RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

He’s beyond Barking, Peter. He’s gone full Dagenham – three stops beyond Barking

Dagenham Girl Pipers have been mentioned before in dispatches 😂

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

He’s beyond Barking, Peter. He’s gone full Dagenham – three stops beyond Barking

Ah, the old Mornington Crescent play. Cunning, very cunning ... but of course.... 

Sadly, the frames of my four legged friends are on a different database. However, I hope these will be of 'interest':

Dachshunds.jpg.231f58cf0695aa62058f5dd82a83f2b4.jpg

Dog_12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS.png.599c8a2c46a327af1d62bd1af05c5997.png

Collar, lead, gone .... 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 10

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Having had flights in private aircraft, the last being a jolly down to Portugal in a recently restored DC3, I wonder how much such aircraft really do contribute to environmental degradation.

Very little I suspect. The whole aircraft sector is responsible for 2.1% - 2.5% of anthropogenic CO2.

They are much smaller and fewer - though they do produce significantly more CO2 on a per passenger km basis, since they are happy to fly faster (burning more fuel than more efficient speeds) and have very small passenger loads. (My back of the envelope calculations suggest private jets represent 4% of aviation CO2 emissions - 33.7Mt of CO2 in 2016.)

Aviation is 12% of transportation CO2 emissions (road transport being the largest share at 75%). Shipping is about 11% of transportation emissions.

As a comparison, concrete is responsible for 8% of all global CO2 emissions - not to mention the global shortage of suitable sand*, which after water is the second most consumed raw material. 

* Construction sand comes from estuarine and littoral environments. Desert sand is not as suitable - it's too smooth.

Using a third less concrete would do more for the planet than eliminating jet aircraft altogether.

Addressing anthropogenic climate change should focus on the biggest problems - fossil-fueled electricity and fossil-fueled road transportation, which combined are likely about 45% of emissions.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very little I suspect. The whole aircraft sector is responsible for 2.1% - 2.5% of anthropogenic CO2.

They are much smaller and fewer - though they do produce significantly more CO2 on a per passenger km basis, since they are happy to fly faster (burning more fuel than more efficient speeds) and have very small passenger loads. (My back of the envelope calculations suggest private jets represent 4% of aviation CO2 emissions - 33.7Mt of CO2 in 2016.)

Aviation is 12% of transportation CO2 emissions (road transport being the largest share at 75%). Shipping is about 11% of transportation emissions.

As a comparison, concrete is responsible for 8% of all global CO2 emissions - not to mention the global shortage of suitable sand*, which after water is the second most consumed raw material. 

* Construction sand comes from estuarine and littoral environments. Desert sand is not as suitable - it's too smooth.

Using a third less concrete would do more for the planet than eliminating jet aircraft altogether.

Addressing anthropogenic climate change should focus on the biggest problems - fossil-fueled electricity and fossil-fueled road transportation, which combined are likely about 45% of emissions.

How much can the average person really do?  We listen and react to all the advice and statistics but in the end, having done our collective bit, theres not a lot more that can be done.  Things won't improve overnight and it will take many years before any improvement will be noticeable.  Apparently we are at the set limit already and still churning out destructive gases and burning coal on an industrial scale.  There have been warnings now for years with no real action taken and the likelihood of trying to tell the general public the hard facts will not be undertaken lightly.  Already the high prices of groceries and petrol not forgetting baby formula have induced widespread  anger, as though anything could be done about it!  Wait till everyone figures out that this is the way it will be.

Unless somebody has some good ideas!🤔

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

A lot of the problem with high prices is the cost of energy and fuel adding to production and distribution costs.

I believe the baby formula problem is exacerbated by the Abbott Laboratories shut down who are a major producer although I believe their plant has been able to re open

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

After a long absence I am now back, with luck for the foreseeable future. Since I last appeared here I have been trying to shake off the black dog, which has not been helped by having to deal with with my 99 year old Dad. A few months ago he had another fall and had to have his hands and arms bandaged so he came to stay with us just in time for Jill and I both to catch Covid. Dad then caught it but instead of it just being like having a cold, which was Jill's and my experience,  he developed pneumonia and after a bit of a battle with the health authorities he was taken into hospital. After some considerable time he was declared to have recovered medically but by then his mobility had diminished to the extent that he had to be assisted getting in and out of bed. As a result he was taken into a community hospital in Ludlow for recuperation, which meant a 120 mile round trip for us to go and see him, but after several weeks the physiotherapists declared that they had not been able to improve his mobility and he would have to be moved, either back home or to a care home. About three weeks ago he was taken to a home just six miles from us and since then I have been occupied with all the legal and financial stuff involved that I won't go into but suffice it to say that they are long and drawn out and won't be resolved for a long time yet.

There have been a few bright spots, though, one of which is that I have managed to keep my modelling interest going and made progress with my layout and I thank the good Lord for my hobby, which has been a tremendous help in getting me through what has been a cra**y few months. Being back with RMW will also help I think, although whether I will be posting as much as before remains to be seen.

Anyway, there it is and here I am.

Dave

We will be here, if not all at the same time. Just take care of yourself and know that we will be thinking of you. If you can enjoy our drivel all the better.

Polly

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Whilst I may have the occasional silly idea and mishap I am somewhat disappointed that you think that I am brain dead and stupid enough to attempt something like that. 😂

In other news no doggies here but Steve's cat TP has been in the wars again and got a nasty gash on his back so he's got to wear a collar and is confined to barracks for a few days:

image.png.b8fb75e32d3354493ea1bff3dff1be23.png

Like the collar, seems that it stops him scratching but allows him to see what's going on.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This triggered a comment Marples as Transport Minister was a motor/lorry man and pushed the downfall of rail travel by very much 'encouraging' lorry use ... Beeching just completed the job of making railways 'disappear'.

Edited by PeterBB
spelling correction
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

By mid-afternoon, yesterday turned into a nicer day than expected - sunny and warmer than forecast. I *should* have got out and made something of it.

Today sees a heavy overcast and is very dark. It looks like it could rain, but walking to the mailbox, doesn't feel like it is imminent. Rain is forecast for this evening. Honestly, just having typed that, light rain is now falling. (Good job I am not a meteorologist.)

Two Royal Canadian Navy Kingston class vessels (HMCS Edmonton and HMCS Brandon) arrived yesterday for Portland's version of "fleet week" in time for the first annual Rose Festival since the pandemic started.  The USN is sending an Independence class LCS (LCS-4 USS Coronado) and a Zumwalt class destroyer (DDG 1001 USS Michael Monsoor) which are supposed to arrive today. 'Traditionally' it *always* rains for the Rose Festival and the "Grand Floral Parade" is forecast to be very wet.

It would be interesting to see the Zumwalt class close up, though I'm not sure I will be motivated sufficiently to subject myself to crowds etc. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening ..yes it was my arthritic fingers giving an "n" not a "b".

Been busy ..After my shopping excursions I then mowed the lawn followed by 3 hours of cricket admin phone calls. Washing has been sorted.

Another meeting with an ECB employee tomorrow.. so no ironing time available.

I talked to youngest Herbert. He played in a T20 game on Tuesday. Seven fours in his 14 ball 28 runs.. and he grabbed another catch.

Off to drink my night-time  decaf.

Glad to hear from @Dave Huntand also from @Kelly.  Hopefully your lives will improve in the near future..  

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

There have been a few bright spots, though, one of which is that I have managed to keep my modelling interest going and made progress with my layout and I thank the good Lord for my hobby, which has been a tremendous help in getting me through what has been a cra**y few months. Being back with RMW will also help I think, although whether I will be posting as much as before remains to be seen.

Anyway, there it is and here I am.

Dave

Welcome back Dave - we have missed you.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

All this doggone thing that has triggered our Hattie and found this photograph - not with us for a long time now but was fantastic and a friend painted a portrait that hangs on the wall..

Hattie July 2008.JPG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Well what a day this has been. It started off badly.

So we went for our long walk and what did DD do but find a dead rabbit. So there I am chasing DD trying to get her to drop it. Hilarious not. Anyway she eventually decides that she's had enough and appears without it. Touch wood no I'll affects so far but not seeing how much of the rabbit remained I don't know if or any of it was consumed. The next few days will be interesting to say the least.

Next up ear adjustment time. Fortunately there are still two and both are intact. 

Finally we get to grass cutting in the rain and no that isn't set to music.

So all in all not the best of days but at least Mr Hunt is back with us so that's something to cheer about.

On that positive note I'm off to bed with the hope that tomorrow will be a better day.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

This news story is right out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

CNN: Two people rescued after falling in tank full of chocolate in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Two people were rescued after falling into a tank full of chocolate at the Mars M&M factory in Pennsylvania Thursday, officials said.

Other than wall-to-wall coverage of "The Hill" this evening, I wonder if late night television will insert at least one Augustus Gloop reference - assuming those involved recover.

It actually sounds a bit nasty:

"Fire crews have eliminated pulling them straight out of a tank," Brad Wolfe, communications supervisor for Lancaster County 911 dispatch, told CNN earlier on Thursday. "They have to cut a hole in the side of the tank to get them out," he said.

Hopefully both will be OK, however they ended up there.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13