The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

When I turned on the television today, I was shocked (in a pleasant way) to see the green grass of Nottingham, rather than the red clay of continental tennis courts which I've been accustomed to seeing every day for the last couple of months.

On one of the outer courts (near the road) I noticed some sort of light rail. I'm guessing this to be the Nottingham Express Transit along University Blvd / A6005. The stock configuration reminded me of Portland's TriMet Max (though the equipment is different).

I was struck by the uniformity of traffic on the road - almost entirely composed of vehicles in the shape of compact/crossover utility vehicles (CUV)s. There were some sedans and of course smaller hatchbacks, but I found it remarkable how similar every vehicle looked. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, BoD said:

We’ve locked up the women, children, and ham and peas pudding stotties.

I think your safe as he said he's coming to the best county in the world and as every Lancastrian knows that's Lancashire.

Mind you as the Northwest has now been officially relocated to just north of Birmingham, Consett may now actually be in the best county in the world.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear likes....

Let's see now - USD Forks, Brembo Brakes, Wheels, Monoshock Conversion, Exhaust capable of waking the dead, cut-down seat......dribble dribble.

However....

Bear's is metallic blue - which as everyone knows is The Fastest Colour......

In other news.....

It seems that a certain Bozo won't be looking for another job just yet......

Yer missed the single sided swinging arm!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear likes....

Let's see now - USD Forks, Brembo Brakes, Wheels, Monoshock Conversion, Exhaust capable of waking the dead, cut-down seat......dribble dribble.

However....

Bear's is metallic blue - which as everyone knows is The Fastest Colour......

In other news.....

It seems that a certain Bozo won't be looking for another job just yet......

2059927064_20220605_1411401.thumb.jpg.e72e3411da29333ab32d3e2f0488e167.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I know it's the modern way but they just look plain W R O N G to Puppers!

Anyway, who needs a swinging arm?   Every one knows real bikes have girder forks, rigid frames and a big puddle of oil underneath!

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Mind you as the Northwest has now been officially relocated to just north of Birmingham,

I noticed that.  Couldn’t help give a little chuckle.

Some misguided people though, still insist on calling Leeds the North East when it is in fact down in the South West.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I dont know if the Australian people in general viewed the communist threat as a big bogeyman or whether the government tried to make it one for us like in the US, I do recall maps showing a black stain creeping down IndoChina in our direction but they did look a bit like the same maps used in WW2 to describe the Japanese Army, with "Japanese Army" rubbed out and "Communist Threat" written in its place. 

The "Domino Theory" was still accepted political theory at the time - and I remember covering it in a history class.

Suharto was supported in Indonesia, because he 'opposed' the Indonesian Communist party.

The Vietnam war was current, but the first "Malayan Emergency" was not long over. Australia contributed heavily to the British campaign. Even the new Federation of Malaysia (joined with North Borneo and Sarawak) in 1963 didn't prevent the second Malayan Emergency (beginning in 1968) and tensions with Indonesia.

As you know the colonial-era hangovers (in places like Timor-Leste) are hardly over.

While in primary school I remember my mum asking me if anyone had ever given me Chairman Mao's "Little Red Book" to read. I thought she was nuts. (There was probably one of those scaremongering stories on the news about communist propaganda and school children.) So yes, the communist threat was perceived as real.

Dad was in the navy reserve and served on a supply convoy (on the old HMAS Sydney / R17) to the South China Sea, presumably Vũng Tàu*. While mum visited me a few years ago I watched Ken Burn's documentary on the Vietnam war. She found it disturbing to hear all the place names again.

* HMAS Sydney

... in 1965, she sailed on the first voyage to Vũng Tàu, transporting soldiers and equipment to serve in the Vietnam War. 25 voyages to Vietnam were made between 1965 and 1972, earning the ship the nickname "Vung Tau Ferry".

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I know it's the modern way but they just look plain W R O N G to Puppers!

Anyway, who needs a swinging arm?   Every one knows real bikes have girder forks, rigid frames and a big puddle of oil underneath!

What's the latest instalment on the Beeza Puppers?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

What's the latest instalment on the Beeza Puppers?

Currently looking (but not very hard it has to be said) for cam followers and big-end.   Must get in contact with "Crankcase Repair Man"  and arrange for the replacement crankcase mods to be done (reduce throat diameter and re-locate cylinder head bolt mountings).

Anyone happen to have a couple of old BMW air-head cam follows going spare?    I think they are very slightly larger diameter but similar style to the Beeza's and it might be possible to adapt them to fit.

They look like this ...

image.png.705f08c07aaed5439cbd0ec91dfba497.png

Otherwise it ain't going nowhere  😢

• Friendly/supportive 11

49 minutes ago, BoD said:

I noticed that.  Couldn’t help give a little chuckle.

Some misguided people though, still insist on calling Leeds the North East when it is in fact down in the South West.

That would be to the south of Birmingham then. Don't do south as the people talk funny.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Watched Springwatch this evening, quite fascinating feature on badgers including the first film of a sow giving birth and rearing her young. On the wildlife front I can hear the noises made by the fox cubs but the little fellow hasn't come back to scratch on the glass this evening but he still has plenty of time. So Bozo's safe for another year then, better the devil we know I suppose but I doubt it will change his party's fortunes.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Currently looking (but not very hard it has to be said) for cam followers and big-end.   Must get in contact with "Crankcase Repair Man"  and arrange for the replacement crankcase mods to be done (reduce throat diameter and re-locate cylinder head bolt mountings).

Anyone happen to have a couple of old BMW air-head cam follows going spare?    I think they are very slightly larger diameter but similar style to the Beeza's and it might be possible to adapt them to fit.

They look like this ...

image.png.705f08c07aaed5439cbd0ec91dfba497.png

Otherwise it ain't going nowhere  😢

Look like biro pen caps with holes in them to me Puppers. Your welcome to the caps but l'd like the pens back if you don't mind.

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Bozo survives, but with the size of the rebellion, is severely weakened ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/06/06/general-increase-continuing/

Great when students actually take part.  Engaged on first date - wow.  Young son managed it in St James Palace on the day he picked up his DoE Gold Award.  Agree that credible alternative is non currently viable and seems to have been extremely personally quiet at present.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

That would be to the south of Birmingham then. Don't do south as the people talk funny.

Can't be south 'cos its norf of Watford.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well shopping has been shipped and the cupboards are positively groaning. Once all the items had been stored away, I spent a short time browsing Ebay, my finger slipped and ended up purchasing 4 Hornby Maunsell coaches for a very good price of £80. These will donors for 4 etched brass overlays for 2 TPO vans and 2 TPO storage vans that I intend to build. I definitely think I’m doing my bit to boost the country’s economy! 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

' evening all from red dragon land.

The beginning of One song in one hundred locations.

Location 1 Workshop - in an old standard gauge carriage.

Yesterday, seems so long ago. Too much toot on the flute, today! Not until this evening's session did anything sound even reasonably good. Ah well. Nothing new!

It all started yesterday, when I took in my bamboo flute to play my first Indian song to one of the staff (as promised last week) in the Conwy Valley Railway Museum shop.  I had not expected to go because someone was going to be there while Ray drove the train, only it turned out he was not going to be there, after all, so I made a rash last minute decision and went along instead.

Not wanting to make my first drive in a year in the rain, I sat in the first carriage and enjoyed the ride!  It was not long before lunch when I bit the inside of the lip when talking while eating a bacon bap. Ouch! Indeed! That put playing the flute out of the question - perhaps if I recorded it instead?  In the Workshop, I made umpteen attempts and, eventually, got someway into a far from perfect video when Ray popped in... distracted I ended the video but what was there was OKish and I did manage to play a full round of the song before I left - not recorded because the 'phone battery was now too low!

Armed with the iPhone, I wandered across to the shop and played my little demo, lip still feeling sore...  I promised I would play in person next time I am there, "You will have to play outside by the door with your hat out there!" she said. Many words exchanged on that score!  But it got me thinking - time to up my game and reel off from memory those tricky Exercises I have been learning!  So that is what I have started to do (trying to, anyhow) the best part of the day.

Location 2 Outside on the rails

I had the fun of playing the song in the carriage when Ray drove the train back to the Shed. Hard not to be distracted on a bumpy seat, going up hill and round a bend with the sound of the petrol engine in front!

Back home, it was good to watch others doing their bit on Britain's Got Talent Show and then the Jubilee Party later.

Gwydir Castle departing the shed

Departing the Shed, yesterday morning, sitting in the carriage which was to be the
location for my toot on the flute at the end of the day.

CVR 2022 06 05 station, museum and shop

Brolly weather! The museum shop will have to wait for my next toot on the flute.

IMG_5376.thumb.JPG.93435d368167401504148162c317e94c.JPG

Heading round to the station. Betws y Coed mainline station in the distance.
Bridge left of centre crosses over the pond.

Time for a mugacocoa so ' night all and nos da.

Polly

• Like 19

This was the answer to a clue in a crossword I was doing yesterday. It virtually filled itself in through other clues - I would never have guessed it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_sundae

and that led on to this other delight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_ice_cream

(Note what’s given as the source of the idea!)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, southern42 said:

...snip... Departing the Shed, yesterday morning, sitting in the carriage which was to be the

location for my toot on the flute at the end of the day.

CVR 2022 06 05 station, museum and shop

...snip...

Polly

What gauge is that? It looks quite narrow.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do an edit.
  • Like 7