The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Supply chain issues seem to be not limited to petrol in the UK.

Major delivery companies are struggling in the US. I had a package that took five days for status to change from "In transit" to "Arrived" at the same warehouse near the airport. (This was a surface package and these sort of delays just "don't" usually happen with this company.) A local news story reported that staffing levels for that transshipment point are at 65% of normal.

National news has been covering stories of dozens* of container ships at anchor outside the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, (combined, the largest US west coast port, and a major trans-Pacific hub).

* Apparently the numbers are (for all ships):

• 60 total docked
  • 64 total at anchor off shore
  • 29 total "adrift" (the term used in this story though I assume they have steerage way)

Container vessels:

• 30 docked
  • 44 at anchor off shore
  • 25 "adrift"

Usually there is not more than 1 at anchor.

News "Consumer" stories are suggesting that people should start their Christmas shopping now - if they want to guarantee high demand items.

Pandemic impacts on staffing for low wage jobs (including shipping/warehousing in addition to hospitality/food service) continue. Numerically, the loss of almost 700,000 lives does not account for this, but it cannot have helped.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

Nothing much to report from here been a slow day really just keeping an eye on her ladyship she is now asleep thankfully. I have been instructed by the hospital to try and video one of her episodes to aid in diagnosis which I don't mind doing but my first priority is keeping her safe.

Has anyone heard anything from @New Haven Neil or @iL Dottore I saw @Barry O had posted the other day 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Ah, well done.    I never did get round to getting a PPL unfortunately and my gliding was terminated many years ago when Mrs Puppers came on the scene (I couldn't afford both at the time and probably still can't).   Must admit I really would like a PPL and a Chilton DW1A in which to use it.   What a beautiful little aeroplane!

Well it certainly is a tailored fit for Puppers.....:laugh:

image.png.dbd8521cb5fcf09bedfd8a32ca4f820a.png

Not so sure I'd go for it as "beautiful" though.  Now this one does fit Bear's requirements......

image.png.22389617d4bc3f4cbcfed466e835bd69.png

Not so sure that Bear's pension stretches to one of those, however....:sad_mini:

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Nothing I would call a hobby. Going for walks, looking for ghosts, fermenting (tea and dairy products). He is worried about stopping work as he is concerned about having nothing to do.

So he's not into model railways - but goes ghost hunting.....:laugh:

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

22 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Nothing much to report from here been a slow day really just keeping an eye on her ladyship she is now asleep thankfully. I have been instructed by the hospital to try and video one of her episodes to aid in diagnosis which I don't mind doing but my first priority is keeping her safe.

Has anyone heard anything from @New Haven Neil or @iL Dottore I saw @Barry O had posted the other day 

I believe you understate @Barry O who used to fulfil this mantle!

I wonder if there is a general underlying reason for their absence?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

9 minutes ago, polybear said:

So he's not into model railways - but goes ghost hunting.....:laugh:

He ought to go to the house that backs on to swmbos uncle's 30 East Drive allegedly home to a poltergeist and has been on tv several times and there are numerous you tube videos but of those that I have seen i haven't seen any that really convince me that there are such things. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

NHN is ok, and iD rated a post earlier (or was it yesterday?) - though he does seem to have gone into stealth mode.  CC must be on a particularly dastardly mission......keep your cake well guarded.....

Incidentally, Bear's "multiquote" is still busted :angry: - hence the multiple postings whenever quoting other posts.....

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Supply chain issues seem to be not limited to petrol in the UK.

Indeed not but the effect varies.

We regularly order lateral flow tests from the NHS website.  They have consistently arrived the working day after ordering (so Tuesday if ordered Sunday or Monday) with an email from NHS saying that the order should have arrived and to track it if not.  There is also a Royal eMail confirming the order is due for delivery.  

I ordered on Friday and expected the box would arrive on Monday; it didn't but  I put that down to the weekend effect.  It didn't arrive on Tuesday either but the follow-up email did.  No sign again today but I did get the Royal Mail's regular email advising that "Your Covid-19 testing kit is due to be delivered tomorrow".  So ordered Friday and potentially delivered Thursday.  A week.  

By contrast I know an item ordered from our friends in Camborne by a friend in Australia was despatched, travelled and arrived just four days later, weekend included, very recently.  

I can't test for this pestilence using model trains so it's a good thing we keep 2 - 3 weeks supply of lateral flow tests on hand ;)  

And on that note I wish you all a good night.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

NHN is ok, and iD rated a post earlier (or was it yesterday?) - though he does seem to have gone into stealth mode.  CC must be on a particularly dastardly mission......keep your cake well guarded.....

Incidentally, Bear's "multiquote" is still busted :angry: - hence the multiple postings whenever quoting other posts.....

So how is multiquote supposed to work?

Is it not just allowing responders to reply to posts from several other posters or are you expecting it to allow several responses to a post from one member?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

He ought to go to the house that backs on to swmbos uncle's 30 East Drive allegedly home to a poltergeist and has been on tv several times and there are numerous you tube videos but of those that I have seen i haven't seen any that really convince me that there are such things. 

Whilst Momma Bear never said anything at the time, she once had a dream about the inside of a house - right down to a painting on the wall.  Shortly afterwards (next day?) she went for an interview about a job packing eggs at a local farm in the village - the farmhouse was the one in her dream, right down to the painting on the wall.....:scared:

(Momma Bear was as level-headed as they come, and had never been near the place before that day)

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We regularly order lateral flow tests from the NHS website.

But is not the lateral flow test not totally reliable?

It's too easy to fake!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

So how is multiquote supposed to work?

Is it not just allowing responders to reply to posts from several other posters or are you expecting it to allow several responses to a post from one member?

Normally I can select "multiquote" for several different posters (the first three on this page, for example) and get three "ticks" in place of the "+" signs.  However, I only get "Quote 1 post"  on the right - and when selected it does nothing.

The individual "Quote" function works just fine though - but is only good for quoting one previous post at a time.  Hopefully that all makes sense....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hey, rmweb is back!  Thanks, boss. I was getting worried late Wednesday when I couldn't rate posts, except to like them, and then lost the ability to reply or post. I assumed it was personal because for a few hours some people were still able to post.

Computers are fun, aren't they! (Well, I already knew that, having my own fun this week with computer-related tasks).

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Greetings!  It has been strange not having RMweb and ERs.  I hope that both have made a full recovery!

The Volkswagen dealership phoned on Wednesday afternoon.  They are looking for good second-hand cars to sell and such is the current state of the market that they need all they can get.  I can see why they might want mine.  I have had it for just over two years and it has less than 8,000 miles on the clock.  Were it not for that ruddy virus it would be nearer 20,000.  If I part with my present Polo I will need another.  The deal would have to be remarkable, such as giving me a brand new car and paying off the finance on the one I have.  Somehow I do not see that happening!  I have agreed to meet the sales executive on Monday morning.  Watch this space.

My surgery does not appear to believe that Professor Oncologist prescribed some steroids for me.  I know this because he asked me to arrange a continuing supply and they have refused - so far.  Well, why would they?  I am only the patient.  They have not heard the last of this.

Best wishes to all

Chris   

• Friendly/supportive 19

And we’re back in the room!

it’s a wet Sidcup-I got drenched taking Younger Lurker to school earlier although the rain has now ceased.

well all the company tax returns went in on time despite a last minute software hitch and despite me finally getting the person who works for me to check a test, at which we point we had to extensively revise 20 returns!

Mrs Lurker assumed I had gone for a beer; chance’d be a fine thing!

• Like 15

Well I only said G'night all and it seemed to go down hill from there lol. We nipped into Montrose to the butchers and the library, passed a Shell garage with fuel to sell and an empty forecourt, I didn't need any as I still have 3/4 of a tank. Coal man brought some coal though as we were low on that, stay safe all.

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/09/2021 at 21:59, JohnDMJ said:

But is not the lateral flow test not totally reliable?

It's too easy to fake!

I don't know about easy to fake.  It is apparently 80-90% reliable and that's good enough for me.  I don't know of a 100%-accurate test.  Even the PCR tests are "only" around 90%+ .  The vaccinations are "only" around 88-95% effective.  PCR tests are also free from the NHS website if you display symptoms but you only get one not seven in a pack.  Any test offering above 80% reliability is very much better than not testing at all.  Any vaccination offering me 88-95% chance of protection against serious or fatal illness is also fine by me and having almost a side-benefit of that same vaccine very significantly reducing the chances of becoming infected is a bonus worth having in my book.  

In other news ...... oh look - we're back :D  

Many thanks to @AY Mod and the team for the time and effort spect in returning service.  No little midnight oil was spent, I'm sure, judging by the timing of some of the antisocial media updates.  It appears the servers were full.  

A thorough drenching was avoided this morning by dint of being rostered to a covered position at the House of Fun.  A few colleagues were less lucky and copped the full brunt of the morning's torrential downpours.  It remained quite dark until well after 9am such was the cloud and low visibility generally.  I begin to feel like the white clown at the circus - every time the skies open I am in a sheltered position.  I very seldom get soaked in the line of duty while others seem to do so rather too frequently for their liking.  

Flu jabs had by both Dr. SWMBO and myself so in a few more days we should be as well protected from winter ravages as we reasonably can be.  It must be almost C*******s because Ocado has just invited me to book my festive week delivery.  Those slots are like rocking-horse poop unless one is already a Smart Pass member (i.e. paying them a monthly fee for "free" deliveries and priority slot bookings) and I was pleased to get one for Wednesday 22nd.  Thursday and Friday are already booked out having only had the slots released an hour ago.  

It's time to do something.  I'm not sure what but there must be something awaiting my attention.  If I discover what it is I may report back later.  Meanwhile here's another contribution to the server's load :jester: 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We've got a slot, Clear Prop!

We'll folks it's good to be back.   Thanks to Andy (and anyone else involved) in resolving the problem.

Daily life continues; 

Blood tests at the hospital yesterday  in readiness for a consultation next week.    Why go to the GP's surgery just a couple of miles down the road for blood tests when you can drive ~30 miles to the local hospital?   Oh, I remember now; because that would involve actually being able to get into the GP's surgery .....    

Vapour in car petrol tank finally replaced with liquid yesterday on the way to the hospital.   Not a huge queue (I was off the road when I joined it) and it all seemed relatively civilised.

As I was in St Evenage I took the opportunity to visit the big orange shed for some skirting board and architrave for the hall refurb.    Got to get a wriggle on as the we had a visit from a chap to measure up and provide a quote for flooring.

More fiddling with software, such fun and no Gold carp to contend with  as there would have been doing a "proper" job :).  

Desperately trying to support a good friend and convince him that there's a much better life waiting after "Working for a living".   We're getting there but not quite there yet.

Keep smiling everyone and thanks once again to Andy for fixing RMWeb.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
Added a missing word
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I have returned from an “overseas” trip. Not really, just over the bridge to Canvey Island for a blood test. We returned via the recycling centre.  The trips to the loft have been completed but the task of now sorting stuff out begins. Obvious recycling and rubbish have gone but now the “do we really want this?” sorting begins. Once the loft has been inspected by the solar panel surveyor next week , we will add more insulation as it isn’t really up to recent standards and add some proper shelving. Anything going back will be in proper boxes not old cardboard boxes and bin bags. I have ordered some 64L Really Useful Boxes (yes, they do fit through the loft hole). They are being delivered by “other courier”. I will be interested to see how they arrive as 320L is quite a big parcel. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Errors
  • Like 14
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Where am I? I'm Lost.!! Where is this...?

Oh we're back.. Yesterday at stupid o'clock in the morning, I tried to emoji some posts  and couldn't, then it all disappeared..

All four petrol stations between here and home now have fuel and queue lengths between none and very long..

The coal company are trying to sell more coal... sorry we bought tons of it off of you six months ago we don't need more for a couple of years..

But I will be winding up the stove for the first time this end of the year, as the heating turned itself on yesterday..

The New boy is here, he's spent most of the day doing arrivals paperwork, having had a chat in here with me and the boss, he's now at his desk wading through the company calibration manual.. Calibration staff all get a copy when you join.. it's a hefty lump and will set you back about £50 if you can buy one somewhere.

Going home via the big Tes and Co for some major shopping (time limited double points card) home the petrol queues don't trap me in there..

Bin cal'ing shunts all day, time for 2 more before pots time..

Time to ... type in more numbers..

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And we're back in the room. 

Good afternoon everyone 

Thanks to AY and the team for getting the site back up and running. 

Apart from the constant rain over the last few days, not a lot has happened. Rain over the last few days has prevented any outside activities. Although I did manage to get the patio, path to the cellar and cellar steps cleaned on Wednesday. I was just about to re-site the pressure washer to do the back end of the garden, when the rain came down. So I sheltered in the workshop until dinner. 

After dinner I continued to work on the engine shed, starting the 2nd gable end wall, which I finished yesterday. 

Back later. 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 2