The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On 06/07/2021 at 08:06, chrisf said:

You should be really proud to have that young lady as a member of your family.

Yeah, although it's extended family, she's still family!

A really touching song that can speak to so many.

I hope everyone is surviving the Widge weather.

Widge Weather:  Comes from an old BBC Look and Read TV series, Through the Dragons Eye.  Widges look a little like Ewoks(?) from Star Wars.  Means weather that drastically changes in short notice.

Was sunny here a little while ago, then was just tipping it down with rain and now it's sunny again.

• Like 16

This Zoom talk later today might be of interest to one or two folk here.  Last night I attended an hour's talk on the various Manx tramways, part 2 covers the steam railways.

Wednesday, July 7, 2021: The Reverend W. Awdry based his series of books on actual operating narrow gauge lines, many of which are still in seasonal service.  One of these lines is the Isle of Man Railways, a part of which is still with us and still mostly steam powered.  The Isle of Man Steam Railways is the crown jewel of the railways remaining on the island.  This thirty minute electronic slide show includes both the current operating line and views of the now abandoned lines to Peel and Ramsey.  We will then go on to view the MINOR RAILWAYS OF THE ISLE OF MAN: This short presentation explores the ‘other railways’ located on this small island include two steam powered railways that have been re-instated, one a 19 inch gauge line that served a lead mine; the other a two foot gauge line that actually goes ‘Uphill to the Sea!”  Finally there are the shadows of the standard gauge trolley line that was once owned by a subsidiary of the Baltimore Transit Company.

3:00 PM eastern US time 8:00 PM London time: TYNWALD DAY, THE ISLE OF MAN STEAM RAILWAYS: and the MINOR RAILWAYS OF THE ISLE OF MAN: This timing is aimed for the United Kingdom community.

To attend this Event:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81561843222?pwd=TU5MbnpCakdreUwySHdhY29kQXJOdz09

Meeting ID: 815 6184 3222          Passcode: 954882

8:00 PM eastern US time 1:00 AM on July 8, 2021 London time: TYNWALD DAY and THE ISLE OF MAN STEAM RAILWAYS: The normal time for this event in the United States.

To attend this Event:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87959327355?pwd=dTZMOUw4US9vcVM0YnFTQVR2endaQT09

Meeting ID: 879 5932 7355          Passcode: 934312

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

That's because of plastic degradation. Old hard hats are false security.

New hard hats are false security too, some folk think they are meant to stop things being dropped on you causing major damage, they are pretty much just bump caps so if you bump into something it won't hurt, they are not crash helmets.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

13 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Our government had a stockpile of protective gear, including masks, from the 2002 SARS outbreak. However they were life-expired by last year. Who knew that masks had a best-before date? (Who found out?) 

So did the US government with the same result. There was even a pandemic role-play exercise in the transition to the last administration in 2017.

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Best before dates on ppe I seem to recall that was part of the problem at the start of the pandemic that the strategic reserve of ppe was out of date. Hadnt the chair polishers thought of rotating stock through it, although would out of date stuff been better than none at all, same with contents of first aid kits.

I don't think you want to use disintegrating or holey PPE in a pandemic for medical workers. Better than nothing for the general public.

13 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My question: would they still work as dust masks for wood-workers and such?

For non-toxins like natural wood perhaps. Not for fibreglass, or wood-finishings or haz-mat removals (lead, asbestos, etc). The distribution problem would be bigger than just purchasing new once production levels and demand return to normal.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

I see the boss of "MY PILLOW" is predicting Trump will return to power on August the 13th.. I do hope he's spent a lot of money on this..:D...

Sadly, this crackpot lives right here in the Twin Cities.

His products are by all accounts pretty good, however he's a complete nut-job, he should have been taken off to the funny farm ages ago! :O

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good Evening awl and given the nature of the day so far, for how long will it remain thus?

The subject of sodium in softened water reared its ugly head, I note. I understand the amount depends on the softening process so may or may not affect blood pressure etc. (Aside: the body needs a certain amount of sodium and both a pharmacist and an A&E nurse have been heard to suggest that one of the better remedies for dehydration is a packet of ready salted crisps!)

On plastics:

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

New hard hats are false security too, some folk think they are meant to stop things being dropped on you causing major damage, they are pretty much just bump caps so if you bump into something it won't hurt, they are not crash helmets.

I often wondered about the crew on the lower deck(s) (usually, as was the case for the Solent Sealink service, under a movable, laden upper deck) and what protection the hard hat would have afforded if the upper deck anchor bolts gave way! ;)

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Missed out on most of today due to a busy work day, so consequently not much of interest to report either :(

However, 

7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Of course, plastic degradation is mainly because of sunlight and oxygen. 

But please don't tell the government otherwise they'll try to ban them.

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Or tax them.

Jamie

if the latter, BoJo ain't gonna make much out of us Brits so far this 'summer".

Might be back later, but if not greetings and best wishes to all.

• Like 13

When i was on the Bison job i often had to go into the yards where the trailers were loaded that was a hard hat zone. You were not supposed to stand under a slung load sometimes you ended up walking in circles as they loaded. Hard hats wouldn't do you much good if a slab dropped on you. We did have a guy killed on a site in Greenford a slab fell out of the steelwork and hit him there wasnt a lot left to scrape up. I did see the photos taken as part of the investigation. Incedently all of the 45' flat trailers were numbered with the prefix 5 this trailer was 513. The trailer had its bed stripped off and all the frame jetwashed and a new bed on it. It was being loaded at Leeds when the lifting beam on a tower crane cam crashing to the ground.  No one was injured but 5 sets of trousers needed to be changed. It took an hour for the crane driver to get his nerve back to go down the ladder his legs were shaking that much.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Bear worked in the shipyards in Glasgow for a while back in '93 - the number of times I whacked my bonce whilst moving around the ship was unreal, simply cos'  the peak on the hard hat prevented me from seeing hazards just above me.  A lot of the guys employed at the yard ( I was a subbie) didn't wear hard hats, despite there being requirement signs just prior to boarding.  I guess the company had covered their ar5e - if you chose to ignore it then that's your problem if something goes wrong.

Incidentally, how many of you saw the feature on the news about bonfires in NI?  Jeez, one of the was shaped like a wedding cake (without the pillars), circular and made out of pallets - thousands of them.  It was still being built - 70ft tall and planned to be 120ft tall when finished; they were using a bl00dy great construction crane to get the pallets to the top.  The HSE would have a heart attack if they saw the way it was being built.

In other news:

A good day in the kitchen - the wall units are now firmly attached (hopefully...), level and bolted to each other.  One decorative end panel has been fitted, with the last planned for tomorrow, along with the corner post. 

Now watching the kickball - not overly bothered, but some games are worth watching for the hell of it.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

They do offer some protection from falling objects:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/&do=findComment&comment=2234605

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was all our fault of course, according to the Chinese police - that's how it goes in places like that, or it did in the 70's. 

Can't imagine it being too different now either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

53 minutes ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, how many of you saw the feature on the news about bonfires in NI?  Jeez, one of the was shaped like a wedding cake (without the pillars), circular and made out of pallets - thousands of them.  It was still being built - 70ft tall and planned to be 120ft tall when finished; they were using a bl00dy great construction crane to get the pallets to the top.  The HSE would have a heart attack if they saw the way it was being built.

That sort of thing got out of hand at the A&M University in Texas as what started as a simple bonfire ended up over the years as a serious bit of civil engineering.  Of course one year it all went very horribly wrong.

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4