RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Based on the weather forecast I watered quite a few of the garden plants yesterday evening. Guess what I saw when I got up earlier? Yup, it was raining.

I also cleaned my car yesterday so I guess it was my own fault really.

And today I'm due to clean Jill's car. We'll probably have a tropical storm tonight.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Good Morning Awl, for with an Engineering train passing though later, it may well be!

I note:

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s a very good point, Dave. I certainly agree that much modern technology comes with minimal instructions - presumably because, at least according to those designing the systems, such OS are supposed to be “intuitive“. But you could argue that it’s only “intuitive” if you have been playing around with that technology for a considerable amount of time.

The other part of your comment, regarding the technology itself, does pose the question is the technology used in smart phones really well designed?

I think you can very strongly argue that the technology of the hardware is well designed, but the software for operating that hardware may not necessarily be so.

The technology, per se, is not usually the stumbling block. It is usually the end-user's perception of what it can do which is the problem!

• Like 12

Greetings all from a Sidcup which is grey and gloomy to match my mood; last day off before Christmas and a feeling that summer is over before it even started.

but on the plus side, the bummer having suspended their strike collected some biins today

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

6 hours sleep and a little dozing after..

Left knee is now OK, but I seem to have slept awkwardly and have a very stiff neck, luckily it's only painful to look away from the equipment I'm working on..

I see they've now cancelled the Spalding show.. So that now means no shows for me to go to this year..

The other problem with the Edinburgh routes is speed cameras, there are a lot more, it's so easy to creep over the limit.. Especially if you go cross country on the A68 and or the A697, every straight bit of "A" road in Scotland seems to have a camera.  As much as I prefer driving the cross country route more, I tend to use the A66 / M6 / M74 etc.

DCV now done on this weeks system, just setting up for DCI..

Time to get on with it..

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land. While I was getting breakfast it was a bit noisy outside. When I looked out they were replacing the head of the street lamp opposite my bedroom window. The new head is a LED one and I noticed that it points down at a sharper angle than the old one. I'm not very often bothered by the light shining into the bedroom since I fitted thicker curtains. I'll check it tonight to see if it shines in the right places.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Gets an Android phone when she turned 70. 

MiL was 90 when we got her a smartphone. She isn’t too bad at all really but it would help if the WhatsApp icon and the mobile call icon were not so similar. There have been a few accidentally expensive international calls. We have account limits set up so it hasn’t reoccurred. She has used voice to text to avoid typing. She has appointed Aditi as her online support, this was after Aditi instructed her Mum via landline how to send a WhatsApp video call. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Each new version of IOS makes the assumption that the user is already au fait with the previous versions and will adapt quickly to the changes.

That’s is true of quite a few MacOS versions too but suddenly being required to use Terminal to do something still makes me smile. It would have been convenient recently for me to use a Mac I had for model railway use. It was such a pain trying to get it all to work together. I gave up and resurrected a Windows laptop. That just worked. Now I know the electronics stuff is working  I’ll retry perhaps with the Mac just for educational (of self) reasons or perhaps I won’t bother. I’ll use the pc to run as a server and use an iPad to drive the trains. That seems a good compromise and it works.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That’s is true of quite a few MacOS versions too but suddenly being required to use Terminal to do something still makes me smile. It would have been convenient recently for me to use a Mac I had for model railway use. It was such a pain trying to get it all to work together. I gave up and resurrected a Windows laptop. That just worked. Now I know the electronics stuff is working  I’ll retry perhaps with the Mac just for educational (of self) reasons or perhaps I won’t bother. I’ll use the pc to run as a server and use an iPad to drive the trains. That seems a good compromise and it works.

We are starting to stray into awl enforcement territory. I use similar. Old rescued windows laptop running JMRI + wiServer plugged into an equally old router. I can then use either a phone or a just as ancient iPad to drive the trains / operate the turnouts via a touch mimic diagram. No steeenking control panels for me. At the same time the command station is a Digikeijs DR5000. That has its own router and Z21 protocol. That means I can run the Z21 app on a.n.other phone as well as use a Roco WiMaus. Personal preference is to use the WiThrottle app with JMRI as I find the Z21 app is a pain in the arse to use in comparison. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

We are starting to stray into awl enforcement territory

We can pretend we are discussing controlling our IoT devices (but we secretly know the T is for “trains” not “things”). 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

plugged into an equally old router.

I did use an old router years ago, probably about the time you and I used to meet out in darkest Frating but at the moment I am using the household router. The WiFi from our BT router works well in the garage as. The BT smart hub in the entrance hall is right next to the garage wall. I have just run an Ethernet cable through the wall but haven’t used it for the garage PCs yet. Changing to a dedicated router may happen but as I am never likely to take my layout anywhere it doesn’t matter too much.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I did use an old router years ago, probably about the time you and I used to meet out in darkest Frating but at the moment I am using the household router. The WiFi from our BT router works well in the garage as. The BT smart hub in the entrance hall is right next to the garage wall. I have just run an Ethernet cable through the wall but haven’t used it for the garage PCs yet. Changing to a dedicated router may happen but as I am never likely to take my layout anywhere it doesn’t matter too much.

My setup is a bit overkill but needs to be for work. There is the "home" internet connected network which are 3 AI mesh routers plus a dedicated Sonos Boost which is technically its own router/sub-network. The home router in the shed is cabled to the one in the kitchen. That network reaches about half the alleyway and as far as the bus stop over the road. Then there is the router in the Digikeijs unit just for Z21 or Roco Maus devices. I also have a dedicated JMRI router for "trains" in the shed. Plus I have a spare for doing Freemo meets, and finally one that is dedicated to just running the mimic panel on Millarville when it is on the road. The latter means I can provide the DCC and wireless control at the meet but keep the minions from playing with the points on my module apart from the mounted iPad soft "control panel". 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I wish all the Churches would agree on a set date for Easter

But it is set.  

Easter (other than in the Orthodox tradition) falls on the Sunday following the first full moon after the Spring (Southern Hemisphere Autumn) Equinox.  So all one needs is a solar almanac and the rest falls into place ;)  

Afternoon all.  Greetings from Eeyore's Gloomy Place.  The sky is grey when it can be seen through the drizzle.  The breeze is cool.  The last day of August bears much more resemblance to a typical late October day.  And the computer doesn't wish to work.  It has taken several re-starts and still it is occasionally chucking wobblies or hanging in a manner only sloths normally do.  

But hey - I'm upright, breathing and getting paid so it's not all bad.  And there are only twelve more hours of paid employment until the weekend :D  

What's next?  Muggertee, surely. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1