The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, PupCam said:

I vaguely remember Hunt the Wumpus.      Once we'd thrashed the old PETs to death we upgraded to some "serious computers"  like HP9835s before moving onto HP workstations and HPUX.    

We also started to make use of the HP flatbed plotters (HP7225A), programming them in the native HPGL.    There were a number of plotter demo's built in I seem to recall.  One of them drew a very strange chart but it played Jingle Bells while doing it :rofl_mini:

Takes you back doesn't it!

I used HP plotters at an oil company back in the '80's and '90's. Then we " upgraded" to some kind if giant inkjet plotter that used 4 litre containers of ink and was always breaking down. To the point that the guy who used to come and repair it had a regular spot at our Friday section morning tea and was included in our end of year team photo for the  company magazine. 

It cost us over $100K to buy and 4 years later when we got bought out, asset stripped and closed down we had to pay $4000 for a company to come and take it away. Should have spent it on  Sydney real estate instead, we'd have all been laughing 

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One of the labs at University had "Colossal Cave / Adventure" on 8" floppy discs for, if memory serves, some kind of DEC PDP machine. The disc drive housings were removed and you could see the head search (along with the "barp, barp", clunk and groan) to come up with the single line: "You a in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike", the whole process taking several seconds.

A Winchester hard drive for the lab was purchased and the game loaded on the drive - with instant responsiveness! I believe I have a hand-drawn cave map somewhere, rolled up in a tube. "A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'."

I have an NOS 8" floppy drive and controller card; the darn drive is as big as a modern laptop!.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a typing error.
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Farcebook is still doing some weird things since it shut down, such as only letting you scroll down to the bottom of the first post. Not much good when you want to see the posts since you last were on Farcebook.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

... the darn drive is as big as a modern laptop!.

By definition - assuming the laptop is about 9" in one dimension as mine is. The paper packet for the 8" disc was at least 8" square. The drive case would be taller than a laptop.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I had to get a GP appointment to discuss changes to my medication this morning.  Unfortunately Puppers' Patented 'Pointment Procuring Procedure let me down - the landline phone's dial/pick-up button seems to have died due to excessive use over the last 18 months.   Had to resort to dial, engaged, cancel, re-dial on the mobile.   

I note from my phone that it took One Hundred and Twenty Six attempts to get through this morning!    Lucky I'm not ill ...

Jeez....Bear's GP must be "By Royal Appointment" material compared to the shower Puppers' has to endure.  I may well (often) get into multiples of ten's - but no-where near those numbers.  And assuming I call around doors open-ish then I'm usually guaranteed a call back from the Doc as required on the same day.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Remember them well! About 180kB of storage compared to the 360kB of a 5 1/4" floppy!

I can imagine what capacity they would have had if they had survived into the 1.44mb formulation, and mechanicals used on the 3½ floppies.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

By definition - assuming the laptop is about 9" in one dimension as mine is. The paper packet for the 8" disc was at least 8" square. The drive case would be taller than a laptop.

I do remember the graceful roll of  8" floppies as they traversed the office at high speed having been launched boomerang style .....

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Jeez....Bear's GP must be "By Royal Appointment" material compared to the shower Puppers' has to endure.  I may well (often) get into multiples of ten's - but no-where near those numbers.  And assuming I call around doors open-ish then I'm usually guaranteed a call back from the Doc as required on the same day.

To be completely fair, when I did get through and having endured the pre-recorded lecture of excuses for poor service and tellings-off of all those nasty, naughty rude patients I did get the appropriate appointment allocated for "sometime this morning" and the doctor did then actually phone back before 10:00 and did the necessary medication adjustment.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

We got a call at work a few weeks ago from an officer who'd just been posted into a position enquiring about a computer that was in the corner of his new office.

The previous guy didn't know what it was for, nor had the guy he took over from, and so on, so he called the local base IT guys who went and looked at it and suggested since it looked a bit special it must have been part of the system I support. 

One of our guys went over to check it out and came back with one of these

image.png.1133864ed3fe4a0bc1975d94a601b0e5.png

I guess it had been sitting in the corner of that office  since the '80's and part of the handover takeover routine for that job had obviously been "Ï don't have a clue what that is, it was here when I got here".

It still works and we plan to use it to replace the PC of the next  complaining user with it.

I had the Model 4P (portable version of the 4; all buttoned-up, it looked like a sewing machine)running Trs-Dos  that had neat feature; if you loaded the program disc in drive B instead of A, it would check A then go to B and run the program. The other popular at the time DOS (MS?, I no longer remember) would stop and tell you that there was no disc in A and stop.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a typing error.
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, just getting light on a windy but dry rock that manages an air temperature of 15c.

Bike club morning, I guess it will be one of the last group runs out, the oldies don't like the cold.  We are starting with a full Manx breakfast before the ride so will be fortified for our expedition.

That *&^%$£"! video advert thing is really getting on my              errr, nerves, it flips the page down past where I want to start.  It won't work as advertising for me as I ignore the images completely, having gotten bored with x-ing it closed every time.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare..

5 hours sleep ish followed by... not a lot..

Ben the I don't like the dark Collie rapidly went out this morning, after topping up rainfall levels, he came to me for reassurance, a good stoke of the head many times.. Then he went back to the house..

Very very dark out there and very quiet, the mist killing all noise, except for a Deer calling not too far away.

There are still user groups for The QL around the country, many have developed the QL far beyond what Sinclair did using much later proocessors in the 680XX series ..  There is an Enthusiastic following in Denmark, where for some reason it did much better than the UK.. The QL's I have, were later models where they got the microdrive working much better. Sometime I'll dig the QL's out and have a play again.. Did a lot of my degree typing on a QL.. 

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/

https://quanta.org.uk/

Ordered winter driving  gloves, and copper paint for small objects.. it's noticeable that everything  has delivery dates a few days later than a while ago..

Just finishing off this weeks second major system, it went quite well, letting it's 1 G Ohm resistor settle at the moment, then it's just product the correction files and set the cross check running..

Time to  wait some more..

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Well I seem to have fixed the problem regarding the "MultiQuote" function not working for this Bear :yahoo:

The fix?  Use Edge instead of Firefox.  The catch?  I then get obscure videos running on the rhs of the page :angry: - but no adverts.  The fix?  Use "Private Mode" with "Strict" Tracking Prevention automatically enabled.  Haven't discovered the downside on that one yet, but seems to work ok for RMWeb so far...... 

Bear has car washing to do, sorry, start today.  All I can say is that it'll feel real good when it's done....

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Ey Up!

Excellent meal last night with some of the Pensioners from one of my old work places.

The deer were making a lot of noise in the farm around the soon to be old Company HQ.

Memories were shared and further meet ups arranged.

Royal Mail are delivering a parcel this morning so I need to stay in. What's the betting it turns up at the latest possible time?

Off for some breakfast ..but first...a mugatea!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Royal Mail are delivering a parcel this morning so I need to stay in. What's the betting it turns up at the latest possible time?

There is an offshoot to Murphy's law that explains parcel arrivals. Not necessarily the latest possible time but the latest & most inconvenient time that is least expected. 

For example if they say between 11 and 12, it won't arrive at 11:59 but it will arrive at 11:45 if you are on the toilet or just received a phone call. It will arrive at 10:55 if you just had to pop to the shops for milk. If you sit at the door, it will finally arrive at 12:59 the next day. It is an extremely complex formula. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 6

Morning, rather damp and dark up here today, but barely a breath of wind, no plans, so I might just wing it, though SWMBO has to go to the craft shop, so I may see if they have any clear matt varnish for both sealing oil paintings I have done and comes in handy for sealing weathering powders on certain objects with wheels that run on parallel bits of metal, stay safe all.

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Quote of the Day (courtesy of some Russian Guy on the Radio):

"If you have gas, you have power"

All Hail, Hippo....

All those coal reserves we have that are wasted all those power stations demolished in the dash for gas.

Gas should be left for heating homes and businesses not eaten by power stations 

Sorry for the rant but it just seems to me that UK Government whatever party is in power sells itself down the river 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1