RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry and sunny this morning but predicted to cloud over. Pollen count is 'moderate' so I should be able to get out a zonk the weeds. Apart for a run down to Tess Coes for bread and milk thats about it for today. Muggatee awaits so its be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Well that went quicker than expected.  Tax return filed within an hour.  Spreadsheet updated for next years return so that entries can be filled in as and when.   Only drawback.  I suspect that lawn mowing will be mentioned.  Beth is doing the weed patches near the house as I type.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Morning all 

Back to normal routine with the school run. Chaos outside as new footpaths are being built but in 2 weeks holiday not much has been done why not leave it till the summer holidays. 

Arrgh No. Yes. No.

That would be the next quarters budget that would.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

At last, one bedroom is finished, cleared, redecorated, and ready for use - and just to prove it - here's an image.

It does look good, even though I say so myself.

That big wardrobe was an absolute b*gger to reassemble.

Regards to All

Stewart

IMG_0825.JPG

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

And here I thought that it was a phonebooth!

2 hours ago, 45156 said:

It's bigger than a phonebooth

My first thought was 'TARDIS'.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see you back @iL Dottore. I posted this a few days ago, I feel sorry for the dog having such uncaring owners.

image.png.70c4f9d81b20580128b3141e588a66d3.png

As I said before, its behaviour is more likely due to how its been treated and/or bred. If it bites children its probably due to the children being allowed to torment it. If I were to find the dog I would either keep it or rehome it.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

Greetings all from a grey Sidcup where I am working from home although the rest of the house is working at school!

I am another who particularly enjoyed the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and found the maps enhanced the tale. I read a reasonable amount but have never got on with the classics, far preferring some science fiction and fantasy books. I am currently re-reading the Dune books having been given them for Christmas. I'd agree with iD that the first is by far the best.

I also like maps and while I do not have Gwiwer's ability I did, as a child, memorise the Singapore A-Z and was able to guide my Mum around. We went on a school trip to the zoo and had to write about it - mine was read out to the whole school because of the detail - mainly the route we took. I suspect it was a bit light on what animals we saw though! I was 7 at the time. I was able to find the route of the school bus from my house to where the school was in those days using google street view. Singapore has changed an awful lot in those intervening 45+ years and the school has moved site (the Brunei embassy is now there) but I was quite surprised to be able to do it

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

iD's back!!!  😁😁😁

And Lucy's OK 😁😁😁

And Bear has finished fitting the last architrave 😁.....temporarily.  Now to remove them, give them a light sand then an extra coat of primer/undercoat as the existing stuff is a bit thin in places.  I would've done that this afternoon, but fortunately, sorry, I did mean unfortunately it's raining - so I can't.  Did that sound convincing?

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well I think I have just guaranteed us rain I have watered the plant tubs and the grass seeded areas ably hindered by a certain little doggy trying to drink the watered it came out of the watering can despite the fact he has a bowl of water filled up. He now has a wet head and wet ears.

Back to books I like Stephen King's work but some of his later ones I haven't read

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

.... Overall things going extremely well, with one setback Friday night....

Sunday a different story, feeling much better, able to get around very well and eat some light fare. Definitely an improvement over Saturday. By mid-afternoon was moving around as if nothing had been "done" and much perkier. Several friends stopped over with comestibles and a quick "hello". Much cheerier Mrs by the evening, and the pain has going down significantly anyway so all for the better.

Today - she has her first PT, so I'm the taxi service, and is already up and active, walking occasionally (approved, so don't panic) without the zimmer-frame <smile> ...

Good news. I hope things continue to go well. It's always easier when you can move about a bit, even if you have to be sensible and take it steady. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Catching up - all this talk of unfinished books: for me, the only one I've tried and definitely given up is the hobbit. Maybe if I'd read it when I was much younger. But I have a number of "must have another try books" - Proust, Ulysses, Finnegans Wake. Currently I'm reading Proust volume 4 (title omitted to ovoid offence) - it was the first which came to hand after volume 1. I had got as far as volume 5 in the past, but gave up.

Mostly, I prefer easier novels - Discworld (but not other novels by Sir Pterry), The science of discworld, anything by Flann O' Brien.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My favourite books are crime novels and I've been reading quite a few over lockdown, so many that I will have to take them down to the charity shop soon to create more space. A favourite is Michael Connolly but I do like the more lighter authors such as Carl Hiaasen who I have mentioned before here on ER's.   

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Dune (first novel) was enjoyable - the sequels, less so.

5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I am currently re-reading the Dune books having been given them for Christmas. I'd agree with iD that the first is by far the best.

Yes. Very much so on both those comments. I found Dune to be outstanding, but each sequel got progressively less so. I don't know if I read them all.

I am looking forward to the conclusion of the recent film adaptation. I thought it very good.

Frank Herbert is from Tacoma, Washington and lived some of his formative years in Oregon. Apparently the inspiration for Arrakis can be found in Oregon.

He later told Willis E. McNelly that the novel originated when he was assigned to write a magazine article about sand dunes in the Oregon Dunes near Florence, Oregon. 

Which is curious because the Oregon Dunes (which is quite a lovely place to visit) are adjacent to the Pacific Ocean and can be quite damp.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(Terry Pratchett was one such author “pounced upon”

So I have been assured by a great many fans of his.  I don't get on with something - whether it be his style of writing, humour or his version of reality.  Tom Sharpe, on the other hand, has the uncommon ability to have me in stitches.  Douglas Adams is Marmite - HHGTTG was a masterpiece and the Restaurant at the End of the Universe almost so as a sequel.  The rest do very little for me and his Dirk Gently novels are perhaps best forgotten.  His close-to-the-bone writing also struck a chord with me; printing the (apparently actual) phone number of a former girlfriend associated with a cafe in Rickmansworth and the use of "Hotblack Desiato by kind pernission of Hotblack Desiato"  The latter was nothing to do with an intergalactic character but was the name of the landlord from whom Adams rented his Islington flat.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3