RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Thank you to Andy and staff; yesterday was a "bad" one; I did not know how addicted I am to RMweb!!!!

Wednesday night I logged on to issue my nightly dispatch of the "Night Owl" but no keystrokes were being accepted although I could select different forums.  Oh well, tomorrow. BAH! to quote someone ;)! "Tomorrow" was even worse, a screen showing some fancy graphics stating that my computer was working, the "cloud" was working, but the server was not responding. My initial thought was: "Now what have I done?" to be blocked! Somewhat later when I tried to log on, the ER screen showed up but this time with a red banner of explanation. Whew! All this bothered me as I had just that day (Wednesday) done a deep computer cleaning with a software product from Avast!; it worked fine but bothered a few of my sites that I visit by removing their cookies and I thought that was the problem here. Anyway, I did not realize just how much a simple thing like talking/reading various posts from folks around the world can mean to me someone; this place is sort of like a loose-knit family; it must be, I was talked into buying a green pannier! GWR, no less!

EDIT: I just remembered another reason I thought that something might be wrong; no photos were showing at all. I just now saw Bear's black chopper and thought "Hmmm, that just might work!" for cake raiding.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

43 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Afternoon all.

I have returned from an “overseas” trip. Not really, just over the bridge to Canvey Island for a blood test. We returned via the recycling centre.  The trips to the loft have been completed but the task of now sorting stuff out begins. Obvious recycling and rubbish have gone but now the “do we really want this?” sorting begins. Once the loft has been inspected by the solar panel surveyor next week , we will add more insulation as it isn’t really up to recent standards and add some proper shelving. Anything going back will be in proper boxes not old cardboard boxes and bin bags. I have ordered some 64L Really Useful Boxes (yes, they do fit through the loft hole). They are being delivered by “other courier”. I will be interested to see how they arrive as 320L is quite a big parcel. 
Tony

From where I am sat now waiting to pick youngest up from school I can see the roof of Really Useful Boxes and will pass the factory on the way home. I do think the boxes nest into each other so you will probably recieve a stack of them in a box. 

I recently purchased a couple of 50cm planters on line they stacked into each other but the box was massive it took a load of cutting to get in the recycle bin

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Glad to be back, most of the withdrawal symptoms have subsided and the DT's have stopped:fie::jester:. I tuned into the RMweb server status page on Farcebook for updates and I recommend others do the same. Not a lot else happening, I went to Tess Coes this morning, a bit of a queue but not as bad as it has been recently. I did consider joining but a quick glimpse of the fuel gauge  showed it just below three quarters full so I drove past. Time to make a pot of tea, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2020 at 23:46, Erichill16 said:

While she was doing that I completed this year’s CPD and submitted it to allow be to work for another 12 months.  I was really hoping to retire from the register this year but this years  CPD  requirement has meant re-validation for another year was a

no-brainer.  Remaining on the list will be useful as I think the corona virus has still got a long to go and I may still be needed.  Please remind me next year not to re-register as I really have had enough.

This is a reminder to a certain Punk Rocker not to re-register his CPD for another year, as requested.....

(This reminder service was brought to you by Bear Services PLC - a premier company that accepts payment via most forms of cake (so long as Coffee, Cream or Nuts are absent)  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

POETS - definitely missed RM yesterday, must have been quite a day for AY and the team getting it back up, thanks :)

Nothing much to report, weekend plans mostly revolve around going to the cabin for a day (Not sure which one yet) to sort some issues before we close it up.

17 and overcast possibility of some rain later, high of 25 

Enjoy the start of the weekend.

• Like 14

<BAH> In other news...

Of course, first of October, about 6 months since I last endured Incompetent Team messing up my VPN access to the "client".

The director of Finance even requested access be extended, pro-actively, over a week ago.

Apparently that doesn't make it any more likely they can manage a simple task!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

@Andy Y..I admit it.. yes I pressed the button which caused the mayhem...many apologies!

Been home alone all week. Herself has been in Scotland on a coach tour. I have been inundated with phone calls and emails as I have been given a senior Regional volunteers role in the ECB ACO (that's umpires and scorers(. My empty diary is no more...

We are preparing to make an exhibition of ourselves at the end of the month with our 70th Anniversary exhibition of things which are miniature versions of things which run on two ribbons of metal.

Rain has drowned me twice today...Pah!

Time for chish, fips Yorkshire caviar and a mug of tea...

Baz

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I don't know about easy to fake.  It is apparently 80-90% reliable and that's good enough for me.  I don't know of a 100%-accurate test.  Even the PCR tests are "only" around 90%+ .  The vaccinations are "only" around 88-95% effective.  PCR tests are also free from the NHS website if you display symptoms but you only get one not seven in a pack.  Any test offering above 80% reliability is very much better than not testing at all.  Any vaccination offering me 88-95% chance of protection against serious or fatal illness is also fine by me and having almost a side-benefit of that same vaccine very significantly reducing the chances of becoming infected is a bonus worth having in my book.

You only need to take the swab from the wrapping and place it directly in the solution as instructed; leave it for the advised time and apply the drops to the tester. At no time has the swab been anywhere the nose!

The flaw in the system which allows this is that a negative result is not distinguished from an equipment test (Control) result; both only show the 'C' line and can thus be achieved by two methods.

Interestingly, there is a third state (other than 'C' and 'T') in which either neither line or only the 'T' line shows; this constitutes a 'void' result.

Now, whilst I agree that the presence of both the 'C' and the 'T' lines prove a positive result, perhaps there is a case for adding a third line and using this, in conjunction with the 'C' line, to confirm a negative result whilst also confirming that the swab has actually been inserted into the nostrils?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Things seem quiet on the RMweb front, not as many posts as I expected after the shutdown. Perhaps some people are unaware that RMweb is back. Tea is brewing so I'll be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Finally got around to mowing the lawn (NOT harvesting the hay this time!) after five or so nice, sunny days. Busy tomorrow at a hamfest and I do not do this kind of work on Sundays; next week the pine cone rollers are predicting rain through the middle of the week so today was IT!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Waiting for gov.uk to update today's figures

We were told today that our six year old niece has tested positive for COVID19. Not surprising as many of her classmates have and so has their teacher. Niece isn’t too poorly fortunately. Her sister, mum and dad (Aditi’s brother) have tested negative. It has affected her parents though as it has restricted who they can see at work. Mum is a GP and she has been seeing patients face to face throughout the pandemic. Dad also is a GP but he being vulnerable himself initially was restricted to seeing patients remotely. He returned to doing face to face appointments ages ago and did loads of extra sessions vaccinating people. Older niece can return to school on Monday (negative result came back too late to go today) but it seems her teacher has tested positive now. Where they live and work is now a COVID hotspot for some reason. As we saw the nieces on Saturday we did lateral flow tests and we were both negative.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 15

On 29/09/2021 at 13:50, polybear said:

Incidentally, Bear's "multiquote" is still busted ...

I cannot speculate why this seems to happen to you - unless it is dependent on your particular browser/platform.

On Wednesday of course many things weren't working properly. The MultiQuote button had disappeared for me too, but at the point I looked in (Wednesday evening GMT), the whole site was in 'read-only' mode, except for "like" (no other post rating options were available). "Quote", "Reply to topic" etc were all non-functional.

The MultiQuote button has returned for me.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

The earth's volcanoes continue to be busy. Besides recent eruptions in Iceland, Mt. Etna, and currently La Palma in the Canaries, the lava lake in the Halema'uma'u crater of Kīlauea's summit began a new eruption at approximately 3:20 p.m. HST on Wednesday September 29, 2021.

The Halema'uma'u lava lake had been quiet since May. Now there is fountaining in the lake and multiple vents on the crater wall. Unlike the Cumbre Vieja  volcano on La Palma, all activity appears to be confined to the crater, rather than fissures on the walls of the volcano.

Kīlauea is probably the most monitored volcano in the world. You can find photographs and videos here.

• Informative/Useful 13

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Halema'uma'u lava lake had been quiet since May. Now there is fountaining in the lake and multiple vents on the crater wall. Unlike the Cumbre Vieja  volcano on La Palma, all activity appears to be confined to the crater, rather than fissures on the walls of the volcano.

It can be quite surreal parking at the visitor centre in Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park, with smoke clouds spouting up behind the line of trees separating the car park from the crater. There’s a lot of trust put in the ‘non-explosive’ nature of Hawaiian eruptions!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl , just back from the MRC.

Where I have been scraping the barrel, well lots of 3d printed barrels to remove the flash..

Coming home 2 of the refilled petrol stations are totally  of fuel , the other two no diesel..

Just finished a book called "land of giants , journeys through the dark ages, by Max Adams an archaeologist. A series of stories of his walking tours, covering dark ages sites with the odd bit of Roman or pre Roman if it was on his route. So one minute he talking of buying a pork pie for lunch, the next one the conversion of some UK king to Christianity.. 

Whilst I knew a lot of the facts in the book, his trips  linked a lot of them together, geographically. 

An interesting book.

I'd love to some of those trips but decrepitude now means they are beyond me..

Muggachoccy then snore time.

Good night Awl..

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

38 minutes ago, pH said:

There’s a lot of trust put in the ‘non-explosive’ nature of Hawaiian eruptions!

The USGS has photographs of tephra from the fountaining falling downwind, but as I understand it, that's currently the opposite side of the crater from the visitor center. Half of the old crater rim drive is closed (on the far side of the visitor center) due to the 2018 eruptions when much of the road collapsed into the crater.

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

RMW's back!! :yahoo:

And Bear's "Multiquote"  seems to work again - or at least it did a couple of minutes ago (just a test - nothing actually posted).

Today's fun involved a washing machine, plus yet more kitchen fun.  The installation of the kitchen units can now be regarded as "finished" now that I have modified and fitted the last of the wall unit plinth pieces; I also spent a fun afternoon applying grout sealant to the wall tiles - oh deep joy.  About 3/4's done, with the final wall area to be done tomorrow.  Then I can fit the hob extractor unit - which is the last "big" milestone.

Yesterday saw the last of the silicone sealant applied :yahoo:

(Bear's Question of the Day:  Why, when Bear has just applied silicone sealant to the longest, most visible area of wall and has just started the tooling of the joint - which has to be carried out pretty sharpish before the sealant "goes off" - does the Doc phone for a consultation?  :banghead:).  Bear had a crash course in multitasking as a result......

Yesterday afternoon & evening saw Bear enrolling & attending the Model Engineering Evening Class; at the moment it looks like the course is totally free :yahoo:- though that could change at some point.  The bad point is that we are currently a couple of members short of ensuring that the course continues - the word is that a minimum of 12 are required.  We're working on that one.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yesterday afternoon & evening saw Bear enrolling & attending the Model Engineering Evening Class; at the moment it looks like the course is totally free :yahoo:- though that could change at some point.  The bad point is that we are currently a couple of members short of ensuring that the course continues - the word is that a minimum of 12 are required.  We're working on that one.....

Tempting but your local is not quite so local for me (by some margin!)

Maybe I will have to consult Google Maps.   Then do a CBA, check the options, pick the low-hanging fruit, run it up the flag pole to SWMBO ....

Stop right there Puppers!  You let a couple of BS phrases from your working days slip in there and it simply isn't good enough - it's gone let it be!

Worth having a look on the map though ...... :)

• Like 7
  • Funny 3