Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not done much this afternoon and for that you can blame BBC2 for putting 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' on. You can see the actual moment in the film where the locomotive (Lion) was actually damaged, it still carries the damage 68 years later.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Cricket has been watched. It got very dark and cold towards the close of play.

Chish and fips for tea..  now time to......watch T20 cricket and drink my mutgatea.

The game today showed how even for an international umpire (Richard Kettleborough) a miss fielded  ball can hit the umpire.. it did...  he ended up in a very undignified heap on the gloor.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Good Evening Awl, for it marks the start of 16 work-free days!

I note:

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Just goes to show what an arrogant and self centred species H0mo sapiens is. We’ve only been around for a very short while in Earth’s long history and because we have opposable thumbs, stereo vision, can use tools and have mastered fire we think we are the Lords of Creation.

Who is to say that we were THE first technological society to inhabit this planet. 500 million years on a geologically active rock like our planet Earth would certainly eliminate all traces of a technological society.

I wonder if, in another 500 million years, the descendants of man or alien species were to come across our planet whether or not they would find any trace of our society.

”Deep Time” is pretty scary and awesome to contemplate…

To heck with opposable thumbs! Flies have compound vision. Chimps and otters, to name but two, regularly use tools to assist feeding (and I don't mean knives and forks!). Nature itself is the best controller of fire with natural forest fires not only clearing unwanted growth but also stimulating some species of flora, fauna and 'livestock' into regeneration.

Mankind has not created anything in this sense, mere abused and disrespected it.

As an Engineer, I have oft observed that we are on a technologically decreasing spiral.

IMHO, I am glad that I have not introduced offspring into this mess for I would fear for their future.

Technology and other developments are already leaving us in danger of "I ordered this tomorrow, why hasn't arrived yet?"

Has anyone seen the Great Oozlum Bird recently?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I've just realised that the forum software removed a whole word from my post. One thar relates to breeding between close relatives.

Jamie

There seem to be two net censor systems running.  One replaces the word with ###### and the other just removes the word. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

My main pc (Windows ) has been irritating me for about a week now. The on screen mouse pointer has a constant egg timer symbol next to it. Not just when time consuming processes happen but all the time. I eventually found a solution online. The chap whose solution it was didn’t know why it worked but it did which was nice. It was a variation on turn it off and back on again but with startup applications. 
I sent a decoder back today. It didn’t work, the seller told me it( new not a used product)  was checked before dispatch so should have been ok. We will see what happens. 
I applied some stainy chemical stuff to my previous days woodwork. It should be ok now. I watched some cricket while tidying the lounge. We had fish and chips for dinner.  I didn’t really like the fish but apparently it is good for me. I liked the chips though. 
When I went to the postbox to return the dodgy decoder I met a new dog owned by some near neighbours. I was greeted in a very enthusiastic manner. It was a three month old cockerpoo. Apparently wants to make everyone his best friend. The only “poo” characteristic seemed to be the size (quite small) and coat (curly, non-shedding). 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Computers often irritate me I just don't seem to get them to do what they meant to do I have to consult my IT consultant aka Lucas my 11 year old 

Kieran my 17 year old can also get computers and phones to do wonders. He has downloaded a VPN so he can watch his beloved Man UTD i dont know if the commentry is in English though

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Puzzled. Car on a motorway services with the registration MAN 7111, thought that only Ulster plates have 3 letters and 4 numbers

It could be a cherished plate.  You can get quite a lot of variation on the standard theme in return for a large number of modelling vouchers.  Though not quite as many as was once possible.  There used to be two motorcycles parked near to a childhood home.  Registered HES 1 and RU 12

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

There seem to be two net censor systems running.  One replaces the word with ###### and the other just removes the word. 

There are three.  The third involves the use of an awl :jester:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Someone has recently posted on another site pics taken at the garden railway we visited last week. Amongst them is one of yours truly looking like the original grumpy old git. I'd like to post it here but its too many megabytes.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It could be a cherished plate.  You can get quite a lot of variation on the standard theme in return for a large number of modelling vouchers.  Though not quite as many as was once possible.  There used to be two motorcycles parked near to a childhood home.  Registered HES 1 and RU 12

Bear saw V12 AMT yesterday, on an Aston Martin.  Not quite V12 AML (Aston Martin Lagonda); there isn't a model name beginning with T, but I daresay the plate cost a few quid anyway.

Rolls Royce own the registration "RR1" - it's on the M.D's car IIRC.  Some years ago they sold the car as a new model was available - and came very close to forgetting to retain the registration....

Now I've no idea what that plate is worth - but it'd certainly be in the 100's of £K and I wouldn't be surprised to see numbers with six naughts on either.

Me?  LDC 1 was a bit pricey - as was SCR 1 (and Bear 1) - so instead I swapped the "ordinary" plate off my old Rover 214Si (goodbye, Ricky the Rover........:cry:) and it went on Mickey the MG instead.  Close enough.

Jeez, it's half eleven - must go, otherwise I'll turn into a Hippo....:scared:

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Essex County Council once held the registration F 1 used for the county sheriffs official limousine. A few years ago they decided to sell it and they got a few thousand pounds. A very few years later the purchaser sold it for a million.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

I've seen a few funny private plates over the years Jimmy Tarbucks COM 1C was one, but the best was an E type Jag in Bridport with FU 2 owned by a "lady" who wrote mucky stories in a lads mag.........or at least that is what I was told...........not that I read them of course............................(is my nose growing like Pinocchio's?)

• Funny 15

Evening all

Today was a good day because I slipped the surly bonds of earth a few times  (though not for as long as I'd planned) Unfortunately I was brought back to earth by the need to not return home via the M25, which was in total chaos this afternoon following a couple of breakdowns on the usual difficult bit between the M3 and M40 -  and find a route through the back roads of SW London 

The lack of HGV drivers is starting to bite: the airfield had run out of fuel because of no driver for the tanker and no idea when it will show up. I was able to get some at Thruxton - where they were practising very noisily for the weekend's motor racing- but by the time I'd done that it was getting a bit late for my planned trip to the IofW but it wasn't exactly beach weather today. I find myself wondering if filling stations will start to have problems getting deliveries soon.

On the way back from Thruxton I flew over the five mile queues in each direction on the A303 caused by thousands of people trying to get to "CarFest 21" via a B road. This three day event  promises "family fun, with the best music, the fastest and loudest cars, and the brightest stars!"  I can think of things I'd rather spend £85 for the day on, almost anything in fact,   but each to their own and it does apparently support a number of children's charities.  From a couple of miles away the site looked vast.    

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Not the often-heard and apparently Americanised “trill-obites” rhyming with “will”. 

In more than 35 years in the US, I've never heard the pronunciation "trill-obites". Always "try-lobites".

In the technical world there are of course differences in words like data: datta / darta / dayta

And with some Greek letters like beta: beeta / bayta

Delphi is a curious one where in British English is usually pronounced as Del-fee, but the letter Phi is pronounced as fie. It is delf-eye in American English.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1