The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

As far as certain terms discussed over the last two or three pages go, I'm used to 'running errands' and 'snap'. 

It was foggy here to start with (less than 100 yards visibility) then begrudgingly cleared, with a brief sight of blue sky replaced with grey and rain. A little Gword 'stuff' was done and some more sorting and tidying/throwing out done in the garage. Then time for lunch. Chicken with a few extras. But not... 

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

.... Not our usual brand,  for some reason we've been trying others but not any more as I've exercised my veto and we're going back to Branston.

IMHO, the best brand available in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...The Hill of Strawberries has become a quackmire - that's like a quagmire but with ducks.  No idea where they have come from but ducks are paddling across where the lawns should be this morning....  

Round here, a village five miles up the valley regularly has ducks walking down the main street. Traffic is disrupted several times a day because Jemima and friends have decided to take a wander (or should that be a gander?) past the shops. It's probably good for preventing accidents as it slows the cars right down, though some 'interesting' language from eastern european delivery drivers has occasionally been overheard, fortunately, rarely in English. 

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Just a question to all the various ER posters: when you buy new equipment – perhaps equipment you need for a task and which you have never used before – do you suffer from a reticence to actually use the new piece of equipment once you acquire it.... 

But then, when I get the equipment home, I find it sits in the box and I don’t use it. It’s almost as though I am afraid to use it for fear of mucking things up (whereas if I fall back on a workaround – which is what I bought the equipment for to avoid doing – I know I can get some sort of reasonable result). And the better/more expensive the new piece of equipment is, the more reticent I am to use it.

Does anyone else suffer from this “new gear phobia“? ...

Unhelpfully, yes and no... There have been times when I've used new items within an hour of getting them home. But my last purchase (an all singing, all dancing mini-drill/saw, with umpteen attachments) has languished in its box for over a couple of years. Being honest, I think that was more down to Covid and the outbreak of assorted 'problems' which hit around then and didn't leave me any chance for modelling than any psychological reluctance. But I understand how I might be a bit reluctant to 'take the show-room shine' off a new purchase or venture into the unknown with new techniques. Perhaps a psychiatrist might be able to give such reluctance a name? Take a deep breath and go for it... 

47 minutes ago, southern42 said:

If it is any comfort, before I retired from the University, a student mentioned that he was expected to go to King's College, London. He came to Bangor because it was "friendly" and was glad that he did. I hope it benefited him in more ways that one....

Thanks. That was 90% of the reason for my choice. I was a bit further south in Wales but when sniffing round various candidates and having a think about where to spend three years of my life I felt much more comfortable there than Cambridge or any of the other universities I scouted. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It's stopped raining!!!

Three subsections of something unmentionable, removed from Landrover to muddling shed.

New sail now hanging in roof of gardening shed,  I hope beyond the reach of mieces.

You lot have bin talking too much, a film has just come on TV with opening music appropriate for something towards the end of next month.

With no close family living nearby, We don't do that event, other than sending and receiving a few cards.

The only thing is on that day.. no work, a full roast dinner and if the weather is OK a walk on the beach.. Though this year Ben will have to be transported down there by car, he could get there ok, but after his charging around down there, he'd struggle to get back.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Despite the rain the toy fair was busy and as you might expect this time of year there were plenty of youngsters there. I made an interesting purchase, a gas-electric railroad car and coach, HO scale for fifty modelling tokens. It appears to be kit built and I will be taking it for testing  on Thursday. After I dropped my friend and his lad off I heard a phone ringing in the car and as soon as got home my friend rang saying he had lost his phone. It took a bit of finding but it was found stuck between the front passenger seat and the centre console. I will be taking it back to him shortly.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Just a question to all the various ER posters: when you buy new equipment – perhaps equipment you need for a task and which you have never used before – do you suffer from a reticence to actually use the new piece of equipment once you acquire it.

In a word - No.       In fact I suffer from exactly the opposite condition.     For years I have "made do" with unsatisfactory, sometimes dangerous work-rounds to do something that "the proper piece of kit"  would do in 5 minutes, do it better and do it safer.   When I finally get round to biting the bullet and buying a bit of kit I then spend the next months and years thinking why the heck didn't I get this sooner! 😂    An extreme example of this is my Myford lathe (old, well used but in reasonable condition BUT new to me) which sort of presented itself at my door a couple of years back and said "Buy me?".     I'm so glad I did, as you've seen recently, I couldn't possibly of got by with the Beeza engine re-build without it as it turns out.

In Other News

Time has been passed today trying to lap the four gears of the Beeza's  oil pump into the pump's Mazak housing.   The idea is to provide a good but free fit so the pump pumps most efficiently but does not load and thus cause accelerated wear on the pump drive.   

We all know about Mazak don't we?     This is 80+ year old Mazak!         It's getting there but isn't there yet.

TTFNQ

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Soviets would just throw wave after wave of ... soldiers against the Germans, sustaining such heavy casualties that the rate of firepower on the German side was so high that the MG 42 barrels would be melting.

The Red Army wasn't call the Big Red Meat-grinder for nothing.

In particular the "Rzhev Meat Grinder" for battles in the Rzhev salient, west of Moscow.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Smartphone duly returned to its owner who was very thankful. A combination of walking around the toy fair and then Tess Coes and the rain brought out Arthur Itis and the Nurofen is only just taking effect. Now watching the Darjeeling Railway from above on Channel Four.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, pH said:

November is “Nelson burger month”, with local restaurants producing special burgers at a common price, with voting to decide winners in three categories: ‘Best tasting’, ‘Most unique’ and ‘Best presentation’. Here’s the voting page with descriptions - each entry appears three times, once in each category:

https://westkootenay.secondstreetapp.com/Nelson-Stars-Burger-Month-2022-3/gallery

They look fabulous! 

It's interesting to see so many Indian places represented in eastern BC.

Also to see a burger named "El Pollo Loco" which is the name of a very large fast food chain in California serving flame grilled marinated chicken. One opened in the western suburbs here but didn't last. Their nearest location is now in Reno, Nevada.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, chrisf said:

The festive season is horribly close and I am nowhere near ready for it.  Neither, I imagine, is anybody else.

Nope, but my sprouts are well on the way.

Edited by BoD
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

Had no power for most of day no charge on phone or tablet. I lent the power banks to the eldest so he could watch kickball.

@New Haven Neil the IOM VC winner was a Major Cain he did some remarkable things at Arnhem with a PIAT despite losing sight in an eye iirc.

Jeremy Clarkson made a documentary series on VC winners he was one of them. It turned out Major Cain was his FIL at the time.

The doc may be available on You Tube.

Forgot to mention our streets substation is connected in to a gen set on the back of a 45' flat trailer parked at side. So goodness knows what gone wrong

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Clearly you weren't paying careful attention to the "Beet Red - Forest Green" burger.

image.png.2c26b441e807bda8b1a2dccfd6b81227.png

Take off the stuff that sounds like  it's from a Mary Poppins song, lose the mushrooms, add a ring of Golden Circle and an egg... Rename  it "with the lot" ....Gold medal!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

23 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Had no power for most of day ...

our streets substation is connected in to a gen set on the back of a 45' flat trailer parked at side.

Hope that gets sorted soon. It's certainly a first-world problem, but I find power outages a bit discombobulating. Never really bothered me when I was young but in those days you don't think about how much you spent on the contents of the freezer and I lived in a warm climate so home heating was moot.

EDIT:

We become very dependent on it. In the aftermath of the Florida hurricane there were fatalities specifically related to power outages and I don't mean electrocutions from faulty/downed power equipment but examples like people dependent on oxygen machines, or refrigerated medications.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11