RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I just cannot get warm I am sat near the radiator in our bedroom covered in a blanket 

That is the problem; the bedroom is covered with the blanket. I suspect that you should be covered with said blanket instead! :jester:

• Funny 17

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Speaking of "my" ice storm, here are a few photos taken around 0950 this morning (it's still p!$$!ng down):

Nasty stuff, freezing rain. Hopefully it has warmed up a bit since the morning. Based on your local weather forecast, it should all be gone tomorrow.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Use by date* lottery for dinner tonight, fish pie with veg. *Still a couple of days to go but nearest in date to today.

Sell by dates should be taken with a pinch of salt.  In the US theres thoughts on doing away with it altogether to avoid waste as people tend to throw away perfectly good items too early.  Indeed we have just used up milk dated Dec 23 last year!

Brian

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Morrisons are removing the Best Before dates from their own brand milk to try to reduce waste.

I think it's "Use By" on milk that they are getting rid of, to be replaced with "Best Before".  The idea is that many people dump good milk as soon as it hits the use by date, so now they recommend "best before" plus a sniff test.  Seems sensible.

In other news....

Yet more checking & listing of tools this afternoon - this time in the shed.  It's the turn of milling cutters tomorrow.....there's a fair few of them too.

A phone call from The Plasterer this morning - start day has slipped by a day (to Thurs) cos' he's gotta have an injection in his paw for Arthritis on Tues; I'm guessing it's not the first time and he knows that his paw will be crook the following day, hence the slippage.  Anyway, it doesn't cause Bear any problems so no worries there.

I never did get around to messing with all things split chassis today - maybe tomorrow...

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening All,

Another day, another walk. This time to another of Barnsley’s tourist attractions but no gf food at the cafe. Lots of tasty pizza, pasties and cakes  etc on show but had to make do with a packet of crisps.

Got hope mid afternoon but again achieved bu88er all, like Bear, maybe tomorrow. Was going take some measurements regarding chassis widths but……..

Speaking (well writing I suppose) of tomorrow, I’ve got a big meeting at the building site to contemplate. Designer, builder and fitter going to be there so hopefully some dates may be banded about. 
Don’t know where the day goes, oh yes, watching rubbish films on the TV.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

15 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Another day, another walk. This time to another of Barnsley’s tourist attractions but no gf food at the cafe. Lots of tasty pizza, pasties and cakes  etc on show but had to make do with a packet of crisps.

Got hope mid afternoon but again achieved bu88er all, like Bear, maybe tomorrow. Was going take some measurements regarding chassis widths but……..

Speaking (well writing I suppose) of tomorrow, I’ve got a big meeting at the building site to contemplate. Designer, builder and fitter going to be there so hopefully some dates may be banded about. 
Don’t know where the day goes, oh yes, watching rubbish films on the TV.

Goodnight,

Robert

Just make sure you tell them that you're recording the conversation as last time you didn't and look what happened.

Good look at getting them all to agree there start/completion - pick most appropriate, dates.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nasty stuff, freezing rain. Hopefully it has warmed up a bit since the morning. Based on your local weather forecast, it should all be gone tomorrow.

It did turn to rain by mid-afternoon but the temperature (33° F)  is still too cold for any major disappearance. Tomorrow will be better.

The yard at 1830:

1643574237_202216jan22sleetbuild-up1830-001.jpg.602cb91a04abcc440ec61fcc3cbd55b2.jpg

And later at 2125; those footprints are an animal's deer maybe, btw:

423353308_202216jan22sleetbuild-up2125-002.jpg.43ef5271791fa5617ed45118c67c4fb7.jpg

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

57 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

It did turn to rain by mid-afternoon but the temperature (33° F)  is still too cold for any major disappearance. Tomorrow will be better.

That's spooky, it's 33 degree here right now too.

Oh, you mean farenheit

• Funny 15

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Use by date

5 hours ago, brianusa said:

Sell by dates

4 hours ago, polybear said:

I think it's "Use By" on milk that they are getting rid of, to be replaced with "Best Before". 

I see pretty much all of them in different variations. I see:

• Packed on + Sell through (two different dates, on things like ham)
  • Use or freeze by (on ground meats) 
  • Best before / Best by (on many, if not most, jars/cans/bottles)

Variants of "best if used before" are by far the most common. I tend to write the date on which I open a jar in permanent marker on the lid before I put things in the 'fridge. If opened earlier, they can, though may not be, bad before the "best by" date. Unopened, they are usually fine well after then "best by" date.

When my son was young and I had visitation on weekends there were items I purchased intended for him. Sometimes they did not get used promptly. There was an unopened bottle of apple juice in the fridge (I don't know for how long). Eventually I thought to open it for him. It looked fine but I gave it a good shake. This resulted in a lot of non-dissolved solids like you might find in an unfiltered Zummerset scrumpy. I did not serve it to my son. It remains a joke between us.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

I think it's "Use By" on milk that they are getting rid of, to be replaced with "Best Before".  The idea is that many people dump good milk as soon as it hits the use by date, so now they recommend "best before" plus a sniff test.  Seems sensible.

I have proposed (maybe before in this thread)  that there should be three dates:

Best before

Adequate until

Fatal after

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

11 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Surprised Poly didn’t post this one.

Ive stolen’ it from ‘ things that make you :-)’

Something  that you might find in Flávio’s fridge?

79C2FB1D-2567-4D35-8107-CC4E2A745102.jpeg.809633a76259c8abda8c0b65d543a330.jpeg

Good God, NO!

If I have a vegetarian meal it’s with real vegetables and not with any sort of meat or dairy “substitute”

iD

p.s. Come to think of it, proper pork sausages are also “plant based” - given that pigs raised for slaughter are fed with grain and similar vegetable material…

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

11 minutes ago, chrisf said:

..Will we ever see the last of that ruddy virus?

Chris 

Nope, it’s here to stay. The only virus mankind has ever eradicated was smallpox (after many, many decades of research, vaccination and other effort).

What will change is (a) the virulence of the virus [generally they become less lethal over time) and (b) how humans respond to the virus.

I reckon that once the coronavirus has a similar lethality as yearly influenza and is pretty much ubiquitous, then life will return to normal. A “new” post-pandemic normal, true; but as “normal” as we’ll ever get…

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3