The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Hmm - the on-line guide shows it as highlights at 5-30pm.  Confused....

Well it does seem that Bear got it wrong......

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/how-to-watch-the-f1-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-2021-for-free-tv-channel-and-live-stream-for-title-decider/ar-AARE35Z?ocid=msedgntp

Vivienne 1, Bear 0......:laugh:

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Go to the tool section . pick up a Stanley Knife ( other cutting brands are available )

return to timber section , cut straps , return the knife , select desired piece of

timber and purchase .      :good:

I've been known to do that on more than a few occasions when I've forgotten the tape measure.  This time I used the door key to good effect, though it took a few rubs to get thru'.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

or carry a pocket knife like a good boy Scout...

I used to carry a Leatherman multi tool that folds into a pair of pliers and knife blades but gave up as I was worried about getting my collar felt when knife crime was big in the news a few years ago. I do have a box slitter but the blade is dull now my Brother got it when he worked in Morrisons before he joined the RAF

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

With the leatherman it depends on the model, the max blade length has to be no more than 3  inches  and it can't lock which many leatherman do..

If you're wearing a kilt you can wear a fixed blade Sgian dubh of 3.5 inches..

• Informative/Useful 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Award of the Day goes to.....

New Zealand - for having the b@lls to jump down hard on the sale of cigarettes - and also limit the nicotine levels on those available :clapping:

Right then Bojo - how's about doing the same?  I'll not hold my breath.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Award of the Day goes to.....

New Zealand - for having the b@lls to jump down hard on the sale of cigarettes - and also limit the nicotine levels on those available :clapping:

Right then Bojo - how's about doing the same?  I'll not hold my breath.....

It's somewhat easier to put a border ban on NZ, where everything is long distance, mostly very long distance shipping. 

Here it's just 22 miles from calais where there are thousands of cars and lorries travelling  everyday. Then add all the other ports and ferry routes to the continent as well  there is no chance of a ban working..

Even now with out the ban people are getting caught smuggling cigs every day. All you would do with a ban is to create the right situation for gangs as like prohibition America..

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

It was " normal" back then for there to be slaves. The whites didn't create slaves in Africa there was already market for them, which they exploited..

That's true but the market created by the European nations for slavery on an industrial scale was different from what had gone before and that had a devastating effect on large parts of Africa. It was perhaps a bit like the difference between local people habitually using cocaine and the drug cartels moving in.

Also, slavery had not generally been ethnically based before. A slave captured in Senegal and taken to say Tangier was not considered particularly differently from one captured from a coastal village in Cornwall (of wihch there were many) Europeans had to come up with a justification for this new form of mass slavery with the result that novel ideas of racial superiority and inferiority developed and became normalised. That resulted in the pseudo science of race theory whose dire consequences we're still living with today.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. There was a two way slave trade going on between Scandinavia and the Near East for centuries (c. 900 to c. 1800). Young women and girls going south and male slaves going north. The main route was via Russia and the River Volga. Blond Scandinavian girls were much sought after as concubines and fetched a high price, so much so that even some of their parents were willing to sell them into slavery. Sometimes you will see an Arab with blue eyes and/or blond hair to this day, possibly descended from one of these girls (or a Crusader).

The (usually) young men going the other way fared worse and many ended up in Russia were a lot of them didn't survive their first Russian winter.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

@iL Dottoregood to hear the Lucy seems to be improving :good:

BIN day. Done, bin lorry chorus here for hours already...

Nothing much happened yesterday, same expected today, only event will be the schola rehearsal. With three rehearsals before the Christmas Eve and day services we've plenty of time to cockit up get it right :)

PAH! As I diligently type this, client has some other frantic changes for the month-end - who expected that!! :O :):jester:

-5 and partly cloudy at BIN time, going for a heady +3 later :O

Tally ho.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Buddy at work has a poorly King Charles Cavalier that has just cost £4.5K in pre-surgery fees - the surgery - for a hip replacement will be another £7K.  Fortunately the insurance will be picking up the majority of the tab.

The other hip was done some years ago, at similar cost.  Ouch.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

or carry a pocket knife like a good boy Scout...

Is it illegal to carry a knife or blade in NSW?    Possessing a knife or blade in a public place is an offence under section 11C of the Summary Offences Act 1988 which carries a maximum penalty of 2 years in prison and/or a fine of $2,200.

A 'knife' includes a knife blade, a razor blade and any other blade.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Slavery lasted quite a bit longer in the British Empire/Commonwealth than many realise.

A practice known as  "blackbirding" was carried out by Australian sugar plantation owners  from the mid 19th century through to as recently as the 1950's.  Also carried out by colonists in other south pacific colonies as well as some South American countries to this day.

Basically south sea islanders were kidnapped or coerced onto ships and transported to work on the sugar farms and plantations of Queensland as well as Fiji and New Caledonia as "indentured workers". Then when the white Australia policy came into force, they were suddenly deemed illegal aliens and kicked out.

These slaves - as such they pretty well were - were termed "kanakas" or kanaks, a  demeaning term still used by some racists here for south sea islanders when they think they can get away with it.

Here is an account of it by one of  the grandson of one of these people..

https://theconversation.com/australias-hidden-history-of-slavery-the-government-divides-to-conquer-86140

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

My Polo Shirt today is of a colour very near to  Very Peri

I have a company logo, periwinkle blue, polo shirt stashed away somewhere. It was the 'uniform' for a trade show. One year we had dark khaki long sleeved shirts to be worn with black trousers. If I recall correctly, a competitor labeled the uniform "brown shirts".

• Friendly/supportive 16

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just as well its a model I wouldn't want to try to put a Christmas jumper on the real thing.

The T-Rex in its Christmas jumper made late night comedy fodder. One presenter suggested that with their relatively short arms they would have a difficult time taking it off - miming the motions for effect. (I found it funny.)

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is it illegal to carry a knife or blade in NSW?    Possessing a knife or blade in a public place is an offence under section 11C of the Summary Offences Act 1988 which carries a maximum penalty of 2 years in prison and/or a fine of $2,200.

A 'knife' includes a knife blade, a razor blade and any other blade.

The law in the UK:

Basic laws on knives

It’s illegal to possess a banned knife or weapon. It’s also illegal to:

bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give someone a banned knife or weapon

carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long

sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long

use any knife in a threatening way

In Scotland, 16 to 18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery and kitchen knives.

Lock knives

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button

can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener

In other news:

Bear pretty much got everything done today that I wanted to :yahoo: - which makes a change.  The wooden batten purchased today has been screwed to the wall - I've learnt the hard way that wood can quickly resemble a boomerang if left for much longer than 5 minutes unattended :angry:

I also - after reading the thread regarding the offerings of a certain Red Box Manufacturer - unpacked and checked the Hush Hush for damage; many have been reporting problems - and dealers have been receiving them with significant damage too (as in busted loco and tender bodyshells).  All appears well so far....:yahoo:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

The law in the UK:

Basic laws on knives

It’s illegal to possess a banned knife or weapon. It’s also illegal to:

bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give someone a banned knife or weapon

carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long

sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long

use any knife in a threatening way

In Scotland, 16 to 18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery and kitchen knives.

Lock knives

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button

can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain othe

So what TheQ was suggesting  - carrying a boyscout knife  - isn't illegal in the UK, I just wanted to point out that it would be here.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 45156 said:

Rick - I wish I knew where you were getting these up the hooter only COVID tests - round here, we're still getting the bblue and white boxes

Ours arrive in blue and white boxes and are ordered direct from www.gov.uk 

It might depend which supplier has delivered to the warehouse serving your postcode.  We started out by getting green and white boxes with the long dual-purpose ticklers but have had only the blue / white ones with snozzle-only sticks for a long time now.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2