The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We don't have "Bin men", just one bloke driving a truck. Or actually 3 blokes driving 3 different trucks (rubbish, recycle, green waste), unless  perhaps its the same truck and same bloke with just  the label on the side  changed each time.

Here we have one truck and one driver (though I think it is equipped with two sets of controls).

The first pass is for yard waste - which reaches me around 8:00am. The second pass is for garbage/rubbish/trash - which reaches me around tennish. The driver does not leave the vehicle. The third pass is for recyclables - a crate* for glass and a wheelie bin for paper/plastic/metals. The driver has to dismount to load the glass crate into a receptacle on the truck side around hip height.

* Like a wide milkcrate.

The area served by each truck is quite small. On my daily walks I pass through local neighbourhoods, each with their own bin day.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I'd be fibbing  if I said I could see the great red spot.

Jupiter rotates about its axis just like  the earth does so chances are you got to see it while the spot was rotated away from us, though its rotation is a rapid 10 hours meaning you only had a maximum 5 hour wait for it -  more commitment next time please!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

55 minutes ago, pH said:

The bins have to be out by 7.30 AM, but may not be collected until about 4 PM.

I don't know by when/if my bins are supposed to be "out". I have had "Oh shoot!" moments when I heard the truck in the street behind me and wheeled the bin out in time for refuse to be collected.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Those unfamiliar with the ways of certain transport (and maybe other) operations may be surprised to learn that 30:00 does indeed existI myself have booked off duty as late as 26:30. 

In my case it was the Melbourne (and State of Victoria) systems which adopt the method of distinguishing between days by continuing to add beyond 23:59.  

So if you book on at 16:00 but off at 2am next morning then your book-off time will be 26:00.  This is shown on staff rosters and diagrams, tram driver's table cards (the equivalent of a bus driver's duty card) and other largely internal documents.  Australia generally uses the 12-hour clock for public purposes.  When on a night shift the driver might book on at 23:00 and off at 31:00.  A colleague who worked a slightly later shift might book on at 00:05 and off at 08:05 but largely working the same actual hours.  The public would see the 12-hour version on train departure boards, bus and tram stop information panels.  Public announcements also use the 12-hour clock.  

What we did (in the scheduling dept at Broward County Transit) for the drivers was formatted as, for example, 1230A, 1230P and 1230X for any runs that finished after midnight. The earliest report time was somewhere around 400A (0400) and the last pull-in was off the clock was around 130X (0130). Note that I still write my time in that format; years of usage at work!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

We have 3 bins -- garbage, recycling, and compostable. Compostable is every week; the others alternate. Usually, one truck picks up both bins as they have a divided compartment.  There is a latch on the compostable, but it has to be undone for pickup. We just put ours out first thing in the morning (stored in the garage).

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

and be easier to wash than the basket itself.

Can these air fryer baskets go in a dishwasher or is that why the liners are used? I don’t think we will be getting one, just curious. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Can these air fryer baskets go in a dishwasher or is that why the liners are used? I don’t think we will be getting one, just curious. 

Depends on the model. Some say dishwasher friendly in the instructions and some say hand wash only. I don't have any problem with that as my dishwasher is on the end of my arms.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3