst the store bought white bread is already going mouldy

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Hmm, I'd have to disagree with your specific example here ....

Hmmm! It sounds that you certainly DO need to attend my Brains Trust special seminar on “ The Differential Diagnosis and Management of SpC and Its’ Variants“  there will be a number of erudite and a learnéd speakers including Captain Cynical, The Stationmaster, JohnDMJ and many, many, other internationally recognised experts from ER

59 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

In contrast the Aussie Kelpie is apparently  not  recognised by the kennel mob and is subsequently awesome and worth a heap to those who use them for what they were meant for when they aren't riding around in the back of utes.

And wonderful, healthy and well balanced dogs they are. Let’s hope the kennel club never get their perverted little hands on the breed. I think Border Collies are still pretty much as originally bred, primarily because they are bred to be working dogs  where ability, health and character are the paramount characteristics to be bred for.

I also read somewhere, that Jack Russell Terriers were not - until recently - recognised by the kennel club, again because Jack Russell terrier breeders bred for health, ability, stamina and character. Let’s hope that the entitled SpC vermin that run much of the kennel club and set the standards aren’t able to do to the Jack Russell what they did to the British bulldog or to the Alsatian (German Shepherd).

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

I had another chat with my nephew today. After being rejected by most dog rescue places as they are not both at home all the day (they due to working pattens are not away for as long as most people) they were wondering about a pup from breeds not prone to separation anxiety. Anyway today they got a call from one of the rescue places who have a dog who might suit them. It doesn’t sound as if it would be eligible for kennel club membership as it arrived from Romania a year ago, seems to be some sort of Labrador/ greyhound cross and has been handed back as the family who have it (I didn’t find out if it was male or female) won’t be able to work from home any more and both will be out all day. Josh had never had a dog or any pet as Aditi ‘s sister is totally anti pet. Until Bianca went to Italy from Romania as a teenager they had farm dogs. She just likes dogs and volunteers to walk neighbours dogs for them. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Two firsts completed today.

1  I attended a cricket match at Headingley..Rooooooot played and Yorkshire  won

2  I had a trip on a servicecbus (my last trip on a bus before that was in March 2020 in Sydney.

It feels good.

Numbers are going nuts around here BUT

1  Students are getting tests before going home after end of year parties

2 School test regimes are a bit better than they were

I note that we are seeing good vaccination figures here.. some countries are heading for major problems due to the lack of vaccinations...

Baz

• Like 18

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

I don't disagree.  I do know that the likelihood of the plug being pulled is ever present.  When Ffestiniog Travel cancelled Switzerland last year I sought to find an acceptable substitute for Christmas dinner in Interlaken by booking one in a posh hotel in Bedford.  I had not foreseen that the trainee cretins who rule us would close all the hotels.  Neither, in fairness, had the hotels.  It is not just overseas travel that is vulnerable.  A finescale m*d*l r**lw*y show has just been sabotaged by onerous conditions imposed by the owners of the venue and there is more to the recent "postponement" of Bristol Pride than meets the eye.

Chris

IIRC, my substitute for a meal on 25th December last comprised poached egg with bacon on toast!

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Definitely not a dog, but a cat is very much a distinct possibility. A good friend of mine, from work, had two cats and she also did a fair amount of international travel for her job. During her absences, friendly neighbours made sure that the cats were fed and watered (both were ex-lab cats and both certainly were “indoor“ cats). The cats seemed to regard her absences with a sort of amused, indulgent, tolerant equanimity as they were aware that upon her return they would get spoilt rotten.

Perhaps talking to a cat rescue charity might be a useful first step? You can tell them about your lifestyle and they could probably match you to a suitable feline.

Of course, taking on a cat is a big responsibility  and requires a number of emotional and personal adjustments. The first (and the biggest) of these is realising that – in the eyes of the cat – you are a nothing, worthless, a mere slave to every feline whim, your whole existence only being for the adoration and glorification of your cat!

You spend a fortune on cat food, cat toys and visits to the vet and probably within microseconds of getting her (for some reason, cats always seem to be referred to as “her”), you’ll realise how much better your life is.

Certainly for an awful lot of factory produced/processed food - especially at the very cheap end of the market - there is an awful lot of substitution of synthetics for “the real deal“ . Cinnamon and saffron are two spices that come immediately to mind. Of course there are local bakers, artisanal producers and top-of-the-line products that do use “real“ ingredients.  But generally substitutions, from what I can gather through much reading, are due to one of three reasons: cost [i.e. saving money] making production easier and shelf life. You are not going to make a lot of money as a company (or last very long) if you make LDC with all natural ingredients and the supermarkets have to throw them out within a few days of them are being baked due to the natural ingredients spoiling (for example, margarines and other processed oils are less likely to go rancid than butter once a product is made with them). 

Having said that, sometimes home-made lasts longer than commercially  produced items full of preservatives, emulsifies, stabilisers and so on. My home-made “luxury” white bread. (made to a Michel Roux Jr recipe) lastsfor ever. In comparison with shop bought white bread, after a week my home-made white bread is still edible (albeit it is hard enough to be used as an offensive weapon – so good for bread-and-butter pudding), whilst the store bought white bread is already going mouldy

Hmmm! It sounds that you certainly DO need to attend my Brains Trust special seminar on “ The Differential Diagnosis and Management of SpC and Its’ Variants“  there will be a number of erudite and a learnéd speakers including Captain Cynical, The Stationmaster, JohnDMJ and many, many, other internationally recognised experts from ER

And wonderful, healthy and well balanced dogs they are. Let’s hope the kennel club never get their perverted little hands on the breed. I think Border Collies are still pretty much as originally bred, primarily because they are bred to be working dogs  where ability, health and character are the paramount characteristics to be bred for.

I also read somewhere, that Jack Russell Terriers were not - until recently - recognised by the kennel club, again because Jack Russell terrier breeders bred for health, ability, stamina and character. Let’s hope that the entitled SpC vermin that run much of the kennel club and set the standards aren’t able to do to the Jack Russell what they did to the British bulldog or to the Alsatian (German Shepherd).

iD

I recall the adage that people have dogs whilst cats have people. I find it interesting that my neighbour's cat tolerates me as I approach my front door, however, if I see her in the back garden and she sees me, there is a black and white streak of disappearing cat!

• Like 16

Good evening all

Was hoping for an easy day but no pah.

Done a bit more tidying up found some shredding to do its a cross cut shredder and it seems to produce a volume of shreddings. Room was made in the skip to take 2 bags of shreddings seen as they can't go in our recycling bin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its been dull and grey today I thought about the G word but that was it. I just don't have the mojo to do anything. The TV is still going into scan but only when it gets a bit warm, but it worked perfectly this evening when it was a bit cooler.  Time for dinner, lets see whats in the fridge. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Have you driven through or around the new oval roundabout in Douglas yet? 

Its not open yet - it is the most stupid thing I have ever seen.  Road markings not in compliance to the highway code.  They did another thing like this last year, a crossing where a cycle lane crosses a road, marked it in pink and white celtic symbols - a cyclist took it as a zebra crossing and was killed as a car didn't stop - they didn't have to, it's not a crossing just a marking.....no offence committed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

On the Beach has just aired the following "Ad"

Ah, "On the beach" what a great track .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEq6aFJiBM

....... "takes me back to" driving to work along "the beach" at Amroth listening to Mr Rea circa 1990.   

But enough of this nostalgia!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7331774,-4.6534846,3a,75y,98.76h,89.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNMVY7jw4dXezsD2ATfoBYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was watching Antiques Roadshow when I decided to switch the light off. I switched the TV off instead :banghead: needless to say it went into scan mode when I switched it back on. Had to leave it for ten to fifteen minutes before it went back to normal and I'll have to check that nothing is overheating next time I switch on.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

needless to say it went into scan mode

Have you tried to Googling for such faults with your make and model of TV?  

If not, you might find out something of use.  

If you have, apologies for "Teaching grandmother to suck eggs"!   

Alan

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

So three bits of cornice are now carefully measured and cut to produce a U-shape, to go on top of the tall broom cupboard; the next issue was how to clamp a corner at 90 degrees for gluing

Do you not mount the individual pieces of the cornice onto the unit sides and then (if Bear hasn't done a 100% perfect job of getting the angles right in all planes, not that I'm doubting you ...) fill any very small gaps there maybe in the mitres?    

If you make it a one piece cornice "to be fitted to the unit" there's a much greater chance of it not sitting snugly along each individual length and will be a RPITA to conceal the joints.

Or has Puppers got the wrong end of the stick (or even the wrong stick)?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Bear would like a kitty kat - but the worry of traffic puts me off :sad_mini2:

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

IIRC, my substitute for a meal on 25th December last comprised poached egg with bacon on toast!

Bear's was a super duper home made pizza :D

26 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Do you not mount the individual pieces of the cornice onto the unit sides and then (if Bear hasn't done a 100% perfect job of getting the angles right in all planes, not that I'm doubting you ...) fill any very small gaps there maybe in the mitres?    

If you make it a one piece cornice "to be fitted to the unit" there's a much greater chance of it not sitting snugly along each individual length and will be a RPITA to conceal the joints.

Or has Puppers got the wrong end of the stick (or even the wrong stick)?

In an ideal world I'd do it like that, but clamping is a problem - plus the small(ish)  gap between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling adds to the fun :no:  So the plan is to glue one corner (done) and then offer that up (and secure with screws) so the second corner can be glued in-situ.  We'll see.....

And finally:

image.png.7284a31c0581a4977e60fc78536fd57e.png

image.png.b5ecfa525e768cbcdb1dde0d56842e79.png

image.png.c80168bdeec925ab3d60dc5641cf1a81.png

image.png.425393b32da8ccbfd4d3b569bd48c941.png

image.png.d2b1c7ff398e7ebe5926c651532c0324.png

image.png.8011657f758e9e01710a5bce1da31202.png

image.png.b8c3a79b60101490551da94cf1e9f7aa.png

• Funny 17