The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Strong tea, dash of milk, no sugar please Phil :)

Thats how it comes, and real tea, none of this namby-pamby tea bag stuff. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We went to British Columbia once but I think we were a month early and everything was shut so we drove back to Jasper in Alberta. 

How far did you go in BC and what were you expecting to see? The first habitation in BC west of Jasper is Tete Jaune Cache - that’s 100 km from Jasper, and not exactly a thriving metropolis. Spectacular scenery on the way, though.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If ever we go to BC again I suspect it will be visited from a cruise ship if such journeys ever happen again. 

A popular trip is:

- fly into Calgary

- drive a rental car through to Vancouver

- fly out of Vancouver

or vice-versa.

With roughly the same numbers doing it each way, I think you can avoid one-way charges on the car rental. I know at least Air Transat allow flight into one city, out from another at less than the cost of two single flights, having done that in Europe.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Further to my post above.

Too adventurous?  These little people have got me...hooked...and wondering...speechless...

Edited by southern42
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A strange weather day today - slightly cooler less hot at around 30°C, but with a lot of wildfire smoke at high altitude. The light was the colour of a partial eclipse all day - very hazy with dim shadows. The smoke stayed at altitude, as air quality was good.

Tomorrow will be cooler at about 24°C. Spotty drizzle is threatened - which, if it materializes, could break the string of consecutive days without measurable precipitation at around 51 days. Either way, there won't be a lot of rain in the valley but temperatures through the weekend will be nice.

More triple digit (°F) weather (38°C) is forecast for the middle of next week.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

It is raining! Not much coming down, but what there is is in big spots and the clouds look heavy. The last rain recorded at Vancouver airport fell on June 15. We have all the windows open, and the first sign of rain was the smell.

If there is a significant amount of rain, with all the rubber and oil on the roads, it will be something like a skid pan. And the traffic will churn up an ugly brown froth. I hope that there’s enough falls to clean the roads off quickly.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Morning All,

Feeling (somewhat) smugly virtuous this morning: I have fairly successfully completed a second week of a 1500 kcal/day diet (to put things into perspective a single Greg’s sausage roll contains 328 kcals!). I decided to get radical and see if I could get myself off the plateau my weight has been stuck on during the pandemic. Whilst drastic (weight loss should be about 1.5 to 2kgs/week) it’s not particularly onerous, although it does mean (look away now, Bear) no LDC, Chocolate Digestives or Pork Pies (&tc., &tc., &tc…). Also, by being so low, it allows for some deviation without significantly impacting on weight loss.

As one with a scientific bent, I quite like the analytical aspects of the diet (weighing foodstuffs, calculating calorie [correctly kilocalorie - kcal] and carb content) which, coupled with some small ability in the kitchen, means I can eat quite well without resorting to “diet” foods (if I’m going to ingest chemicals they should be of the right recreational variety).

Anyway enough of the tedious minutiae of my hum-drum daily existence…

Weather remains unseasonably wet and cold, although - with what I hope will be prescient foresight - I have taken advantage of the currently reduced prices to upgrade/replace the AC in the attic office.

I‘ve always thought that cold weather is easier to manage than hot. With hot weather once you‘ve stripped down to bare skin, turned on the AC and it‘s still too bloody hot - you’re out of options. Whereas when it‘s cold you can pile on the layers, crank up the central heating, eat lots of steak & kidney pudding and plum duff, seal all the cracks in window and door frames, throw a few logs (or peasants - your choice)  on the fire and you’ll be nice and toasty warm.

And on that unseasonal note I bid you a toasty POETS day.

iD

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, southern42 said:

Dunno but 'twas the week's click n collect groceries today. Only one alteration this week - pack of two Little Gems substituted with pack of two giant ROMA!NE HEARTS which half filled the salad box in the fridge and there is only me that eats it!

(\___/)

(=*.*=)  yum yum

(())  

So the Supermarket swapped these:

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/mcvities-iced-gems-6-pack#

- for these:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/essential-romaine-hearts/034093-17059-17060?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PPCGShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn8vA-8yb8gIVCflRCh0J8wjlEAQYCCABEgJHbfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And you're pleased??

Bear most confused.......

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Feeling (somewhat) smugly virtuous this morning: I have fairly successfully completed a second week of a 1500 kcal/day diet (to put things into perspective a single Greg’s sausage roll contains 328 kcals!). I decided to get radical and see if I could get myself off the plateau my weight has been stuck on during the pandemic. Whilst drastic (weight loss should be about 1.5 to 2kgs/week) it’s not particularly onerous, although it does mean (look away now, Bear) no LDC, Chocolate Digestives or Pork Pies (&tc., &tc., &tc…). Also, by being so low, it allows for some deviation without significantly impacting on weight loss.

iD neglected to mention if all this pain actually worked in achieving any weight loss?

In other news:

How not to win votes in many communities:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58107009

I bet that'll go down really, really well......

I see the cost of Isolation Hotels is just about to be jacked up:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/uk-increases-hotel-quarantine-isolation-24688947

So that'll be £3715 for a Hubby & SWMBO.  Ouch.

A nice snooze spoilt by the P Alarm going off at 01-55.  Unimpressed.

Right, Bear is off to Screwfix shortly for a pack of mirror screws; I reckon some spare sealant cartridge nozzle may come in handy too.  Anyone know how to stop sealant going hard in a nozzle over time?  I've tried using nozzles with screw-on caps, and also taping over the end of a nozzle with insulating tape.  No joy....:angry:

• Like 11
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all.

Sounds wet and looks gloomy here in South Derbyshire today, never mind only 7 working hours until POOTTS, I wonder if it will be achieved? 

Time to drag myself out mi pit........

Until later, make the best of what Friday sends your way.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Anyone know how to stop sealant going hard in a nozzle over time?  I've tried using nozzles with screw-on caps, and also taping over the end of a nozzle with insulating tape.  No joy....:angry:

Depends how long the time is. I tape over the end of the nozzle with duct tape. The sealant gun has a long enough piercing pin to get beyond the nozzle into the actual sealant cartridge, so a small amount of hardening in the nozzle doesn’t matter. The sealant is definitely re-usable for a year. After that, it’s hit and miss - I feel it depends quite a bit on the type of sealant involved.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

And still we are being Weeeeeeeed upon. The Great Grand kids are off school and wanted to spend the summer around at their Grans in their swimming pool, not only having good social contact but learning to swim and dive etc. Oh well, I guess it might get better again in a couple of weeks.

On a positive note, our Band was able to have a rehearsal last night, and that went well, and we have the Studio booked for next Thursday, so looking forward to that.

For reasons of rain, no walk this morning, so off to the bathroom now to strut my stuff in front of the mirror.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the town by the water on the old mine site, north of Castleford. We arrived yesterday afternoon after a journey that was damp in France but dry in the UK. They had even fixed the potholes in the channel.   Lotsof idiot drivers about, mainly in German makes of cars.  

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Spent most of the day on Sydney’s last walk before we take him home tomorrow. Went too far and ankles are now complaining. Not the best of days but at least we didn’t get wet. Hopefully when Sydney goes home I’ll be able to catch up with some work.

Yorkshire Water still suppling Yorkshire Tea free of charge. Pity I prefer coffee.

goodnight,

Robert

That water looks familiar, I suspect that like Morley the water in Barnsley comes off peat laden moors. The pipes are well coated with peat and a y major disturbance produces brown water. Even the fire brigade drawing water gives that effect.

A yway we were warmly welcomed  here by the girls especially  little Emily who can now manage Grandpa rather than Papa.  We now awsit details of how the end of quarantine will effect us. The devil is in the detail.  Meanwhile, various DIYjobs are being looked at.

Regards to all from the prisoner of Zenda.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2