Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull start here but there is some blue sky appearing through the clouds and even the hint of something bright.  It's quite breezy but a mild 12°C and should stay dry. 

Rugby didn't go to plan last night.  Quins went to Bath, should have won but nobody told the opposition who never gave up and deserved their win.  There's another match to watch later but I'll have to record it as Nicki & Abbie are visiting after lunch.  Because of that I am needed to assist with tasks domestic (the word "Housework" from yesterday has been explained in full although I did know what it meant :yes: and pleading ignorance got me nowhere :nono:)

Didn't get around to repairing the Buddha as on further inspection it is a major restoration job that I think is beyond me but I will have a go.  I have a least got a photo of it in pristine condition so that may help.....or not.

I use power line adaptors and I've got a WiFi booster in the conservatory so don't have any problems inside the house or garden near the house but I've still not tried the laptop in The Shed. 

Time for breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's a couple of worthwhile things in nearby Orion. The Orion nebula is easily seen with the naked eye, it's the middle 'star' in Orion's sword that hangs below his belt so give that a squizz.

Also if you have a dark night the Horsehead Nebula is locatable with a scope to the south of the most easterly star that makes up his belt.

There's yet  another nebula in Orion bit I've never managed to locate it...

Thanks for that, I'll take a squint and report back when (if?) successful!

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

* is that irony, hyperbole, sarcasm or cynicism - not sure

Does that mean that Captain Cynicism was actually  Sergeant Sarcasm before  promotion?    I supposes it's obvious when you come to think of it ....

1 hour ago, polybear said:

..... at to what actually gets "Made Up" will depend on how much of a groove Bear is stuck in - at the moment that groove seems to be dangerously close to the dreaded Black Dog Kennel.

STEP AWAY FROM THE DOG KENNEL!

Sounds like a therapeutic trip to Puppershire might be required.   That'll kill or cure it .....

In Other News:

Not a lot.     The first production Gizmo has been received by the "Customer".   We await calls to the Customer Support line for guidance and feedback.      The construction of the second production Gizmo has commenced - well, I couldn't have my mate having a nice neat tidy job and me loafing about with a prototype.    I did spend an hour or so that I won't get back trying to rebuild the code when it persisted in failing to compile, reporting some nonsense with some library functions I'm using to write to and read from the EEPROM.   It eventually turned out to be an unnoticed * character that had escaped from a comment and was pretending to be real, important "computer code".   Once deleted normality returned!   For the electronics man it was the equivalent of a whisker of solder joining two tracks together, for the man in the street it was the equivalent of having a big lump of grit in your eye.

Anyway, another MIUAYGA day today.   Come to think of it, they've all been MIUAYGA days for months now .....

Alan

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a very windy, and alternatively sunny or horizontally raining, rock. 9c, feels like very little.

Fruit juices are indeed verboten to the diabetic, Q.  I have found 'V8' vegetable juice a good alternative at breakfastime, with a bit (or a lot in my case) Worcestershire sauce in for added spice.  It also seems to supress my appetite a bit, which is a good thing as my appetite is greater than my body, if you get my drift.

John, I haven't given up all carbs, just cut down a lot (no spuds, rice, pasta as well as biscuits and cake of course) and now maintain HbA1c (beloved of iD!) of 36 (or 5.5%) over the last 24 months.  Result.  Hard work sometimes though for a cake lover.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning to all,

The week ended on a good note yesterday. The vet called with Lucy’s test results - her pancreas is not the problem - all OK there. Having ruled everything else out, it would seem Lucy had been clobbered by some sort of GI infection. Having recently had giardiasis and a bout of acute pancreatitis (both confirmed by lab results), I would imagine Lucy’s GI flora are all over the place - rendering her susceptible to picking up a bug… Current Rx? Continue with the proton pump inhibitor and pancreatic enzymes, start a new Abx Rx and continue with a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken. The latter being most happily taken by Lucy - she absolutely loves boiled chicken (which is not really boiled - but simmered - with a pinch of salt - in just enough water to cover until no longer pink. Thus providing meat and a thin jus to flavour her rice).

Interesting posts about blood sugar. From my perspective non-fasting blood glucose is one of the least helpful blood tests around. When I was working (a while ago) on a drug for diabetic neuropathy, the requirement for monitoring was fasting blood sugar and - for Type I diabetics - glycated (or glycosolated) haemoglobin (aka HbA1c). Interestingly the test was renamed from glycosolated haemoglobin to glycated haemoglobin to correctly reflect the process.

The renaming of lab tests I find a little bit annoying - after spending years working with something like SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) to then have to start referring to the test as AST (aspartate aminotransferase) irks. The new nomenclature may have sound reasons for adoption - based on a better understanding of the biology/mechanisms of action - but I still find it “a significant disruption to my fragile world view”* But, hey-ho, that’s progress for you.

* is that irony, hyperbole, sarcasm or cynicism - not sure

A busy weekend in the kitchen awaits: I have a birthday cake to make, a kilo of chicken strips to dehydrate for Lucy (and Schotty, of course) and a Cheese Soufflé to make for dinner.

And then there’s the workshop to continue to tidy up…

Well iL Dottore if you get irked when they simply change the name of the test I don't know what you'd do when they change the name of ingredients.

Welcome to the world of botany. To give you an example. Rosemary. Every one knows it. Goes nice with a bit of lamb. Well along come the botanists and Lowe and behold its no longer called rosmarinus officinal its now called salvia rosmarinus. Then there's Sedum spectabile or ice plant is now called Hylotelephium spectabile and don't get me started on Asters or should that be Symphyotrichum. So next time your in the florist looking to purchase some flowers try asking for some of those.

PS don't blame me if you get asked to leave.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Does that mean that Captain Cynicism was actually  Sergeant Sarcasm before  promotion?    I supposes it's obvious when you come to think of it…

Sorry to disappoint, but Captain Cynical went through the Supervillain equivalent of Sandhurst, then got his commission in the Supervillain’s League.

But regardless of rank, promotion is always on the principle of “dead man’s shoes” in the Supervillain League (quite literally, in fact)…

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning, warm but blowing a hoolie took a pan of ashes out the door to put in the ash can, pan was empty long before I walked the 5 yards(or metres if you insist), so the roses got some extra fertiliser. Wind is due to drop for a bit, so hope to get out for a walk later..............eyes are just the same, still crossed.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Didn't sleep as well last night as I did the night before so I might carry on with some more eye inspection later. But first things to do such as getting in supplies that have been getting a bit low recently. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Blowing 85 mph at Inverbervie not too far from Tigerburnie, a mere 45mph here.

The paint job ont' boat looks good, better than I expected. But it will get a light sand and repaint when the weather is next good enough.

Owltrol is highly thought of in the sailing fraternity, especially in the warmer bits of the USA if painting in summer. Yours true here at just above 5C, its not needed.

Mobile home prepared, brownie points earnt, 

Kitchen lights and fittings replaced, brownies points earnt.

Taking SWMBO shopping Monday brownie point to be earnt.

Can I use all these points before they become life expired?...

Oh another forum I inhabit,. It currently says"you don't have permission to access this thread"....it's MY thread and I'm logged in!!! Yep same basic software as RMweb

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

19 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, warm but blowing a hoolie took a pan of ashes out the door to put in the ash can, pan was empty long before I walked the 5 yards(or metres if you insist), so the roses got some extra fertiliser. Wind is due to drop for a bit, so hope to get out for a walk later..............eyes are just the same, still crossed.

Morning all and Good luck with your blustery visitor ‘Malik’ ,Tigerburnie…

Malik is on it’s way from you, to us out here on the East Coast of Nordjylland, Denmark.
In 24 hours it has gone from a beautiful day like this…..

60756F2A-2622-4991-AA26-BA482402BA47.jpeg.4128db5ead51dd704a602b08dcd52cd9.jpeg

…..To stapling the trampoline to the ground and piling tree branches and a concrete post on the frame it to weigh it down, like this…..

6009E700-0AED-425D-84C1-734A4AA5CFFE.jpeg.dc017e94a6ca8aba90266784acc90469.jpeg

03640BC1-1376-438E-B6C3-2FCE1CF89F2B.jpeg.eeb01902c12c95397643ad04bb2cc948.jpeg

Hopefully we will still have a flag pole and a flag by tomorrow afternoon……if not the some poor sole soul in Sweden will most likely end up with it. Ah but it will probably be fine…..after all it is only a Wimple…:D

B1D8F732-24F4-466A-8A64-CB502C2F58B4.jpeg.8f0c2555d266b8de269b37a75dbfdcbd.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was drummed out of the Cubs after we accidentally burned Arkela to the ground, but I was there long enough to remember the basics of being prepared.

So to that end I have loads of firewood….

40BD20EE-E196-441F-9275-B642E6744CC0.jpeg.55bd17b2409ef92fd685ae9c3006dbc0.jpeg

A lovely warm fire….

772B5C6C-7D9F-4E71-BB9D-6C94A1389A0B.jpeg.b143cf41182b5704765b535c68baf429.jpeg

….and a few beers at the ready..…with some modelling of wagons to continue with. 

B8C64488-F7C2-4B11-B10D-74C63C6046DA.jpeg.eabbfac3574d52a33095ec629ef9afa6.jpeg

So Malik can do his Bloody Well Best……

Take care all….Hej Hej….Grizz

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Smidge and Bucketsful were units often used at sea!

And as The late great Tom Lehrer tells us, "It just takes a smidgeon to poison a pigeon when you're poisoning pigeons in the park."

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Sorry to disappoint, but Captain Cynical went through the Supervillain equivalent of Sandhurst, then got his commission in the Supervillain’s League.

But regardless of rank, promotion is always on the principle of “dead man’s shoes” in the Supervillain League (quite literally, in fact)…

Actually it ought perhaps to be Snotty Sarcastic as I believe that was what the lowest brand of orfficers were called in some services by the ones who actually ran the job, namely the senior NCO's.

Now off to follow Grizz's example and get 3 barrow fulls of logs down to keep the home fires burning.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Quite! But I've become accustomed to it now - I suppose you can get used to anything in four decades. And i still have visiting rights... my sister lives just outside Darlington, and Mrs Shed's family are further north in Newcastle. So I get to drive in and through the Land of the Prince Bishops at regular intervals (or did until the recent troubles curtailed travel).

Hope your diabolicals continue to improve!

You could always have visited them on the way for an eyetest at Specsavers 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

Seems we have 66 mph(note not kilometres per ..........what ever is the metric equivalent of an hour lol) winds, the roads to Arbroath and Brechin are blocked by fallen trees but you can still get to Montrose(no trees adjacent to the roads there), not that I am planning to go anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, warm but blowing a hoolie took a pan of ashes out the door to put in the ash can, pan was empty long before I walked the 5 yards(or metres if you insist)

That reminds me of the following… :rofl_mini:

85F51709-0058-42CB-824C-2F6410256247_1_105_c.jpeg.74bab57f2670718146886d35ef341531.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

May I recommend the channel 5 programme great river journeys.

In particular that of the River Bure.

https://www.channel5.com/show/world-s-most-scenic-river-journeys/season-2/episode-1

Near the start paddling down from aylsham mill out in the narrow wilds they are a few hundred yards from the Landrover place, that works on my Landrover.

I know several people in it, in particular the helm of the Yare and Bure one design, aka the white boat. Is a member of my sailing clubs, and the helm of death and glory I've spoken to many times as he collects or brings sailing boats, he's got an old battered Landrover too.

You see the dinghies at Horning I know many of the people in shot, Rodney a former builder is on the helm of the rescue boat its the Thursday evening sailing school.  The high shot of the Southern comfort fake paddle steamer shows the sailing club on the left..

There are errors in the show, it says this is Wroxham, but the left hand side of the shot / river is Hoveton aka effin clown town. There's a reversed left to right shot soon after, several bits of river are out of sequence, but it's still one of the better shows about the broads..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Once again, like others have experienced, it has taken me ages to log on here this morning. It took almost 5 minutes just to load my content page, then wouldn’t load the unread pages, so after 10 minutes I gave up. I tried again a few minutes ago and was able to finally get all the unread pages loaded. 

Sunny here, but very blustery and there’s not a pooh bear in sight!

This morning, Ava once agin joined us for the day, which was mostly spent sewing with Sheila, her latest project is really coming on now. 

Well that’s all for now, as it’s time to start making dinner soon. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

And as The late great Tom Lehrer tells us,

Reports of Tom's death are greatly exaggerated - I hope!  To the best of my knowledge he is 93 and still very much alive.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Seems we have 66 mph(note not kilometres per ..........what ever is the metric equivalent of an hour lol) winds, the roads to Arbroath and Brechin are blocked by fallen trees but you can still get to Montrose(no trees adjacent to the roads there), not that I am planning to go anywhere.

Tigerburnie I have just gone onto a website to look at what 66mph is etc….we have this speed forecast for here later this evening. 

Just randomly grabbed this site…

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_windconvert

Quite a useful converter, thank you to Tim Brice and Todd Hall. 

2FACD3A7-127F-41A9-8FF8-BF929A1E3E29.png.fdfc321b7fabc23885b0a71013498de2.png

For the UK Met Office forecast Aalborg is the nearest city to us, although we are around 22 miles or 37km to the West and North of the Limfyord.

We’ve got this lot coming…..Malik. Probably not going to be much fun in the forest tonight as the wind is already bending the trees quite a bit and the gusts are strong even now. But on the bright side by tomorrow evening  we might have some unexpected firewood as a bonus. Just so long as a tree doesn’t hit the house or cut off the power. 

8D99B7A3-C3E7-46B4-B754-E27A73A7EA9B.jpeg.93bf881a328b6e4200ea9706e7e2e32d.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

What about the tad and a measurement based on the length of a follicle on the underpinnings of a gnat.

Jamie

Not sure what that is; we used "frog hair(s)" as a unit of measurement. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1