The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Some time ago we talked about the length of generations.  This guy had to go back 3 generations to WW1.  Quite remarkably  I only need to go back one.  My father was born in 1914 and was I think the youngest of a set of first cousins.  One of his cousins, had  started University,  to do an engineering degree in 1913 and enlisted in August 1914.  He was quite rapidly promoted to Lieutenant from private and served in France from 1915 through till April 1917 when he was killed near Arras. To keep things brief I usually refer to him as my Uncle, as his sisters were known as my aunts.  It's quite thought provoking. i've told the story before that he was killed on the 23rd April which is my eldest's birthday.  In 2017 I was able to visit his grave and lay a small wreath of red roses, as he was from Lancashire and served in a Manchester pals battalion. 

Jamie

Mother and Dad were both "migratory war workers" who ended up in Baltimore working for the Glenn L. Martin Co. building Martin bombers; Mother as a "Rosie the Riveter" and Dad in a tool crib. Mother very shortly transferred to an office position where her skills were better used.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a typo correction.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Well please keep that info to yourself as I have got the book (bought on day of release) but have not yet finished "The Man Who Died Twice" yet due to having just so much else to do - I also got that volume on the day of release, but what with the move and work etc.....

Osman is an exceptional writer, and the way he moves between Elizabeth, Joyce, Ron and Ibrahim, and the subtle changes in the narrative style are very clever, and not easy to do - I know as I've tried in my writing.

Have no fear, I've only spotted one clue, or so I thought but I was wrong. My problem is that I have a terrible memory for names and there are references back to incidents in the previous two novels so its better to read all three back to back. Some time ago I mentioned another favourite novelist of mine, Carl Hiaasen and some ER's were tempted to give him a try it would be interesting to get an opinion. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

That included emptying my dad’s room the day after he left for his National Service meanii g he had nothing left to show for or remind him of his childhood. The whole lot simply went in the bin. 

That's a b.awful thing to do - and to have done to you.  A certain Bear would be VERY upset in such circumstances.

Bear here.....

Firstly, VHBBW's to @Oldddudders 🎂🎂

This afternoon was a bit of a blow-out; I've started watching a film (based on a true story, apparently) about an Alsatian Doggie that belonged to a Jewish Family at the outbreak of WW2 becoming an SS Guard Dog at a Concentration Camp - apparently Doggie escapes, but I've not watched that far yet.  I'd never heard before that one of the Nazi Rules was that Jewish Families were prohibited from owning pets.  B'sterds. 

In other news.....

What on earth possessed this Tw@t?  Personally I wouldn't have suspended the sentence; I hope the person to whom the Ambulance was travelling to suffered no ill-effects:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-63586321 

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Knackered I am, distinctly achey.

Job one,

Research and investigate spinny thingy fault, turns out the stereo jack plug has lost connection to the middle of the three lands.. most odd.. spares are at MRC, I meant to bring one home last night, I'll have to pick one up on the way to the SC tomorrow.

Job two,

Removed rudder from boat, which included shifting boat side ways to clear trailer arms with shoulder as it dropped.. boat weighs 400kg.... 

Measured for new rudder, 2inches in front of rudder shaft to aft edge of hull gives 19inches, maximum draft is 30 inches, so that gives the box the rudder must fit in. Having studied rudders much more that when the  previous rudder was built, I now know she needs 2 sqft of rudder side area approx.

Sketches are underway.

Job three,

Measured for seat moving back. It will be 23.5 inches, this is due to hull frames and steering gear preventing any further movement. Sketches are complete on that one.

Job four,

Mowed jungle, after filling petrol tank. There are parts left to do, but not urgent.  Took 2 hours.

Job five,

Ben taken for walk while pheasant massacre shotguns are having lunch, didn't quite make it home before they restarted, got towed by Ben the rest of the way home.

Job six,

Go apple hunting, not many left just two bucket fulls, some small ones left on the trees, but there's not much hope of them getting bigger before they get blown off.

Eye covers need inspection..

Bye for now.

You're knackered?   I've nearly had a heart attack just reading that lot Q.  🤪

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

but at least the X in Xmas has a spiritual meaning (signifying the crucifix)

Flavio, the "X" actually is the Greek letter Chi. "Christós" being Χριστός (in modern Greek, if Google translate is accurate).

My instinct would have been something like ΧΡƖΣΤΟΣ, though I imagine this is wrong.

It was the fashion (at least by *some*) in the late 17th century in correspondence to substitute X / Chi for Christ in words like Christian - thus X'tian. I don't know if this was simply a convenient shorthand in the days of quills and ink, or an emulation of the Hebrew tradition for not speaking/writing the name of God - hence "YHWH" / יהוה‎ in written form for Yahweh.

In the same way Christmas becomes Xmas with the letter Chi.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As the celebration of the winter solstice approaches, those whose outlook is more commercial than spiritual have decided to inundate us with all things Yule related, or -  in Captain Cynical‘s mind worse - “holiday season”

How is "holiday season" worse? It encompasses all of the "return of the light" wintertime traditions, including, but not limited to:

• Christmas
  • Chanukah
  • Winter solstice
  • Yule
  • Kwanzaa
  • Saturnalia

It is encompassing and does not value one over the other. Or do you disparage it because it implies a value placed on diversity?

Even liturgically in Latin Christian traditions, Advent begins this year in November (the 27th) which is spiritually very much the pre-Christmas period.

The "official" kick off in the US secular calendar of holidays is the day after Thanksgiving, (aka Black Friday which this year is November 25). It is signified (not accidentally) by the customary appearance of Santa in his sleigh at the very end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

19 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I think most people these days don’t even know they’ve got it; I only found out because I had a company medical coming up and thought I would double check my streaming cold. And because i still had done free tests left .

Elder Lurker also had it. But Mrs Lurker only tested negative despite a cold that was worse than my Covid and Younger Lurker didn’t get it at all.

The strains now seem milder and most people have been jabbed- so it is no wonder far fewer people are worried these days 

We are very much at the "living with it"  stage of Covid now IMVHO and you are correct, many don't know they've got it or had it.    I've never tested positive for it but I do wonder.

Anyway, for those of you waiting for when Covid has been eradicated I'm afraid you are going to be waiting a very long time!      Have we got rid of the Flu yet?    No, thought not .......

In Other News

Not much to be honest, I've had a very quiet day today doing not-a-lot after the exertions of yesterday.   

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Flying around Asia makes you realize just what a big continent Asia is.

Indeed. Flying across the equator (where no 'great circle' routes help) makes you realize how big the Pacific Ocean is. The North Atlantic is a mere puddle in comparison.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, PupCam said:

We are very much at the "living with it"  stage of Covid now IMVHO and you are correct, many don't know they've got it or had it.    I've never tested positive for it but I do wonder.

Bear has been tested once a month by "the powers that be" since it pretty much kicked off, so far without any sign of it; I've also done the odd home test as required (e.g. a Beary Headache).  I kinda like this approach and hopefully can keep the unblemished record for as long as possible.....

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

**STOP PRESS!!**

Do fellow ER'ers remember this:

On 25/10/2022 at 17:33, iL Dottore said:

1700326135_HedgehogLetter.jpg.8bdde4417545025442f296dcf7b2ebb8.jpg

Well I can now exclusively reveal that it's all total....cobblers 😱

A certain Bear has now discovered what has become of poor Harry - he's been Hognapped and sold into Slavery.  How does Bear know this, and what evidence can I present?  Well how about this - seen yesterday:

1458401654_IMG_32811.JPG.5361b2c3251bdca26ced249f37fcdfaa.JPG

Pretty conclusive I'd say......

Shocked, of Bear Towers.

p.s. Plans are afoot to rescue poor Harry - and without exchange of muddlin' tokens either......

pps.  Don't let Harry's smile confuse you - he's been drugged.......

Edited by polybear
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The bread pudding has now gone and I can assure you that it was delicious. I shared it out with a few friends but I had to eat half of it myself. In fact there was too much mix for the oven dish so what was left over is in the freezer. I don't know if you can freeze bread pudding dough, I'll find out when I defrost it.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Indeed. Flying across the equator (where no 'great circle' routes help) makes you realize how big the Pacific Ocean is. The North Atlantic is a mere puddle in comparison.

Vancouver to Auckland -14 hours of water!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5