RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On 21/06/2021 at 13:42, The Stationmaster said:

I was amazed to read upthread of  roofing tiles only lasting 20 years.  That sounds like built in obsolescence to me presumably intended to keep manufacturers and roofers in work forever.   There is a bungalow at the top of our road which is roofed with cedar shingles and I can remember it being built which makes it at least 50 years old (more likely 60 in fact) and it has never to my knowledge been renewed.   Tiled and slated roofs around here, including the house opposite, are far older but if anything at all goes its some of the timber inside that has to be replaced and the outer covering is reused.

Good morning all

I've seen 75-200 years quoted as the lifespan of natural slate but manufactured tiles can (or could) also have long lifespans

Some years ago I was exploring the remnants of the narrow gauge railway that ran between Roquefort (not the cheesy one) and Lencouaq in Landes (SW France)*  that opened in 1907 and finally closed in 1934. I was surprised to find, at its outer terminus  of Lencouaq-Jourets, that two of the three buildings there were still more or less intact and being used as timber/firewood  stores. They were roofed with machine made ceramic roman tiles (tuiles mecaniques) and, apart from a few breakages from falling branches, these all seemed to be in perfect condition over a hundred years after they'd been installed. I think Jourets itself had fallen out of use by 1929 when the local timber company extended its 60cm "industrial" lines to  a nearby mainline railhead but in rural France such buildings are rarely wasted.

That part of France is hot in summer but fairly cool and soggy in winter and Jourets is in a massive area of pine forests. It's actually a couple of kilometres beyond the village of Lencouaq and was mainly used for timber traffic with only one of the two or three daily  passenger services (probably mixed) going that far. The much larger goods shed at Lencouaq-Bourg station was also still intact but had been converted so I couldn't tell whether the roof had been replaced.

Today is dull but due to get to a sweltering 15 degrees. At least it's not raining so it'll soon be time for walkies.

*This obscure line was the only public  75cm line in France and it seems that only three photographs of it have ever been found.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ohms to measure at the moment.

Ohm, Ohm on the raaange.....

Too late, long gone.....:laugh:

In other news:

Bear has no less than five roofers scurrying about on the roof - I did think that today was for renewal of next door's lead gulley, but plan 2 has been invoked and the guys are doing that and Bear's felt & batten renewal at the same time.  The front of the house has been done already (tiles not replaced yet though) and tomorrow will be for the felt at the rear of the house.

Bear has successfully filled the gap above the broom cupboard door by cutting and fixing a piece of 5mm infill from an off-cut, so is already painted and matches the door etc.  Happy Bear.

Now I'm working on the "frame" around the F/F - buddy next door assisted with the cutting of a 7ft long, 4" wide pre-finished panel to produce two battens 2" wide.  Now I need to attach one of these to the front edge of a tall decorative end panel using a biscuit jointer....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Why so short?  It's already up to 600,000,000 years old and should be good for millions more.  Has it reached it's "Best Before" date?

Yes,  but it hasn't been cut and the edges exposed to weathering, water ingress and freeze/thaw action. Slates don't generally fail from the middle but the edges and the nail holes.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

17 hours ago, polybear said:

ZERO?  Now that is a headline.  Even Tom & Jerry (remember them?) had it's share.  Boy, I really miss those guys - my Grandad loved them, and to be able to watch an episode or two with him now...well I'd give up LDC forever....:cry:

I guess they're not considered "PC" now - I've not seen them on the TV for years.  Bl00dy madness, bearing in mind the sicko cr@p they're happy to broadcast nowadays.

Is

We've quite a few of them on DVD. My boys have loved them!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Yes,  but it hasn't been cut and the edges exposed to weathering, water ingress and freeze/thaw action. Slates don't generally fail from the middle but the edges and the nail holes.

Ahah.

Realist versus geologist ;)  

I guess with correct napping and skilled trimming and fitting it should still outlast the generation who had them installed.  And probably more.  

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I guess with correct napping and skilled trimming and fitting it should still outlast the generation who had them installed.  And probably more.  

Yes, it will. I believe the most common point of failure is round the nail hole.

Think of a slate secured at one point, and wind, moving it, howsoever slightly, to that the hole erodes physically. Then think that ice will form and get between the layers, so freeze/thaw occurs.

Slates will outlast many lifetimes if fitted properly, but they're not immortal as they've been removed from the environment that formed and preserved them for several hundred million years, and they're returning to the mud from whence they came before they were cooked and pressurised.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

The other problem with slate is the price.  When we built the house we went for Spanish slate which was massively less expensive than Welsh slate but on the other hand Welsh roofing slates cost (or coast then) about a fifth of the price of Delabole roofing slates - if you could get the latter.   Roofing slate does have a finite life although it is a pretty long one compared with most other roofing materials (including some clay or concrete tiles).

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

One piece of recent amusement I forgot to mention - according to information published by an American sounding concern '(a real estate consultancy) Harper Dennis Hobbs vitality index we now appear near the top of the listing of the best high streets.  Seems we have jumped 26 places in the batting order since their last publication of this 'vitality index' which suggest to me that it most be solely down to Harrods caff and Majestic Wine opening establishments in the town because those are the only differences over the past few years apart from a few more local shops having to close down and a couple of bank branches disappearing.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/revealed-uk-best-worst-high-152831422.html

As it comes from a 'real estate consultancy' I have the strong impression that the placing probably has more to do with house price inflation improving the rake-off estate agents make on property sales than anything to do with our little changed 'high street' (we don't have one of those in any case).   While the grass is always greener on the other side I'd say our town centre compares poorly with Marlow for the number and variety of local shops and in some respects for locally owned eateries.   We are probably a bit prettier around the riverside than Marlow is and there aren't such large 'social housing' estates as there are in Marlow.  And Henley is probably more popular with tourists (not necessarily a plus point of course).    

But if we're in the top ten I'd hate to think what some of the other places are like:scratchhead:  (but Marlborough is nice - apart from the continuous stream of through traffic)

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

We are probably a bit prettier around the riverside than Marlow is and there aren't such large 'social housing' estates as there are in Marlow.  And Henley is probably more popular with tourists (not necessarily a plus point of course).    

But if we're in the top ten I'd hate to think what some of the other places are like:scratchhead:  (but Marlborough is nice - apart from the continuous stream of through traffic)

Ah but Marlow doesn't have the American women rowers walking round though, or is that attraction not mentioned in the estate agents blurb.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had a call about the shingles and pneumonia jabs, quite honestly I'd forgotten about them so I've made the appointment for the jabs.

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Yes, it will. I believe the most common point of failure is round the nail hole.

Think of a slate secured at one point, and wind, moving it, howsoever slightly, to that the hole erodes physically. Then think that ice will form and get between the layers, so freeze/thaw occurs.

Slates will outlast many lifetimes if fitted properly, but they're not immortal as they've been removed from the environment that formed and preserved them for several hundred million years, and they're returning to the mud from whence they came before they were cooked and pressurised.

My cottage in Burnham-on-Crouch built in 1862 had a slate roof. I was living there in 1987 at the time of the great storm. They survived that without damage to the slates themselves but the battens supporting them were a bit past it. Not unexpected with the dislodged slates pulling out the nails (those that hadn't rusted away). When the roofer who did the repairs reckoned that many of the battens were original and 125 years old, as were the slates. At the rear was a scullery extension that was added c. 1920 with artificial slates made from asbestos so as I had to have the flat roof replaced on the 1950's bathroom extension behind the scullery (by now the kitchen) I had both rooves replaced, the scullery with tiles and the flat roof with fibreglass.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well this morning I said it was grey.

Grey turned to rain until I got to Eastleigh about 11-45, and then back to grey.

The Sun did try to come through about 14-30 just as I was leaving.

It was good over there, but not as good as it could have been had there not been an Electrical Failure between Eastleigh and Fareham, which is NOT GOOD when you have 3rd Rail Electric units with no power back up.:banghead:

Anyone got a spare Bus they can borrow please?:notme:

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

I like Tom and Jerry, for me, it's one of the classic cartoons. The originals only though, I think I've caught some of the 'modern remakes', thought they were awful. 

There used to be a weekly show of cartoons in the Union building at Glasgow University. The show was known as ‘the Freds’, from the producer of those original Tom and Jerry cartoons.

• Like 18