RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2022 at 17:17, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I sat down to watch 'The Repair Shop' this afternoon and the next thing I knew I was watching the following program, I had nodded off. Fortunately the tea I had made at the start of the program was still drinkable, the advantage of loose leaf tea in an infuser. Earlier I was reading an article on tea bags which makes me glad that I no longer use them. All teabags use a certain amount of plastics in the 'paper' that they are made from. Someone tested what happens when boiling water is poured onto the teabag. Their findings were that by pouring hot water on to a single teabag up to 11.6billion microplastic and 3.1 billion nanoplastic particles were released into the water and much of it is absorbed into the body. Thats the equivalent of a credit card every week.

That was the case but because of 'complaints' most of the companies now no longer use plastic in their tea-bags.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It's looking like Plan 2 is slightly ahead at the moment;  whilst most (if not all) won't spot Plan 1 being used,  Bear will know it's wrong - and that'll p1ss me off.

That's the bit that always bites me in the aRse - KNOWING it's wrong even if the casual observer can't immediately see it - turdycurses... good luck with whatever choice!

• Like 3
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Raise the other rails, the long rail looks a lot better at that height. JMNSHO!

Then I'd have a lot more holes to cover :(

The lower rail height is "the norm", which is at 1/3rd of the ceiling height.  If I raise the lower rails it'd also cause issues with the rail that's below the window.

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Bear...you are ok....take a deep breath bud. 

Question? Do you have any beer? I know that this is on a different scale to my iPad unpleasantness but....hear me out.....life looks better when looking through the bottom of a glass full of beer!!! Several for preference!!!! 

Just my opinion for what it is worth...I’d move the shorter pieces if I had to move anything because the longer length I would guess is going to be more visible in the room......for what it is worth....

gutted for you mate. Join me in a virtual beer????

Bear doesn't drink - so I have extra cake instead.  Seems like a fair swap, plus no (a) hangover next morning, (b) LDC is much cheaper than a pint, (c) when's the last time you heard of a Bear being charged for driving a motor vehicle whilst under the influence of cake?

When it happened (around 3pm) I downed tools and stopped; I learnt a while back that DIY with the 'ump isn't a good combination.  I'm in ponder mode at the moment, waiting for that sudden brainwave to arrive before deciding what to do next.

Virtual Beer?  Sounds good, but I'll swap mine for a virtual Jammie Dodger instead......

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

With either Plans 1 or 2 (and I agree with Grizz re it's easier to move shorter pieces), if you can't fill the holes finely enough, could you hide them behind something? I don't recall what your plans for the walls were but I'm speculating whether a strip of patterned wallpaper - maybe something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallpaper-Borders/b?node=1938839031 would work? OK, a little more expense and work, especially if you do the other walls  but possibly an easy get out of jail free card? 

Thanks Rabbit - an interesting option....

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

- so I have extra cake instead. 

We will think of you tomorrow. We will be seeing some family members in Enfield tomorrow as it is MiL’s birthday. Aditi had made a birthday cake of the chocolate fudge variety. My niece had made some cakes for her Brownie baking badge. Her cakes have to be tested and evaluated. She also cooked lunch for her Mum and sister today. Spaghetti Carbonara accompanied by a tomato and mozzarella salad. Her Dad missed out as he was at work but as a vegetarian wouldn’t have eaten the spaghetti carbonara anyway. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear doesn't drink - so I have extra cake instead … when's the last time you heard of a Bear being charged for driving a motor vehicle whilst under the influence of cake?

There is a condition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-brewery_syndrome

where a person produces intoxicating amounts of ethanol within their own body. 

One of the possible underlying causes of the condition is “diets high in carbohydrates” e.g. eating lots of cake!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There was such a thing when we were in the EU. I think six years was the time. However I have no idea if iPads were included in such EU implied warranty or what the case is now. 

9 hours ago, Grizz said:

My iPad was well looked after but got got a lot of use. I’ve had numerous iPads over the years. Some basic ones for work, some quite high end work ones. All have lasted years...but not 2 years 2 weeks then dead! 

A replacement for the model I had is going to come in around £300,  that includes a discount through my son with some arrangement through work!?!?!. 

Ive pretty much made up my mind that I’m just gonna have to bite the bullet and get a replacement, as I need it for work more then anything. Ah given the state of things in the world....Ain’t no big deal really.

Surely there must be some consumer provisions  there that covers reasonable expectation that an Ipad  will last longer than that?

Here the government holds  manufacturers advertising claims about the quality etc of their products to account  by creating a law that means in say Apples case that because its always touting its high quality etc as a reason for purchasing an Apple product, the user should expect a reasonable number of years out of it, above the standard 1 year that Apple implies is reasonable given its 1 year warranty..

Apple cant have it both ways , they cant use "quality" and their annoying air  of superiority over their  competition as a reason to charge a premium if when it breaks after 2 years Apple then say that 1 year of trouble free use  is all you should expect, like its a $99 Chinese Android tablet. (Which usually  last for ever in my experience..)

If someones Ipad died here after 2 years and Apple didnt come to the party a threat to lodge a complaint with the ACCC (Australian Competition and  Consumer Commission) is usually enough to get things handled rather differently!

Heres a general rundown in how it works here:

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's chairman Graeme Samuel says this means that many goods come with a statutory guarantee against the supplier that lasts longer than the manufacturer's warranty.

"Sometimes you'll see manufacturer's warranties that may only be for three, six or 12 months in total, whereas the retailer's guarantee under the consumer guarantees can sometimes extend beyond that, having regard to the nature of the product and its intended use," Mr Samuel told ABC News Online.

In determining what is an appropriate period for a guarantee to apply, the law forces courts to consider the nature of the goods, the price of the goods, and statements made about the goods either on the packaging or by the supplier or manufacturer.

In layman's terms, that means a consumer can expect a longer legal guarantee to apply for goods that generally last a long time, that are relatively expensive, and where any claims are made about the quality and/or durability of the product by either the salesperson or manufacturer.

For example, if consumers generally buy a television with a reasonable expectation for it to last five years, then they may have a statutory guarantee against the retailer that lasts substantially longer than the one year manufacturer's warranty.

If the TV is a more expensive brand, especially one that makes claims about its quality and durability, it will be held to a higher standard of quality and durability under the ACL than a home brand that is half the price and does not make similar claims.

ACL guarantees mean consumers should not hesitate in taking a product back to the place they bought it if the good has a defect or failure that is unusual given its age, even if the warranty period has expired.

The ACCC or state departments of fair trading will help consumers if retailers refuse to honour their legal requirements.

"If we find that a retailer is not honouring the obligations imposed on the retailer under the consumer guarantee provisions of the Australia consumer law then the ACCC will take action to deal with those issues," Mr Samuel said.

Commercial law academics say the Australian Consumer Law largely makes extended warranties redundant, as consumers will often have legal protection against defects in the goods beyond the manufacturer's normal warranty anyway.

Many consumers are currently unaware of the law but from next year retailers will be required by regulations to display a notice that informs customers they have rights beyond any contractual rights included in a warranty.

Mr Samuel warns businesses that informing customers of their legal rights is in an area the ACCC will be strongly enforcing.

"One of the areas where the ACCC has taken prosecutorial action has been in circumstances where retailers are representing to consumers that they have more limited rights than are currently available under the law," he said.

"It's important we think for, first of all, there to be no misrepresentation as to the rights of consumers but, secondly, for consumers to be made aware of their rights so that they're not beguiled into believing or misled into believing, through even the lack of information, that their only right is that, for example, of the printed manufacturer's warranty."

The ACL also prohibits unfair contract terms in standard form contracts, such as those commonly issued with gym memberships or phone plans.

AS stated above, it also makes extended warranties such as Applecare or those ones that shops try to sell you for an extra couple of hundred dollars redundant since the consumer is already covered by this law after the statuary one year lapses. Shops rarely tell you that though and still try to add extended warranties to any purchase of TV's, computers etc!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BoD said:

Perhaps it was part of the planning permissions and they were forced to do so,   perhaps they felt it the right thing to do,  or, in true spoons style, perhaps it was the cheapest option.   Whatever the reason, they have preserved many features that may otherwise have been lost.

Er. No.

Most of their conversions cost more than a straightforward strip out and re-decorate like other pub chains.

As regarding unusual conversions, the one in Hexham (The Forum) was and still is a cinema:

forum.JPG.f5027e40a526e119cdc3ed5852bc13c2.JPG

The left hand doors take you into the Cinema, the middle and right hand ones take you into 'Spoons.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Spot the difference - to the left is the 3m rail that's too high; one option would be to raise the short length to the right of the door frame (the bit above the bucket) - as it's separated by 90 degrees and the smaller cupboard door it'll most likely be un-noticed when compared to the bit on the far right of the picture.

1347057878_IMG_24401.JPG.e50a4199ae344a80828baf492c007eb1.JPG

P

Look on the bright side mate, you might have chosen to do civil engineering.

image.png.e64d8e9f52bcf5a20a37a9be9590492c.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Er. No.

Most of their conversions cost more than a straightforward strip out and re-decorate like other pub chains.

As regarding unusual conversions, the one in Hexham (The Forum) was and still is a cinema:

forum.JPG.f5027e40a526e119cdc3ed5852bc13c2.JPG

The left hand doors take you into the Cinema, the middle and right hand ones take you into 'Spoons.

Despite my cynicism I was trying to give them credit for what they do.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve had quite a busy day today, a walk to the butchers first, then off to collect Ava. Once we’d had a drink, she then went into the dining room with Sheila to do some sewing. I on the other hand, walked into the village centre to collect Sheila’s medication and a few items from Sainsbury’s. 

After dinner, Charlie called round and he and I spent the rest of the afternoon in the workshop. He carried on painting his model whilst I attempted to glue some control horns of the 1/72 scale DH Tiger Moth, I managed to get 2 on, but lost 4 more due to the very small size of each one, so it looks like I’ll need to scratch build at least 2 more, assuming I don’t lose anymore. 

As I mentioned earlier, both Charlie and Ava were staying for tea and after an hour’s or so chat afterwards I took them home. Sheila came along for the ride and we ended up chatting with Vicky and Evie for a very pleasant 30 minutes. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

That was the case but because of 'complaints' most of the companies now no longer use plastic in their tea-bags.

As of Jan 2022 many teabags still contain plastic including ones by: Asda, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, M&S, Tetley & Twining, accounting for much of the market.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 13/04/2022 at 09:17, PhilJ W said:

Someone tested what happens when boiling water is poured onto the teabag. Their findings were that by pouring hot water on to a single teabag up to 11.6billion microplastic and 3.1 billion nanoplastic particles were released into the water and much of it is absorbed into the body.

Late last month the internet was awash with stories that microplastics were detected in human blood for the first time (not just the digestive system) - based on a newly published paper "Discovery and quantification of plastic particle pollution in human blood"

This story happens to be the first hit (from The Guardian)

Microplastic pollution has been detected in human blood for the first time, with scientists finding the tiny particles in almost 80% of the people tested.

It's everywhere. It's even been found near the sources of wild streams here - upstream from any human habitation source, like microfibers from laundry, which is one of the largest sources in water.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

Various commentators on the radio this morning are predicting heavy traffic on the roads.  I plan to make a modest addition to it by driving to Oxfordshire to visit Pendon Museum.  On the way I hope to have breakfast at a nearby garden centre.  Goodness, it must be three years since I last did so.  What of the remainder of the weekend?  Dare I brave the great outdoors and check on the garden?  It has been a while since I set foot in it, much less tended it, and I rather dread what I may find.  Let us not worry about that until the morrow.

Chris

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, polybear said:

…to the left is the 3m rail that's too high; one option would be to raise the short length to the right of the door frame (the bit above the bucket) - as it's separated by 90 degrees and the smaller cupboard door it'll most likely be un-noticed when compared to the bit on the far right of the picture.

Plan 2 is to drop the 3m length to the right place

Actually Bear, I did a lot of research when I was building my Georgian Terraced Houses and can say - with some authority - that the long rail is at about the right height.

As others have pointed out, the role of such a rail was (is) to prevent chair-backs from denting the wall/damaging the wallpaper. And as you have pointed out yourself, raising the short length of rail would be far less problematic and cosmetically noticeable than faffing around re-siting the long rail.

Just my two-pennorth.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

Good morning all,

Today is my last day of “freedom“ as the doggies and Mrs iD will be returning from the holiday hovel tomorrow afternoon. Mind you, this time I will be very happy to see them back.

But this leaves me between a rock and a hard place: do I indulge in myself and do absolutely naff all today, or do I finish reorganising my electrics stores (lightbulbs, extension cords, fuses, et cetera) and the Japanese room (so called as it was furnished as a spare bedroom in a minimalistic Japanese style, complete with futon, before being turned over to clothes storage/library extension). 

Our “Japanese“ room is an interesting anomaly: I think it would be what in Britain you would call a box room, but when we bought the house the room was designated as a bedroom (so the house officially has two and a half bedrooms). As it is adjacent to the master bedroom, at one point we were thinking of bricking up the door to the Japanese room and turning it into a walk in dressing room for Mrs ID and all her clothes (and bedlinen, and……). Mrs iD eventually settled for a built-in wardrobe for the bedroom.

Finally, both my guitar-playing and modelling mojos have returned: I am slowly building up muscle strength and calluses whilst refreshing my fretboard knowledge (currently woeful), whilst this afternoon will see a continuation of the Signal Box build I have promised someone on ER.

Enjoy your Friday

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1