The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine again. Currently 16  18°C but possibly getting as high as 28°C so today I will be staying mainly in the shade except for a walk after breakfast.

Although I'm isolating I am actually allowed out for some exercise as long as I avoid other people so a brief stroll round our little local recreation ground will be attempted.  I might even go for two laps if it's not too hot. There's never many people there on a weekday apart from the occasional dog walker.

One or two minor domestic tasks need doing including Shark wielding and I've also got some shredding to do.  (Paper,  not guitar).  Hopefully after my op I may even be able to pick up my guitars again and get some semblance of a tune out although it's been so long that I've probably forgotten everything in my sparse repertoire.

Sounds like Herself is on the way down so "getting a move on" will soon be the order of the day.

Have a good one and keep cool,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
Temp already increased since I started post!
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Simply a suggestion, here, Bob.  Just pick up one guitar. Then play something short and simple, a little and often. Say once or twice a day to start with. Don't worry what it sounds like at first, it will get better in time.

Play 1 or 2 times.  Put guitar away. 

Next time: 2 times, then (optional) 1 time.

Gradually (depending on recovery) work up to 4 + 2 + 1 times.

Think quality rather than quantity.

Repeat little phrases, bars, rather than the whole thing where needed.

Play slower than you might want to play.

Enjoy making something sound good, no matter how little that is to start with, and make that one thing better still.

Here speaks someone playing with a screw attached to the elbow!

The 4 + 2 + 1 (8 + 4 + 2 + 1) times I learnt from the online flute course. It is something that has helped me play and progress in ways I could not imagine

But as I said, it is only a suggestion but if it any of it helps...but most of all - do not over do it!😀

Polly

Great tips, Polly. I too suffer from both ennui and rountuits when it comes to playing guitar.

As I have quite a collection of guitars to choose from - would you recommend that I choose a guitar at random when I want to play or settle on one of my favourites (which may be easier said than done as my favourite guitar varies according to the mood I'm in - currently it's the Les Paul and the Telecaster...)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright and sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner, but there is a slight breeze making the leaves move about quite a bit. I’ve decided to have an easy day today, I shall do a bit of work on the computer, editing the wiring schedules and then head off to the workshop, as I think I’ve earned a little respite from working in the cellar. 

Bak later. 

Brian

• Like 15

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

just looked that up - cetirizine.  I tried that, loratidine works better for me, but still not that great. :-(

Elder Lurker uses loratidine; when he was little we found piriton brought him out in a rash!

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The gardener will be coming round in about an hour or so to give an estimate for cutting the lawn weed patch. First of all I will have to remove the fox cubs 'toys' scattered about the garden as well as tidy up the things that they pulled about.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Our blackberries are not much beyond the green blob stage.

Interestingly the blackberries/brambles in the councils corner plot are very slightly beyond the green blob stage although the corner is exposed they have the shelter of the shrubbery. The brambles at the bottom of next doors garden are slightly more advanced being sheltered in the foot wide gap between two fences. There is a 'hot spot' in my back garden, a six foot high south facing brick wall that anything growing there will be two to three weeks ahead of anything else. That is where I'm going to put the 'bug hotel' together with some wildflowers in the planter at the foot of the wall for the pollinators.

https://www.historicroyalpalaces.com/superbloom/limited-release-superbloom-seed-mix-yellow-orange-and-red-flowers.html

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18

Greetings all from Sidcup where I am WFH. Not attempting to use the half hourly service on the Dartford loop, which was also running yesterday.

Elder Lurker is still off sick, most unlike him. I think that this has hit hi far harder than covid did. Those that know say that now he is working with a child in reception he is likely to get many nasties .

The blackberries in foots cray meadow and upper college farm which I walked past yesterday are not nearly advanced as Rick's - they are mainly flowers with a few turning to green berries. I did wonder if Rick's berries were loganberries as they tend to ripen earlier (or at least they did in our back garden when I was a kid).

EDIT - looking back at the photo again, they are clearly not loganberries, the ripe ones are far too dark

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Bobby has been walkies but had to give up before a mile was covered as The Hip went into full on complaint mode.  Now sat down with a muggacoffee and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol are being deployed.  (The Neck is still a bit stiff too but so far The Knee is OK......oops, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that)

Shark wielding has been postponed today so that leaves me some shredding to do and then I'll have to find something else to while away the day.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I note that in @chrisf’s post he refers to “VW dealership” and “going to the bank” in the same post. Could it be that the honourable member from Bedford is looking at getting one of these https://money.cnn.com/2014/12/05/autos/vw-bus-auction/index.html or one of these https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-ultra-luxury-volkswagen-youve-never-heard-of/? Come to think of it, I can actually imagine Chris driving a VW microbus, although the Kaftan, hippy beads and long hair are probably an optional extra. If nothing else, you could get an awful lot of model railway layout into a VW microbus.

Absolutely not, though I must compliment the honourable member from Basel on his vivid imagination!  For the foreseeable future a VW Polo will be adequate for transporting me and possibly a modest quantity of unspecified freight.  A larger vehicle would be much more difficult to park given the pressure on spaces near my house.

Chris 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

The blackberries in foots cray meadow and upper college farm which I walked past yesterday are not nearly advanced as Rick's - they are mainly flowers with a few turning to green berries. I did wonder if Rick's berries were loganberries as they tend to ripen earlier (or at least they did in our back garden when I was a kid).

EDIT - looking back at the photo again, they are clearly not loganberries, the ripe ones are far too dark

When I lived at Burnham-on-Crouch there was a bit of waste ground at the bottom of the garden that was full of loganberries and raspberries. It had once been part of the garden leading down to a lane/access road. Garages had been built onto the lane but did not occupy all of the ground.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I lived at Burnham-on-Crouch there was a bit of waste ground at the bottom of the garden that was full of loganberries and raspberries. It had once been part of the garden leading down to a lane/access road. Garages had been built onto the lane but did not occupy all of the ground.

That reminds me of walking the trackbed of the former Northampton - Market Harborough line which I did on a couple of occasions when I lived in the former. Near one of the stations, there were some wonderful raspberries growing. There were no nearby houses and I fondly imagined that they had grown in the stationmaster's garden. No idea if that's true of course but I can say they were delicious!

• Like 12