RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

And now for a complete change...

https://www.stags.co.uk/properties/14128589/sales

If I had £600,000, I'd consider it but you can get bigger houses in the same area for the same price.

And looks a little too modern inside for me. And it pote tislly floods twice a year. 

But access could be fun! I don't like neighbours.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 15

3 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Family member sent me this.

If I had £600,000, I'd consider it but you can get bigger houses in the same area for the same price.

And looks a little too modern inside for me.

Interesting, same popped up for me on farcebook! Must be my railway interests there...

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If I had £600,000, I'd consider it

I wouldn't.  Except for the old platform it is Flood Zone 3, and the same height above the river as the GW main line at Cowley Bridge.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

@Barry O

Are you going to board up the windows? Sounds like the type to crack the gas pipe then short out the main cable whilst looking fo the source of the leak.

No I will keep them slightly ajar.. 

Baz

• Like 16

Evening, muggy old day, dry, but looks like it might precipitate at any moment, been on another cycle ride, part of my preparation for the mountain climbing at the weekend(who am I kidding, I'll be looking at the map for the most spread apart contour lines), ruck sack is packed except for food and drink, weather forecast is iffy but not windy, I don't mind getting wet as much as being blown off your feet when up high.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

automatic scrolling, this Washington, DC Metro sign (VIENNA) has small bars printed at the edge on the mylar, each destination having a different pattern. The motorman selects VIENNA on the ODK (Operator's Display and Keypad) and all of the signs on the train roll around to VIENNA:

London buses (among others) have much the same system though it is somewhat more recent.  Until perhaps 20 years ago it was necessary to wind the blinds by hand.  On a very few vehicles it still is.  But most have the electronic detection system triggered by the driver entering the journey details.  They can also be re-set in the event of the journey being short-turned which happens sometimes if there has been a delay.  It's a way of getting service back on track even though it inconveniences passengers already on board wishing to go beyond the turning point.  

London has, almost without exception, chosen to avoid electronic destination displays.  Those have become more refined since the early ones I had the misfortune to use.  They were of the flip-dot kind controlled by small electro-magnets and displayed either a yellow or black face.  There was no refinement of font and no allowance for curved letters or numbers.  Thus we were stuck with weird abbreviated destinations at times and number displays which made no sense.  The number shown for route 4d appeared exactly the same as for route 40 give or take a couple of dots on the top corners of the 0; you wouldn't spot that without knowing what to look for.  They were very different routes but shared the same starting point.  One offered the destination "TR VIA STD RCH" which was Truro via St. Day and Royal Cornwall Hospital and the other "HAYLTWNS STIVES" which roughly translated means "St. Ives via Hayle Towans"  Yes.  As for the contortion required to use the tiny re-set control - more than one driver lost their footing from the cab step and took sick leave.  I understand it's a bit better now.  25 years on.  

Bins are done.  Recycling is done.  Dishes are done.  It must be time to open the packages which have arrived from points, various, but which all should contain one pack of V-skips.  A new and somewhat smaller-scale project is in the very early stages of gestation.  Enough of that here.  

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good Evening awl, for it has the makings of becoming thus.

Work worked; shopping shopped; what's for supper?

Elsewhere, the Ever Given is now reported to be in the 'open' Mediterranean and heading towards the Atlantic. (move the map to find her from under where it says Draught 15.5m)

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

For some reason Classic FM is playing a tune about three pussy cats sitting on someone's shirt. It has of course been arranged in a classical format and comes out quite well.

Are they lions, per se, or heraldic griffins?

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

She never gives me instructions and only very rarely ask me to do jobbies etc.

I hope you clear them up afterwards if she does!

• Funny 16

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

There was a miscreant throwing stones at cars just over the border on the dark side (Suffolk) it took some months before they got him by which time many cars had been hit.. He hid behind trees and hedges to do so.

Even worse are the dark hearts that shoot at passing cars - and do so multiple times. There was a shooter in Phoenix along Interstate 10 a few years ago and one recently in the LA metro on the 91 Freeway. The latter was using a pellet / BB gun so, while there was damage, including blown out windows, and very frightened motorists, there were no fatalities to the best of my knowledge. Nonetheless, the suspect was (reasonably) charged with attempted murder.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Excuse the intrusion after an absence of a considerable time but for John Buchan devotees ( are there still any alive ?) tonight on TV instead of “Our National Game “ we have a version of The 39 Steps on film followed by an appraisal by literary worthies of JB ( No,not the whisky of that name).   I too,following on from advice from the Man In Seat 61,will soon dog Hannay’s footsteps and alight in the midst of a Highland wilderness but in more comfortable circumstances. I hope no deerstalker misguidedly takes a pot shot at me…..and a comforting breakfast awaits 

Welcome to Sleeper Scot….Rannoch Moor style.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

Our local bus co in the 80's& 90's (Stevensons of  Uttoxeter), used to list destinations alphabetically. Which was ok when they had half a dozen destinations, when they expanded changing the display on the 401 from Burton to Uttoxeter took longer & longer.... Eventually they did modify them too add more Burtons

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

We are still being Weed upon, very fine misty stuff, like the stuff that doesn't look wet but gets you wet.:scratchhead:

Come and wee over here, Andy, wee'll take all you can spare.  No rain in weeks and none to come anytime soon.  Reservoirs in sunny Calif are drying up - looks dodgy!  Here in WA, things aren't quite so bad especially West of the Cascades but we run our sprinklers every day as theres too much already invested in the garden!

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

46 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Excuse the intrusion after an absence of a considerable time but for John Buchan devotees ( are there still any alive ?) tonight on TV instead of “Our National Game “ we have a version of The 39 Steps on film followed by an appraisal by literary worthies of JB ( No,not the whisky of that name).   I too,following on from advice from the Man In Seat 61,will soon dog Hannay’s footsteps and alight in the midst of a Highland wilderness but in more comfortable circumstances. I hope no deerstalker misguidedly takes a pot shot at me…..and a comforting breakfast awaits 

Welcome to Sleeper Scot….Rannoch Moor style.

I love John Buchans Hannay series i actually prefer Greenmantle which was the sequel to the 39 steps there was a further book the Island of Sheep. The Rupert Penry Jones version was on Drama earlier this week

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Come and wee over here, Andy, wee'll take all you can spare.  No rain in weeks and none to come anytime soon.  Reservoirs in sunny Calif are drying up - looks dodgy!  Here in WA, things aren't quite so bad especially West of the Cascades but we run our sprinklers every day as theres too much already invested in the garden!

Brian.

Our water restrictions allow sprinklers only two days a week, 4AM to 9 AM - different two days for odd and even addresses. Spraying with handheld hoses isn’t restricted (yet).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13