Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

OK, so I have given in, and switched to Edge.  No video advert-that's-not-an-advert thing!  Yay!

I dislike Edge as it jumps the screen too fast when scrolling for my taste, sends my eyes funny.  Off to look in settings to see if I can control that.  Edge, not my eyes, they're knackered anyway.

No problems here at all using Firefox (latest version) and uBlock origin - only issue is it slows down when I go to "content I follow" while the site scrolls through the adverts and uBlock filters them - I can live with that.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Grizz said:

Morning All…  ...snip...

09B05A29-9B9C-497F-BEF9-D67FB9147309.jpeg.12fd6204670fae591e1eed2a120bbb1b.jpeg

...snip...

ATB Grizz
PS I am not eating the whole thing, well at least I’m not admitting to it, not whilst reporting in on here anyway anyway…:D

You have to "fly" the Danish flag when you are eating a Danish pastry?? :biggrin_mini: Seriously, I do like the jelly-filled Danish, especially cherry and blueberry. But those in your photos do look good. But now off to Gene's for my Thursday corned beef and cabbage.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A'noon,

The Boss returned home from the dentist in quite a happy mood so things have definitely improved  in that respect. She has still got a couple more (expensive) appointments though before she can join Denplan.

I didn't get down to The Shed and I'm a bit blurry eyed at the moment.  I forgot to mention earlier that I had to go for diabetic eye screening today so still waiting for the drops to wear off.  I'm not actually diabetic and have cut down considerably on lots of nice things (did I mention my liking for butter & marmalade earlier? :rolleyes:) to try and ensure I don't join that club.   In  the past I've been close enough to be advised by my GP that it's not a bad idea to have the test and to watch what and how much I eat.  I do sometimes forget though so need to improve my dietary discipline. 

I journeyed by bus and had forgotten what a carppy noisy rattly experience that is.  Most passengers wearing masks but not all.

Got home to find our small under counter freezer in the kitchen had defrosted.  It sometimes slides out fractionally when you pull the door open and It looks like one of us has leant against it and inadvertently switched it off, probably yesterday.  Luckily not a big disaster as there wasn't too much in it because we were going to defrost it anyway tomorrow.  The bulk of our frozen goods including all the expensive stuff is in our bigger freezer in the conservatory.  

All cleared up now and having a well deserved muggatea.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

We need a vomit button to go with the groan button................................................:bad:

I suspect corned beef and cabbage in the US may not be a tin of Fray Bentos sitting on a Savoy cabbage. I looked it up and it seems to be a stew of beef brisket cooked with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. Irish immigrant community origins apparently. I would eat it!

Edited by Tony_S
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I thought he'd a looked kind of cute but then down here spandex thongs are something different.

image.png.f092f1cad38f23ffb5962f59ec957601.png

"Shudderstock" would seem more apt in this context! :scared:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

... corned beef and cabbage in the US ... seems to be a stew of beef brisket cooked with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. Irish immigrant community origins apparently.

It is indeed Tony - though served more as meat and veg than a stew. It is very popular around the ides of March in pub settings with an "Erin go Bragh" (Éire go Brách) vibe.

As prepared by his late mother, it was a favourite dish of my eldest. It is also familiar in Australia. I am partial to it.

With cabbage is an Irish thing, but corned brisket is much beloved of the descendants of Eastern European immigrants to the US as well. Particularly sliced and piled thick on rye bread with mustard (and a pickle on the side) from Jewish delicatessens. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is also familiar in Australia. I am partial to i

Also called Silverside here, at least in NSW though the internet says that is a slightly different cut.

Have it pretty regularly and with  potatoes, carrots and cabbage too.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

I see that Oregon Statehood Day* (MENSIS FEBRVARIVS, XIV**) is looming for some of our correspondents.

* Admitted to the Union in 1859, coincidentally (in a fit of symmetry afforded by the universe) also the year my true home state became a crown colony independent from the New South Welsh.

** Also Australian decimal currency day in 1966

This is the time of year where (not being obliged to observe the most 'Hallmarky' of all Hallmark Holidays) I politely extend my goodwill in this time of troubles while smirking quietly to myself and thoroughly enjoying the lack of any obligation on my part to commemorate the horrific martyrdom* of an extremely obscure saint by acts of devotion to one's love interest.

* Clubbed, stoned and beheaded (probably)

This year in the US, the blesséd day falls on the day following the (cave-)manliest of all pseudo-holidays and the second biggest food event of the year - Superbowl Sunday.

It makes me imagine the following exchange:

Wife: What are you planning for my Valentine's dinner?

Man: (surprised) Um, Buffalo wings?

Wife: WHAT! Those are left-overs from your Superbowl party!

Man: (contritely) But they are really special buffalo wings. With all the chicken shortages I had to search all over town for them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Grizz said:

Coffee and Cake…more precisely a naked and fully leaded coffee with fresh Danish cake. Sadly I don’t have the name of this exact species of the Danish cake because….. A) I am only in my 30th year of genuine DK cake study and therefore cannot always recognise them by sight……& B) the label fell off the bag.

I can’t say that this is my favourite cake because they are all my favourites. It has occurred to me that Denmark should sue the rest of the planet for sell fake danishes ( or Dani if that is the plural?????) these genuine ones really are the dogs love blobs. 

Coincidentally (watching the US version of "The Chase" on television last night) the question came up:

"What do they call a Danish in Denmark?"

The answer they gave was "wienerbrød" which suggests Americans should really call them "Viennas" but this  term is (apparently) the tip of the flakey, sugary, iceberg.

"Research" leads (in no particular order) to: spandauer, kanelsnegl, højkanelsnegl, direktørsnegl, tebirkes, (including  københavnerbirkes), dagmartærte, kanelstang and wienerbrødsstang. 

Every year in the pre-holiday season I receive a catalogue from a baker of "kringles" - which are similar but annular in shape. I'm not sure if this is the same company - there seem to be a couple of them in Racine, Wisconsin. (Many Scandinavians immigrated to the upper midwest in the 19th century.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Shortened link
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

NOOOOOooooo:scared:

Tis' Ok - Bear knows you do really, but were just too shy to ask.  So here goes......

In other news.....

Squirty stuff applied to the hairline cracks on the lounge ceiling - hopefully I've got them all cos' they have a nasty habit of appearing depending on lighting conditions.  Still, the cracks are hairline so the paint should do a pretty good job as well; Bear Towers is known for some seasonal movement so cracks (whilst f. annoying) are a fact of life that has to be accepted.  Mind you, that seems to be the case in most houses.

Then it was draw a line all around the top of the lounge walls to show where the lower edge of the coving will be; tomorrow will see a criss-cross pattern added with a stanley knife just above the line right around the room - this helps the adhesive get a grip.  Probably unnecessary but certainly doesn't do any harm. 

The M.E. Class at College happened earlier :yahoo:- several guys have not been appearing for the last few weeks and as a consequence we appear to be down to around nine or so turning up.  There is a little concern that the College may get the 'ump at this, although no formal recording takes place and the Tutor won't bubble us to the grown ups.  The Tutor did mention that there has been rumblings "up top" about how much the course is costing to run; they're charging us the princely sum of diddly squat for the year - we were paying ninety five quid a term at the old college so a similar fee at this college (with far better facilities and much longer in the workshop) would be fine by us.  We're just a little concerned that they might pull the plug completely at some point - the chances of finding anywhere else are less than zilch.... :(  A worried Bear.....

And finally.....

Bear needs to sort thru' the Great Unbuilt Kit Mountain (of Everest proportions.....) to identify a suitable etched brass wagon kit to build - that task is firmly on the list for tomorrow.  Bear has decided that painting of the lounge ceiling has slipped to Saturday....

• Like 6
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2