Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

My burger contained one strip of lettuce by way of the advertised “fresh salad” ...

Puts me in mind of an old Foster's commercial. (For some reason YouTube no longer provides a link.)

A slab of steak is grilling in closeup. The voiceover (in thick 'strine') intones "Steak!". A sprig of parsley is dropped on the steak and the voiceover follows with "Salad!".

This was in the old "How to speak Australian" series of commercials. Many are available, but not the "Salad" version. It is probably at least 30 years old.

• Funny 19

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Sure....just so long as you bring the cake.  We'll need a lot......

I would be more than happy to bring LDC, Captain Cynical is a more than generous Supervillain and will happily treat his colleagues and minions to the occasional goodie without considering the expense. 

Captain Cynical
doesn’t “do” industrial food, so be warned: it will not contain any E-numbers, synthetic flavourings, palm oil, emulsifiers, stabilisers or teeth rotting quantities of sugar…. It will be artisanal and will cost a bit more (well, a lot, lot more) than £2.50 a slice (Captain Cynical is happy to do his bit in promoting real food - no matter the cost [what else am I going to do with the profits of crime?]).

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

…The dentist has a reputation locally for recommending crowns and root canals as the answer to everything….

Well, that certainly completely changes the analysis. In fact, given this new data you have provided, I now concur that the best strategy would be to run, not walk, to a (neighbour/friend) recommended dentist who has a bit more in his clinical box of tricks than crowns and root canals!.

I have been going to the same dentist for over 25 years now (and he still looks as young as he did when he first started treating me - maybe it’s something in the professional mouthwash he uses) and all the treatments he has recommended  have been entirely necessary and done to a high standard (the molar prothesis he installed is over 25 years old and shows no sign of needing revision let alone replacement).  Apart from the yearly clean and check up, I think I’ve seen my dentist only twice in the last five years: once for a small infection in the bone underneath one tooth and the second a crown that had cracked (not one of his).

5 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Good Night Awl!

Probably the same old S (consider chicken, sheep, goat, bull) t, but it's another day!

SSDD - as the Americans would say.

The topic of faeces is quite an interesting one and there are those who study such things in depth (I would say they “get to the bottom of things” but that would be a quip too far), one product of this research  is the Bristol Stool Scale - which is used both in research and in practice for diagnosis. Additionally, another product of this sort of research are faecal transplants which are now being used to treat a number of GI illnesses (it’s an effective treatment for Clostridioides difficile infection, amongst other things).

TMI? I’ll let you decide!

Like many of my colleagues (most of my colleagues?) I find the human body to be an infinitely interesting construct, however I do think there are more interesting bits of the body than the GI and GU tracts.  For me, one of the most interesting parts of the human body is the body’s biggest sex organ: the brain!

To conclude on a confessional, but entirely relevant, note I must admit that as a student I often asked young ladies of my acquaintance, and in whom I had considerable interest, if they would “help me study for my anatomy exams*”. To say more than just “I had a few willing helpers“ would be most ungentlemanly and I shall leave it there…

iD

* a less clichéd variant of  “would you like to have a cup of coffee” or “come up and see my LP collection” (both of which may strike a chord in ERs of a certain age….**)

** does anyone remember “come up and see my etchings“?

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

For Joseph P (and all other ERs with a female partner)

The Female of the Species

Rudyard Kipling 

When the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride, 
He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside. 
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail. 
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male. 

When Nag the basking cobra hears the careless foot of man, 
He will sometimes wriggle sideways and avoid it if he can. 
But his mate makes no such motion where she camps beside the trail. 

When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws, 
They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the squaws. 
'Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale. 

Although it is fashionable in some circles nowadays to decry Rudyard Kipling and his stories and poetry, I still think that his work reaches across the generations and remains meaningful. Contrary to what some self appointed decolonise the curriculum “experts” contend, I find Kipling to be most sympathetic towards, and admiring of, the native inhabitants of the various bits of the British Empire of the time (and to the working man. Tommy being a classic example).

• Like 9
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

@jonny777 My condolences for your loss.

Jamie are there no recurring examinations for vision and ability to drive as people age?

It appears not. I need a 2 yearly medical to retain my 7.5 ton and minibus categories but apart from that there is nothing.  However this is the country that sells VSP's (voiture sans permit) aka drunks cars. These are small cars with a maximum speed of 50 kph that you can drive without a driving licence, but you still need insurance and cannot go out of your home department.

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

To conclude on a confessional, but entirely relevant, note I must admit that as a student I often asked young ladies of my acquaintance, and in whom I had considerable interest, if they would “help me study for my anatomy exams*”. To say more than just “I had a few willing helpers“ would be most ungentlemanly and I shall leave it there…

iD

* a less clichéd variant of  “would you like to have a cup of coffee” or “come up and see my LP collection” (both of which may strike a chord in ERs of a certain age….**)

** does anyone remember “come up and see my etchings“?

I have on a couple of occasions  in recent years uttered the immortal phrase of 'Come up and see my etchings'.

These are of course in brass and contain parts for items not to be mentioned on ER's.

Anyway , good moaning to all and of course sundry.  I hope that Chris is enjoying Sidmouth and that he had some time with his aunt.    Here life progresses,  more travel preparations were completed and a very pleasant 4 hours was spent sitting by a railway line.

This morning is of course Emily hour then we are going to see some friends and help them to consume coffee and cake. It's a hard life.  This evening we are going round to some other friends for a barbecue.  Not a lot else to report.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all, after yesterdays wind, (NO sniggering at the back please), its a picture of calm outside the window this morning. The sky is a bright grey, but rain is forecast for later.

Very quiet day yesterday, I did nothing of any note, or of any interest to fellow ER's other than a bit of eyelid inspection in the late afternoon in the chair.

That is probably why I've had a bad night. 

Off to get breakfast early today, so, have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, touch dull here, outside 16c and dull too.

Orders are not yet issued, there is confusion as to what the day will bring due to conflict of The Big Show aka the Southern Agricultural Show which we would normally go to, but suspect the traffic will be horrendous - new venue, small lane, whole island population likely to be there - and other needs of the domestic variety.

Lack of sun and a rather stiff wind has kyboshed the planned kayaking. Pah, as the saying goes.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good Morning awl, for it seems still to be thus.

Off to a greater local metropolis for the purchase of footwear and fodder soon.

However:

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I went with gold rather than porcelain - slightly cheaper and more malleable.

ISTR my dentist telling me that a porcelain crown is a coated gold crown, hence the price difference!

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

17 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning all, I may be going AWOL or perhaps just distant, my youngest brother is in hospital, seems he has a lot of cancer in various parts of his body, we await results from further tests. Stay safe all.

Really sorry to read that, I hope you can give the support that is needed at this time.

Thinking of you and your Family.

• Agree 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

My mum died while I was in my final year at Uni,. Local GP missed her cancer until it was too late.

Snap (only not the "Uni" bit).   :friends:

As for "father", well I've not seen or heard from that B'stard since I was 11 years old.  Apart from once - eleven years ago he seemed to think it was a good idea to send a sympathy card :angry::angry: when Momma Bear died:cry::cry:.  To say this Bear hit the f.roof was an understatement :angry::angry::angry::angry: - and it caused a huge bust up with Brother on the morning of the funeral that he'd even told the *%^&&&££"!%^^)&^£$$% that she'd died (though his SWMBO tried to take the blame, claiming she had told him - which was bull***t as he'd already uttered the words "I had to").  That, and them finally admitting to the fact that they'd been married for the last 25 years and neglected to mention it (I discovered that little gem on the internet...), let alone invite us cos' dear Brother was too sh*t scared that "The B'stard" might be somewhat p1ssed off.....

How's that for a Beary rant?

p.s. As far as I know the B'stard is still alive, unless of course Brother has neglected to mention otherwise.....

7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We went on a bit of a trip today, to a couple of towns on Lake Huron that we used to spend time in when we had the park trailer.  A bit the worse for wear due to Covid. The train (15" gauge?) in Port Elgin has disappeared -- the station, roundhouse and fiddle yard are gone but the run through the park has no been lifted. There was a group on the beach demonstrating again the development that wants to go in there.  The demonstration was a sand castle model of the development.

Weather was colder -- I needed a coat. The road up had some construction on it -- in the return direction. We took a longer alternate route and ran into major constructon in one of the towns.

There's more here:

https://www.shorelinebeacon.com/news/local-news/iconic-port-elgin-beach-train-station-demolished

https://saugeentimes.com/the-little-port-elgin-train-is-officially-for-sale/

In other news:

Bear spent the morning cutting skirting board for the kitchen; a secret attack on the local chippie now beckons (the first for a fortnight) and afterwards the plan is to start fixing skirting to walls.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17