The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear finds that such activities are best carried out when you manage to do it without stickin' the locking wire under your thumb nail :scared:

Hmmm......at a guess I'd say that Puppers might just have an Aerospace grade pair of wirelocking pliers.....:wink_mini:

Yes, they were given me to an old Trials guy I once knew.     He muttered something about wooden spoons and lemon squeezers being of more use to him now than locking pliers.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Are those piccies at Shuttleworth a typical Sunday morning?  Or a special meet?  How have they nobbled the brekkies?

It was just a typical Sunday morning gathering of multiple groups of bikers who turn up, stuff their faces with a full English in the cafe, hang about for a bit and then disappear.    

It's all gone to Rats now as, due to new entrance arrangements and policies, unless you are a Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society member (which I am) it costs you £15 to get in the gate.   Makes breakfast kind of expensive!        So tomorrow, subject to weather of course, my mates (who are not SVAS members) and I will be going to Jordan's Mill (where the cereals come from) about 3 miles away on our bikes for breakfast.    

Great shame really .......

Edited by PupCam
Typos
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Phil.

Hope you have a good time at Tinkers Park, I've been there a couple of times, its a fantastic place, plenty of things to do and see.

Last visit was as a passenger on the East Kent Sealink AEC Regent owned by one for my friends:

TinkersPark-06.jpg.4401ec4f65b4c71598747a7d305d85e2.jpg

There are loads of other things to see including some steam rollers which were offering rides:

TinkersPark-25.jpg.ef21e37e523c6543a76711b5066694ca.jpg

and. of course, some things that we are not supposed to talk about here:

TinkersPark-24.jpg.fd26880872559d5b94827baedb8c3b85.jpg

Tinkers Park is located way out in the boondocks and from what I remember was not well signposted, first time I went over there when I was driving I went past the place but once I found it, it was well worth it,

Keith

Thanks Keith, it also includes a bus rally tomorrow, sadly I will not be able to take any pics as I have had some problems setting up my new smart phone.

• Friendly/supportive 9

The night of Diana's crash i had a phone call from my Brother he was on guard duty at Keogh Barracks Ash Vale at that time Dodi Fayed was dead she was described as critically injured. 

9/11 I was at work I got a text from my mates wife to say a plane had hit the WTC I waited 5 mins texted back asking for the punch line then I went on the BBC newswebsite

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Diana died the day before the UK Defence Exhibition. No UK bigwigs arrived  for the show so everything went into slow motion after that.

9/11 I was in a hotel by the Forth Rail bridge with a load of Americans. It was sad but I suggested that they know knew how we felt when the IRA had been blowing people up...

Long day at the office . Blooming rain..  then Duckworth Lewis Stern intervened. A result was obtained ..at 8:20 and then...it chuckeditdarn.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Hello, I'm back, and posting late on Saturday night instead of early Sunday morning.  I am afraid that I need some advice from the computerate amongst us.  When I tried to log in on my return from holiday I was prompted for passwords, which of course I relied on the laptop to remember for me.  Having changed them, I now find that I cannot retrieve any of my own documents or photographs.   I have no idea what to do next except go out and buy another laptop and hope against hope that someone in the shop is clever enough to retrieve everything that is, or was, on my hard drive.

By the way, I had a good holiday ...

Chris

Chris, If you use Google Chrome to recover your passwords (assuming you saved them). Click on the three dots at the right hand end of the top bar. Go down to and click on 'Settings' then click on passwords. They show as a row of stars thus ******* but there is a view option.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still got a few things to get ready for tomorrows day out.  At least I've got the route planned out, I 'drove' it a couple of days ago on Google Earth so it should be OK. The only other unpredictables are the weather and the traffic. I expect delays coming back at the Dartford river crossing as usual but thats on the way back.

Done that a few times myself.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chrisf said:

...snip... By the way, I had a good holiday ...

Chris

Great! I am glad to hear that.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Chris, If you use Google Chrome to recover your passwords (assuming you saved them). Click on the three dots at the right hand end of the top bar. Go down to and click on 'Settings' then click on passwords. They show as a row of stars thus ******* but there is a view option.

Interesting. I use Firefox and F/F has a similar feature.

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

Hello, I'm back, and posting late on Saturday night instead of early Sunday morning.  I am afraid that I need some advice from the computerate amongst us.  When I tried to log in on my return from holiday I was prompted for passwords, which of course I relied on the laptop to remember for me.  Having changed them, I now find that I cannot retrieve any of my own documents or photographs.   I have no idea what to do next except go out and buy another laptop and hope against hope that someone in the shop is clever enough to retrieve everything that is, or was, on my hard drive.

Chris

If PhilJ W's method does not work, maybe the place where you are going to buy a new one can resurrect your old one.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

and then in IIRC 1967, listening to reports of the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia to depose Dubcek.  It's funny how such things stick with you.

Jamie

On that day in 1967 (I was 10 or 11) I went to the public library. My mum asked me to take hers back, and get her something on Czechoslovakia. She was mortified when she later heard the news (and no, we didn't go abroad in those days).

ĸen

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

laid in bed listening to some music, the Toy Dolls, the Clash, the Pogues and Joy Division. Feel much better now

Jeez ya must have had a real attack of the sads if listening to Joy Division cheered you up!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As anticipated, there was "measurable" rain at Portland International Airport yesterday - 0.03" (<1mm). At an airstrip closer to me the amount was 0.00".  So "officially" our 51 days of consecutive days without measurable rain has ended, but not really.

Today was overcast and muggy and less hot than last week. I observed no precipitation. At around 28°C it didn't feel very cool and while I tried to get the morning air into the house, eventually I succumbed and turned on the air conditioning again by the middle of the day.

Later in the week triple digits (°F) / 38°C is still forecast. Even though the drip irrigation is on I will need to hand water the garden again before the hot weather returns, and mow (and weed) the grassy verge fronting the street.

I had an enjoyable call with my brother. He filled me in on the latest tribulations my niece and nephew are experiencing. Queensland is under lock-down again with 13 new CoViD-19 cases in the last 24 hours. The seven-day average of daily new cases here in Oregon (smaller population than Queensland) is over 1,000 - more than our "fourth wave" in the Spring (and that is with 56% of the population vaccinated).

Queen Anne's Lace seems to have occupied the niche formerly dominated by dandelions. I have spotted what looks like a large growth of hemlock (similar in appearance to Queen Anne's Lace) in the park on my daily walk. It is in an area intentionally planted, but I would be surprised if they deliberately planted hemlock in the park.

• Like 18