The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

53 minutes ago, chrisf said:

…I share Flavio's disappointment at the new Dr Who.  I will persist with it just in case there is an improvement but I am not holding my breath.…

We never learn, do we Chris? In this case the old truism “optimism is the triumph of hope over experience“ has never been truer.

Doctor Who has never been afraid to deal with problematic and contentious issues but until recently has nearly always done so with subtlety, insight and in the context of a rattling good story. Nowadays, alas, Doctor Who seems to have become the playground for a particularly unimaginative and pedantic Social Justice Warrior type who believes that getting their point across involves all the subtlety of a sledge hammer wielding maniac.

What’s more, and particularly problematic, is the moral inconsistency now shown by the Doctor. In one early episode, the doctor prevented a character from shooting a giant spider (a quick and relatively painless death) but was perfectly happy to entomb the giant spider and let it suffocate/starve to death (a particularly slow and unpleasant demise). So in order for the character of the doctor to ram home the message “guns are bad“, a much more morally dubious (and cruel) method of dispatching the monster was used.

And as for the Doctor: one particularly unkind reviewer stated that Jodie Whittaker has only three acting modes: looking gormless, looking gormless with her mouth open and looking gormless while screeching.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry here but breezy with some showers possible.  Very possible according to my phone app which says it will start raining in 108 86 minutes.

Rugby watched and was enjoyed until Quins managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Never mind, it's not the end of the world....yet.

A trip out to West Sussex is planned today and it may will involve a visit to a large model railway shop as The Boss wants to buy birthday and Christmas presents for "somebody"  :rolleyes::whistle:

On that note it's time to take her a cuppa,

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

WHITE RABBITS!

EY UP!!  What happened to October?

Chuckinitdarn and blowing a stiff breeze here.

Today involves a triptoa hotel near Salmesbury.. Waze has already changed the route ..twice..could be interesting.

Our Saturday night PGTE reunion went so well another is planned pre Christmas (PGTE = Precision Gunnery Traing Equipment aka simulator for Challenger Tanks)  All of the old team have done very well in life and are now scatteredall over but do try to work together when they can.

So..Time todrink my mugatea and get ready to cross the Border.

Have as good a day as you can!

Baz

• Like 18

Oh and nearly forgot……..can’t wait until Friday night….there will be loads and loads of this :D 

recon we are defo off of Greta Thunberg’s Christmas card list forever! 

Although if my cardboard circles and duck tape solution to the missing oil filler cap doesn’t work on our Mitsubishi Outlander this could well the be end result.

8C3635EE-4D31-4FDD-B263-0BDF708C0097.jpeg.3a5ff9347eedfc74cc89e2efac57663c.jpeg

Edited by Grizz
More
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Oh and nearly forgot……..can’t wait until Friday night….there will be loads and loads of this :D 

recon we are defo off of Greta Thunberg’s Christmas card list forever! 

8C3635EE-4D31-4FDD-B263-0BDF708C0097.jpeg.3a5ff9347eedfc74cc89e2efac57663c.jpeg

I fear we will soon be in the grip of "Climate Change  Puritans" lighting a match will cause the Wrath of God  Greta to descend. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I fear we will soon be in the grip of "Climate Change  Puritans" lighting a match will cause the Wrath of God  Greta to descend. 

Totally agree. We are in the grip of ever increasing bands of self righteous puritans of every view point. It gives them a feel of empowerment to ban things and to out people they don’t agree with as monsters. 

However with regard to Bonfire and carrying torches, I am able to trace a strand of my family in Sussex back almost a 1000 years. This has been going on in Lewes for a few hundred in one form or another to a greater or lesser degree. We celebrate the right to free speech, the freedom to demonstrate our freedom by processing through our town. If anyone tries to ban it they are likely to end up in court as it this is a fundamental element of my, and others’, cultural heritage. Which is just as valid as anyone else’s, despite what the BBC and others seem to regularly imply. 

If some folks don’t like it,  then they should stay away. We don’t want them here. 

Lewes Bonfire forever! :clapping:

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I think where I lived in Scotland had a lot to do with not seeing anything to do with halloween, the majority God fearing people in the area were "Free Church of Scotland"  exceedingly strict, full blown Puritan types..

Yes the Wee Free's, an interesting denomination. However  their funeral bibles out in the Isles were interesting, made of tin that made up two containers hinged with a circular space up the spine and a tap on the bottom.  The relevant texts were pasted on the inside and a small stack of glasses went up the spine.  You don't need to  ask what went inside the tanks.  My late uncle, who lived on Arran in the 20's had many amusing tales about them.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Finished reading the book last night, at 2 am. Quite enjoyed it and keeping an eye out for his second book. A bit nippy but dry this morning, Arthur Itis is keeping quiet now its drier. Time for breakfast, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull, wet and windy day here in England’s northwest. Once Sheila has set off for her Zumba class, I have a couple of small tasks to do, clean out the washing machine dispenser, followed by the coffee machine nozzle. These shouldn’t take very long, then I shall head back downstairs to the cellar and continue working on the engine shed. 

After tea tea I will have the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix to look forward to, but other than that it’s just another day at home. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Moring, and a wet and windy one it is, UK cut off yet again, kipper panic buying in full tilt.

Hop tu Naa (halloween) is taken quite seriously here, kids really take some time to dress up well and don't trick or treat but have to sing the Hop tu Naa song, Ginny the Witch.  No singing, no treats!  It was absolutely throwing it down last night so we only got one group of about 10 kids, maybe 8 to 11 ages, half drowned, but they were still dressed up and sung, so chokkies were distributed.  The younger ones usually come just after dark with parents stood at the end of driveways keeping an eye on proceedings, but they obviously gave the weather a win.  It was a horrid night and not much better now.

Dr Who was awful, but with the sound off Jodie Whitaker is quite easy on the eye.  Why do all 'action' programmes now have to have the characters screaming aaaaaaagh together whenever anything happens?  I fear it is a transatlantic influence, sorry to those over there!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear had a successful visit to TP - if a little expensive.  I swear the guy taking Bear's money was related to Dick Turpin :angry:

I pondered over what sort of wall tie to get - and realised on the way home I would've been better off with the "other one".  Turdycurses.  I feel improvisation is required....

I managed to see the nearly new neighbours next door as I arrived on the drive - who are currently having their extension floor dug up with kango's.  Yes, they do expect there will be room to spare in their skip, and yes, Bear can dump his rubble in there.  Oh goody :yahoo:

I saw the front gate had been opened - and then spied a bl00dy great bin liner dumped by my wheelie bin, in the gap between it and the front hedge.  After a few moments I realised it was Bear's missing delivery of leccy blanket and pillows that had arrived at the second attempt.  It's a good job I spotted it, as they'd not bothered to put a card thru' the door.  It could've sat there for days.  Ar5ebadgers.

1685227202_IMG_21141.JPG.04afd4973f145da6812f700214bc0db8.JPG

As for today, well I'll do a bit on the wall but I don't want to get covered in ***t yet again cos' Nurse Covid is arriving between 1 and 2pm for yet another test.  Hopefully I'll get the wall ties installed and the brickwork cleaned and de-dusted ready for laying bricks tomorrow - I'll be laying stainless steel Helibars into the horizontal mortar courses to tie the whole lot together and hopefully help prevent any further cracks - the ready mixed mortar has Lime in the mix as well, which should help (apparently).  The top layer of bricks will be fun, cos they are inset into a gap between the two plasterboard ceilings - so I'll have to stuff them into the gap and hold them there whilst laying the brick on the row below.  Expect language.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Morning, it seems that the much needed rain has now abated and the sun has come out, off to get my new glasses this morning, just hope they do what they are supposed to, my eyes have changed quite a lot over the past couple of years, my current specs are pretty much useless now. Take care all.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Phone weather app was wrong and no rain appeared.  Mainly blue sky and brilliant sunshine now and hopefully it will stay that way for our trip South.

No we have it all here in the sodden, awash Northwest.

Send help mother we're going to a water polo match.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think any Halloween callers called last night. If they did we didn’t hear them especially while we were watching Doctor Who. It didn’t bother me that parts of the episode didn’t seem to link. I suspect all will be revealed in future episodes.In a lot of written science and fantasy fiction, the reader is dropped straight into the world the author has created. I find it is best to accept it and wait for the explanation. 

• Like 14