RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

...snip... Why do we give Civil servants awards for being a bunch of useless disconnected lazy so and sos?? ...snip...

I think that you are using a very broad brush there, Sir. I have known many who have given excellent service to the public. There are a few who do not; "One rotten apple can spoil the whole barrel.".

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The 'second class' reference relates to the fact that they have no congressional representatives with voting privileges; along the lines of 'taxation without representation'. ...snip...

Unless things have changed, they do not pay federal income tax, something that would change if they ever gain statehood.

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip... I've not been there, but it has the potential to be a tropical paradise  ...snip...

My parents visited there on the only cruise that they ever took and they both gave some thought to moving there. I think that I am glad that they did not.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Like 11

32 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

… my Espanol is virtually limited to saying  "good day" and ordering a beer!

Learn ‘hello’ and you should be good.

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

25 minutes ago, pH said:

Learn ‘hello’ and you should be good.

So long as you don't have food allergies. I think I've related it before but I had a funny moment in a Mexican border town in the mid-1980s.

At dinner with several colleagues, one had an allergy to shellfish. She wanted to know if a seafood salad (likely listed on the menu as ensalada de mariscos) had crab in it. She also happened to be from China and had an accent. The waiter spoke no English. These were the days with no handy Google translate. The rest of us couldn't think of much other than pescado or camarones, let alone cangrejo or cámbaro.

She asked if the dish had any 'crab' in it (though when she said that word it sounded more like it ended with "p"). 

You probably had to be there.

In the end she ordered it and didn't have anaphylaxis.

She had a story where she and a friend got lost while travelling in the Netherlands. They found a Chinese restaurant to ask for directions.

• Like 18

8 hours ago, brianusa said:

…. The 'courtship' shows are an excuse to show bare boobs on the ladies and the 'hunks' are obligated to have beards, and bare chests (not so interesting!)  Tattoos abound!

Brian

Whilst I am more than delighted by the former and unperturbed by the latter, why are all the contestants such grotesque specimens of humanity?

I assume, Brian, you are referring to something like Naked Attraction - a programme I had the misfortune to come across whilst channel surfing. Apart from the dubiousness of the premise, there is also the insincerity of the presenter - who tends to squeal “you’re beyooootiful” at every hideous participant and the utter freakishness of the contestants - who all seem to have been chronologically kidnapped from a Victorian fair’s freakshow.

The show makes a very very strong case for “body shaming”

Lord Reith is spinning in his grave at a high RPMs

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I think that you are using a very broad brush there, Sir. I have known many who have given excellent service to the public. There are a few who do not; "One rotten apple can spoil the whole barrel.".

Having been a Civil Servant in the UK (twice) if you are an engineer you had no real chance of improving the way you work.  We were looked down on by others (indeed one site Director told me " you engineers are the scum of the earth. You are not content with letting me build vehicles by trying to improve reliability"  ho hum! And he got a "gong" for his services...pah!

Baz

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Eyup!

Walkabout almost complete.. phase 2 stars tomorrow. 

I would like to see the Northern Lights. Some friends went on a Hertigruten cruise up to the top of Norway and saw several displays of the lights. They reckon that the pictures they took were not really representative of what they saw. It's on my "todo" list.

Time to drink my tea and get backtracking about!

Anyone heard from @Dave Huntrecently??

Baz

• Like 16

Whilst on the topic of reality/game/competition TV Shows, may I pass on the following press announcement?

COMING SOON FROM “TELLY TRASH”:

The Real Celebrity Apprentice Dancing Naked Housewives of the East End Cotswolds Bake Off.

Coming to a TV near you The Real Celebrity Apprentice Dancing Naked Housewives of the East End Cotswolds Bake Off. Is an enthralling amalgam of all your favourite TV shows.

Thrill to nude once appeared on TV as an extra “stars” as, blinged up, they rumba their way through making Lemon Drizzle Cake for the approval of Lord @polybear  whilst bitching about and backstabbing their fellow contestants.

Our reviewers have said:

• I can’t find the words to describe this show.The Independent
  • Absolutely snip snip snip snip enthralling. The Times
  • Move over Big Brother and Strictly, there’s a snip new snip kid snip on the block. The Daily Mirror.
  • What an investment!. Financial Times
  • Go on, witch it! The Guardian.

Series 2 and 3 have already been commissioned!

TELLY TRASH: Making TV for the left hand side of the curve!

TELLY TRASH a wholly owned subsidiary of CCI GmbH

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Frosty start with a red sky in the East.  Forecast is for a dry morning with some sunny spells followed by more cloud later and the chance of some rain.  Currently 2°C.

First task today is to pop to Sainsbury's to get something "we" forgot.  After that a few domestic tasks are on the agenda along with some redistribution of one of my pensions.  This afternoon there are a couple of 6 Nations Rugby matches to enjoy.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

During freshers week when  I was at  Bradford University  in the 80s I heard a girl from the south on the phone talking  to her parents.

‘ They don’t all wear clogs and there’s even a Marks and Spencer’s up here’

Funnily enough, at that time there was a popular band (*) from Bradford whose members wore the old style wooden clogs and a large number of the local  youths wore them as part of their fashion statement.

* New Model Army  as frequently quoted in  ‘The Song Title Game’

There used to be quite a large clog factory near Todmoden, Walklets. There main customer was the chemical industry.  They also made fashion clogs.  I bought a pair in Whitehaven and fou d them to be excellent for working in thevloco shed on Laal Ratty. Impervious to clinker, oil etc.  I also fou d them very comfortable and warm.  I have no idea where they went.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Having been a Civil Servant in the UK (twice) if you are an engineer you had no real chance of improving the way you work.  We were looked down on by others (indeed one site Director told me " you engineers are the scum of the earth. You are not content with letting me build vehicles by trying to improve reliability"  ho hum! And he got a "gong" for his services...pah!

Baz

Presumably someone with a classics edukaton. 

I was told that that they got a gong in recognition of having worked.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

would like to see the Northern Lights. Some friends went on a Hertigruten cruise up to the top of Norway and saw several displays of the lights. They reckon that the pictures they took were not really representative of what they saw. It's on my "todo" list.

The Southern version is pretty reliable ( Aurora Australis),  I've even  seen it  from Wilson's promontory in southern Victoria. Also  twice when in Tasmania. Once was when on Bruny Island in southern Tasmania and the other time was  unexpectedly when in the central Tablelands at Cradle Mountain where they were reflected in the lake and looked amazing, though the photos I took show just a light purple glow.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Late on parade today due to being a little busy first thing. Then I went to collect Ava, who is now sat with Sheila continuing her latest sewing project. AVa is stopping for tea tonight and has requested a curry, so I'll be busy after dinner. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Southern version is pretty reliable ( Aurora Australis),  I've even  seen it  from Wilson's promontory in southern Victoria. Also  twice when in Tasmania. Once was when on Bruny Island in southern Tasmania and the other time was  unexpectedly when in the central Tablelands at Cradle Mountain where they were reflected in the lake and looked amazing, though the photos I took show just a light purple glow.

Yes we saw the "Southern Lights" when visiting Invercargil.  

Very pretty!!

Baz

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Thats a shame - Facebook is losing users for the first time, apparently!

Brian.

Not at all surprised, its become almost impossible to use. When I first started using Farcebook it was relatively easy to use. Gradually they have removed all the features that are helpful to users. At one time everything was in some sort of order but now its all in sh!t order. Worst of all when I go down my groups list about two thirds of the way down the list it drops out of the groups. When you go back into the groups list they are in a different order so you have sort out those that you have read from those you haven't.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear knows a song that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves

Bear knows a song that'll get on your nerves - and this it how it goes....

Bear knows a song......

(Feel free to join in.......)

:rofl:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Whilst on the topic of reality/game/competition TV Shows, may I pass on the following press announcement?

COMING SOON FROM “TELLY TRASH”:

The Real Celebrity Apprentice Dancing Naked Housewives of the East End Cotswolds Bake Off.

Coming to a TV near you The Real Celebrity Apprentice Dancing Naked Housewives of the East End Cotswolds Bake Off. Is an enthralling amalgam of all your favourite TV shows.

Thrill to nude once appeared on TV as an extra “stars” as, blinged up, they rumba their way through making Lemon Drizzle Cake for the approval of Lord @polybear  whilst bitching about and backstabbing their fellow contestants.

Our reviewers have said:

• I can’t find the words to describe this show.The Independent
  • Absolutely snip snip snip snip enthralling. The Times
  • Move over Big Brother and Strictly, there’s a snip new snip kid snip on the block. The Daily Mirror.
  • What an investment!. Financial Times
  • Go on, witch it! The Guardian.

Series 2 and 3 have already been commissioned!

TELLY TRASH: Making TV for the left hand side of the curve!

TELLY TRASH a wholly owned subsidiary of CCI GmbH

I must tell you that I for one will not be subscribing to that channel, not now or at any time in the foreseeable future. I seem to recall that there used to be a program called Eurotrash and I thought that was about as low as they could get.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well a couple of days absent, as there have been too many other events which have needed our attention.  Sorry, but yet again a lot of skipping has had to be done.  The Almighty knows when I might get round to the railway related topics that I follow. 

Other than the move, there is not a lot else to report, but I have compiled a list of the errors which the major building society (and still is) which has branches all over the country has made since November, and once we have completion on the move, we will really let loose on them - it runs to 3 pages (admittedly handwritten and with gaps) of A4.

Anyways be that as it may - guitarists on here have a listen to Gabriella Quevedo's latest offering.  She really is very good indeed.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1