The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Very late on parade this morning! After breakfast I went straight out to a small independent plant nursery for some more plants, YES I DID SAY MORE PLANTS. We recently bought 2 small tin Bath type tubs which needed planting up, which is today's task. They are both now complete and Sheila is a very happy bunny. As is usual when I visit this nursery, I bought too many plants, but at only £1 each, it did not break the bank, so a few more will go in another pot, the rest will go in the garden. 

The weather here is cloudy and dull and a lot cooler than during the week, makinnworkna little more pleasant. I am currently taking a break and I am sitting outside the workshop enjoying my muggertea. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 19

Good Afternoon.

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, dull and overcast but cooler, which is nice. More paint was applied to the living room ceiling yesterday, but of course I can't start emulsioning just yet as we all know it can take days for paint to dry,,,,,,,,,can't it?

Watch and see! :jester:

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is waiting for the 100m cake eating race to become an O sport.  The Marathon I'd leave to Big H though - even this Bear has limits....

Just out of curiosity, what did you have in mind, a race over 100m while competitors eat cake or competitors eating a cake 100m long or in diameter (:blink:) ? 

The former could be an interesting spectator sport. 

Can we discuss an alternative Olympic programme? I'll see Bear's 100m cake-eating race with a 100m pogo stick event (with all competitors required to hold a mouthful of water over the full distance without swallowing or 'ejecting' this) and raise him relay wheelbarrow races, played in fancy dress, natch...  :jester:

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The White Rabbit said:

Just out of curiosity, what did you have in mind, a race over 100m while competitors eat cake or competitors eating a cake 100m long or in diameter (:blink:) ? 

The former could be an interesting spectator sport. 

Can we discuss an alternative Olympic programme? I'll see Bear's 100m cake-eating race with a 100m pogo stick event (with all competitors required to hold a mouthful of water over the full distance without swallowing or 'ejecting' this) and raise him relay wheelbarrow races, played in fancy dress, natch...  :jester:

Bear was thinking of a table 100m long laden with cake....munch your way from start to finish....:jester:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
Just now, polybear said:

Bear was thinking of a table 100m long laden with cake....munch your way from start to finish....:jester:

Interesting. I was picturing something like a dog race with the cake on a trolley being pulled along just in front of the competitors.

• Like 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. TV on the blink again, at least while the Olympics are on I'm not too bothered. 

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Afternoon all.

I wasn’t going to but I have driven to Enfield with Aditi to see MiL.  The A10 exit from the M25 is closed this weekend. I would have just carried on to the next exit but the sat nav and Google maps were showing large delays.So,we went M25, M11 south then the North Circular to the A10 then through Enfield suburbia until we emerged somewhere near MiL’s residence. Leaving a space so as not to grid lock traffic seems to get the driver behind horn happy in this part of London. Going home should be easier as that slip road to the M25 is open. 
As far as I am concerned if ERs want to mention sports they have participated in or watched it is fine. I am not particularly sporty myself but quite like to know what other people like. 
Tony

I was listening to the traffic news just after 2 PM. It was announced that there had been an accident in the Bell Common tunnel and two lanes were closed clockwise. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Jumping off the Mickey 2-5 at J26 (Waltham Abbey) is often a good alternative, as that gives an easy route thru' Waltham Cross and up to the A10 not far away.

True,  but not so today. J26 was not moving either. My satnav and Google maps were in agreement about which way to go. My satnav was giving quite accurate information, there must have been a lot of other Land Rovers and Jaguars sharing traffic information. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Of marathons I know something. I ran the London three times and for reasons which elude me I’d love to give it another go. Hippos and Bears take note. LDC would be a very welcome addition to the official and ad-hoc refreshments offered along the way. Never one to be in contention for medals I have at least competed in the same race as the world’s elite even if my best time of 3h 57m is almost double the world record!  And I do have the finisher’s medal given to all who complete the course.

Impressed....

:clapping::clapping:

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

very welcome addition to the official and ad-hoc refreshments offered along the way.

Aditi’s brother used to run in the Nottingham Pork Farms marathon. The pork pie for each contestant wasn’t much use to him as he was (and still is) vegetarian. 

• Like 12
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all 

Bad nights sleep last night although it was cooler.

Had a passing visit from Flying Scotsman this morning watched from bedroom window an route Derby to Carlisle didnt see much due to trees on embankment.

We invested in an air cooler last year its a fan which you add water to a tank you can add ice packs similar to the boards that go in a cool box.

• Like 17

I have also been cutting some of the old deck boards into stakes to prop up the aforementioned lavender. I was going to use garden canes but i thought it would be wasteful not to use what may end up as waste. I also have a new doggy fence to make to stop the dog from going down the alley between our garden and the alley that gets to the back of the houses. I am hoping to use as many of the scrap boards as possible.

• Like 18