The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Chuckinitdarn again, 16mm so far, garden is watered anyway.

I seem to have emptied my piggy bank on a new Royal Enfield (bike, not gun).   Just a little 350 Meteor (inappropriate name, it is certainly not fast!) cruiser that makes riding with the various broken bits of my skeleton easier.  Cheap as chips for what it is, their quality has taken a leap into the 21st century, it's nothing like the old Indian Enfield Bullets, which could be, er, of dubious quality.

oilfield.JPG.8678ecd1941594a6386ee8e4e359e6bf.JPG

A certain Bear would really like one of these - sadly the lack of a garage means that such toys are unlikely.  Local Psycho car drivers are rather off-putting too....

image.png.fcb22bd46bc67cf47e0e748a0e513de9.png

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

Our films did though include rubidium and caesium,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZY6d6jrq-0 

Caesium looks rather fun - where can a Bear buy some? :biggrin_mini:

In other news:

Bear spent the afternoon squidging a tube of decorator's sealant on various bits of kitchen, which helps disguise a multitude of sins....

Mr Weatherperson suggests that Bear Towers will be bathed in sunshine tomorrow, which is A Good Thing since it means I should be able to complete the remaining decorative wall unit plinth work, which is a very, very big milestone....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I just finished harvesting the hay mowing the lawn, that's done for a few more weeks. :yahoo: I still have to use the weedeater in a few spots but there is no real hurry on that . Now to sit back, relax and sip a large cool one! My lower back is giving me a little grief for bending over to refill the mower (i do not like to leave the fuel level low) as the five-gallon can is quite heavy when almost full.

Edit: When I started, I wanted to cut a path to each shed so I set the blades at their lowest setting; I darn near was plowing rather than mowing! That setting is about an inch, the normal setting that I use is about 2½ inches.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Got a viewing this evening, 6pm - agent doesn't work that late, potential buyer can't make any earlier, so muggins here gets to show them round - AGAIN - I am seriously considering deducting £100 from their charges for each viewing that I've done - I believe it makes seven that I've done and five that they've done.

I have again had to do some skipping - as the laptop was again needed for "serious" purposes.  So generic greetings are on offer as ever.

Just as I type this, Lily (26 kg) has decided to sit on 30747's lap - by the time I got the camera, she had got off, so no picture today.

Music fans - this was a chance encounter at St Pancras station and is actually quite stunning

Back tomorrow (hopefully).

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have emptied my piggy bank on a new Royal Enfield … their quality has taken a leap into the 21st century, it's nothing like the old Indian Enfield Bullets, which could be, er, of dubious quality.

Aditi’s Dad got one of the original versions as his transport for his first job after qualifying as a doctor. This was as a doctor in a refugee camp just after partition in India. The site of the camp is now a city so it was quite a large area to cover.  After he was married MiL didn’t want to stay in Delhi so went to live in the camp with him. She once caused a crash as a sari she wore got caught in the back wheel. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Clear Prop!

Mr and Mrs Puppers actually ventured out today for the first time for a coffee and a bacon bap for lunch at Jordon's Mill cafe and very nice it was too sitting in the sunshine on the decking that overhangs the mill stream.   The walk to and from the car park was enough of a walk for today ....

I remember a few years ago a guy who was some sort of scientist i think bankrupted himself trying to challenge a £60 speeding ticket from a speed camera. The premise for his challenge was that the grid lines painted on the road were on a curve and therefore were not giving a true velocity. He went through various appeals and lost everything. 

I don't know if you are referring to a chap, the late Idris Francis or someone else.    My father knew Idris back in the 70's when at the time he was the chap behind the Flight Link Radio Control gear (at the time the very best available and as a consequence the most expensive) that father sold in his shop.   IIRC Flight Link were based in Hounslow and I remember father going over to collect stock from time to time.         Later on, if the various reports on the internet are correct, it appears Mr Francis became slightly obsessed by trying to get off of speeding charges by amongst other things claiming human rights violations when obliged to "fessing up" as to who was actually driving a vehicle when it was detected exceeding the speed limit.   I believe earlier activities included querying the accuracy and infallibility of speed cameras and possibly their operators.     He took his appeals all the way to Strasbourg which can't have been cheap although I've no idea if it actually he bankrupted himself in doing so.

He did have a very nice Alvis ....

https://alvisarchive.com/2019/02/13/idris-francis/

A certain Bear would really like one of these - sadly the lack of a garage means that such toys are unlikely.  Local Psycho car drivers are rather off-putting too....

I'm afraid that, in general, modern bikes do absolutely nothing for me and that's an example of one doing absolutely nothing .... :lol:

An old Hewlett Packard atomic clock? 

I wonder if there were any of those knocking about at the old place @polybear?

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

My Dad did quite a lot of motor bike riding around India before Partition when he spent about two years as a sergeant in the Military Police attached to the Indian Army. HQ was at Secunderabad but he spent most of his time at Ranchi and Calcutta.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its been rain-sun-rain-sun all day, it was raining heavily up to a few minutes ago and now its dry but for how long? Looks as if I may need a new fridge freezer. The fridge part is working OK but the freezer when I managed to open the door was chock full of ice. A dodgy door seal is the prime suspect. If it can't be repaired/replaced then a new fridge freezer is on the cards. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

In other news:

Bear spent the afternoon squidging a tube of decorator's sealant on various bits of kitchen, which helps disguise a multitude of sins....

Mr Weatherperson suggests that Bear Towers will be bathed in sunshine tomorrow, which is A Good Thing since it means I should be able to complete the remaining decorative wall unit plinth work, which is a very, very big milestone....

Aghhh, Clews Competition Machines = CCM, First built by Alan Clews for Moto Cross in the 70's, didn't look like that back then though.

image.png.9597ee40980c36d47f3ada7d47637d6f.png

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Same here. I used to watch it, and try my best to be amused; but most of it seemed completely puerile to me. 

Ministry of silly walks? Well I could do a silly walk, especially after breaking my leg; but no one laughed at me. My grandkids do silly walks when they have had too much sugar, but they get told off for being stupid. 

Glad to know that it's not only me

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking up rude words in the dictionary was about as far as you could get in English....

You must have gone to a very sedate school!

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

Aft'noon folks, missed out on most of RMweb happenings today due to work. Managed to catch up and 'like' as appropriate in between nodding off. Not much else to report. Back later to say goodnight.

Edit to report a single flash and rumble, but mucho rain.

Ditto :(

RMweb seems  to be behaving oddly again, no quote name fir quoted posts and next page button takes one to the end of that page and not the beginning. 

intervals of sun and rain amidst South Derbyshire grey today. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Good Evening Awl,

Another interesting day; blustery but warm following showers overnight. Not sure I'd like to be on the Isle of Wight just now, though.

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/homes-underwater-in-binstead-with-fire-crews-battling-the-flood/

Elsewhere:

Speaking of comedy, I tend to like a good bit of the absurd in my comedy. Growing up, we also heard the Saturday/Sunday lunchtime radio shows, so in the late 70's/early 80s I appreciated Just a Minute, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, the Goons, Beyond our Ken/Round the Horne. I also found Blackadder and the first five or so series of Red Dwarf really funny. Porridge and Open All Hours were superb, as was the Two Ronnies. Most sitcoms try too hard to be funny; they run out of storyline so invent a silly stunt that actually is so ridiculous in the situation it doesn't work - Last of the Summer Wine, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served? all fall into the "awful" category, as does Terry and June.

Other I liked at the time and have not seen in years, so may have dated include the Goodies, Yes Minister, Men Behaving Badly.

A) was a Consultant, so no hope, they're bullet proof.  B ) well, I cannot confirm nor deny....... :P

Morning world, 16c currently, showers last night on the rock have left a fresher feel at last - more today though which is a shame, going to look at a bike this morning.....smaller and more knackered NHN compatible. 

Another Hitch-Hikers Guide fan here, I first heard it on an LP, then got the boxed set of tapes of the radio show. The film was dire IMHO.  That's just not Marvin. (noted the real Marvin has a cameo appearance).  Dads Army I think was OK, if of its time.  My Dad was in the Home Guard for the early part of the war before eventually becoming a Wavy-Navy Lieutenant (E), he reckoned Dads Army was totally true to life.  The Navy Lark was compulsory Sunday lunchtime listening, or whatever was on at the time, Goons, etc.  We had Blaster Bates do a show at college, he was hilarious - I have several of the LP's in my vinyl collection.

A lot of this type of comedy was written by 'insiders'! Laurie Wyman (Navy Lark) was ex-Navy. Yes Minister / Prime Minister was co written by Antony Jay, a former advisor to Margaret Thatcher, and Jonathan Lynn. Dad's Army: Jimmy Perry served in the Home Guard, whilst his co-writer, David Croft, served in the Royal Artillery.

Blaster Bates and David Gunson have made a living recounting their work experiences, so, again, are factually based.

When I did HNC the man who taught me about radio and wave transmission systems had worked on radar development in WW2. One of his 'War Stories' was not telling the RAF everything they knew about German radar as they didn't want them to destroy it. They had guys on the ground trying to get information and nick bits of it intact. In addition they didn't want the Germans to retaliate by dropping loads of HE on our stuff. They just told them the best ways to try to avoid getting spotted too early by it.

He also told us how police speed guns were using a Doppler radar system to measure speeds. In the lab he got us to produce a toy for telling whether an object was moving towards or away from you.  He then drew up on the board a theoretical layout for a device to measure incoming frequency then set it to confuse the machine into thinking you were doing anything from going away to approaching at supersonic speed.

Another teacher who did control engineering had previously been responsible for setting up machines which took in large lumps of hot steel and spat out RSJs, rods, tubes and other sections.

My school chemistry teacher had been a lab tech for ICI before taking up teaching, and the games teacher was an England RU international forward. One of the languages masters who was an officer in our cadet force had been an interrogator working for SHAEF and had been involved at the Nuremberg trials.

When trying to educate the next generation, there is, arguably, no substitute for having done it yourself!

IMHO, too many teachers are much too young to fully understand what they are trying to teach. School - University - Teacher Training College - Teaching Post gives no outside experience.

In this context, George Bernard Shaw's "Those than can, do, those that can't..." etc. is not relevant.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Weather forecasters are warning about a 'heat wave' in the next couple of days. This one is more typical (we should see 38°C on Friday) than the extreme heat at the end of June which was almost 10°C hotter.

Otherwise it continues to be warm / hot and sunny as it has for many a long day now. I don't know how many days it has been since we saw measurable rain - more "antidiluvian" than antediluvian, I believe we've had well over 40 days and 40 nights of it not raining now.

Meanwhile of course there has been extreme flash-flooding in expected places like the desert southwest of the US and India, unexpected dreadful flooding in the Rhine valley and less typical urban settings in Central China, Mid-Atlantic US cities like Philadelphia and New York along with London.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. On/off heavy showers continue though the forecasters say things will improve over the next couple of days. I hope so as Arthur Itis has been making a meal of it lately.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13