Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. One of my daily papers didn't arrive today. Apparently the delivery truck was caught up in the traffic on the M25, none to be had anywhere. 

6 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

latest from Sky - absolutely terrible

Three boys aged eight, 10 and 11 have died after falling into an icy lake in Solihull, police have confirmed.

A fourth boy, aged six, remains in a critical condition after the incident at Babbs Mill Park on Sunday afternoon.

A search of the lake is continuing after reports up to six children had fallen in, but authorities have warned it is "no longer a search and rescue operation".

Tragic indeed, I hope that they're not from the same family. 

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BoD said:

Ironically,  a couple of years ago, I managed to slip one morning when going for my morning paper and fell in a way that I really winded myself and cracked a rib.  I was in some pain for a week or two but more seriously it knocked my confidence on snow and ice for six.  I am still wary and far less comfortable when it is icy underfoot.

I did that back in 2009 when coming out of the Dry Cleaners - I've never known pain like it; a Neighbour took me to a local NHS walk-in service and I saw a Doc very quickly.  My Oxygen readings were nigh on 100% and after prodding me somewhat she concluded that I'd busted "some" ribs; she did say I could go for an X-Ray but all that would do is say the same thing - after a VEEEEEEEERY long wait cos' people were falling left, right and centre.  

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Tragic indeed, I hope that they're not from the same family. 

The BBC News website has this:

"Police said their thoughts were with the families ......."

- which suggests more than one family is involved; it doesn't rule out the possibility that two are brothers, of course.

The news also reported that the incident in Jersey (in which the FB attended to investigate reports of a smell of gas) was then handed over to the Island Gas Service to investigate.  So that suggests the FB are off the hook, though the Gas Service may have some explaining to do.

In other news.....

An afternoon of Templot....it's a learning curve.....

Right, s'pose I'd better get to grips with writing Chrimbo cards 🙁; a Neighbour (who talks to our Postie a lot) says that they're only delivering letters once a week at the moment due to the strikes; all effort is on parcels and 24/28 hour delivery items apparently.

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, 45156 said:

Such a sad news of late, what with kids going through the ice, and flats exploding in Jersey.  Why does it always seem to be at Christmas, or is it just that these things are more poignant and significant at the festive season.

It's a bit of both. Naturally accidents related to icy ponds are going to be proximate to the winter holiday season - so not really coincidental.

I haven't looked up the official cause of the exploding flats in Jersey - though I imagine a gas leak is suspected. These of course can happen at any time of year, but many house fires can be connected to the holidays. Christmas trees are notoriously flammable and people can make mistakes with decorations and fireplaces and overcrowded kitchens where flammable items are placed close to heat sources.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Not so different to Australian (well VIctorian from personal experience, but I hear the same from allover) driving skills.

There is much more to attaining a driver's license in Queensland than there was 30 years or so ago.

Part of the testing is responding to online video traffic scenarios - almost (but not quite) like a traffic simulator for dangerous conditions where you are supposed to respond correctly to pass the exam. The sequence of red P (P1) and green P (P2) plates for graduated provisional licenses is also in place. (These had been abandoned in my day but are back in force.)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

6 hours ago, 45156 said:

Why does it always seem to be at Christmas, or is it just that these things are more poignant and significant at the festive season.

Down here there was Cyclone Tracy flattening Darwin on Christmas Day 1974 and the Indonesian Tsunami on Boxing Day 2004....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 14

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

3.  Pass emergency vehicles attending incidents or any other accident at no more than 40kmh and be prepared to stop.

Road rules here have recently changed regarding police or emergency vehicles on the shoulder. You have to either leave the outside lane clear or slow down if it is impossible to change lanes.

• Informative/Useful 6

10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is much more to attaining a driver's license in Queensland than there was 30 years or so ago.

Part of the testing is responding to online video traffic scenarios - almost (but not quite) like a traffic simulator for dangerous conditions where you are supposed to respond correctly to pass the exam. The sequence of red P (P1) and green P (P2) plates for graduated provisional licenses is also in place. (These had been abandoned in my day but are back in force.)

Same in NSW plus you need a logged 120 hours of driving experience, though that's possible to fake if you have unscrupulous parents who don't want to spend 120 hours in the passenger seat.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, BoD said:

Having done a fair bit of serious walking/climbing on mountains in winter conditions,  I used to be reasonably confident on snow and ice whilst still appreciating how dangerous it could be.  Ironically,  a couple of years ago, I managed to slip one morning when going for my morning paper and fell in a way that I really winded myself and cracked a rib.  I was in some pain for a week or two but more seriously it knocked my confidence on snow and ice for six.  I am still wary and far less comfortable when it is icy underfoot.

I invested in traction devices that attach to the soles of the shoes. There are different styles and some are better than others. They are really helpful but not a guarantee - caution is always advised.

The worst is when temperatures are low but there is no snow - not indicating use of the traction devices. There's a spot on my daily walk where water seeps from higher ground across a concrete path. With a hard freeze this turns to glass. It is treacherous.

We have no valley snow here. The forecast for the week ahead is clear with hard overnight freezes midweek. I'll be watching out for icy spots.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Same in NSW plus you need a logged 120 hours of driving experience

Similar requirement in QLD (though it is 100 hours for Learner drivers under 25, displaying an L plate).

Even the L plate requirement was overlooked in my day though I did have the full drivers' examination - three point turns, parallel parking and hill starts - in a fairly busy area. At that time in California it was more of a matter of driving the block around the DMV, though I was a regular driver by then and I think the testers might make more allowance with people who are obviously more experienced and older than 16.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, BoD said:

thought crampons would look a bit daft

The traction devices are not full crampons. There are a couple of different kinds - some a bit like golf spikes which I don't like, and the ones I like which are lateral coiled springs connected to some elastic rubber material to attach them. They're not very obvious, but you can't wear them indoors on a 'nice' surface.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I won't be going out tomorrow until late afternoon. We had a slight thaw this afternoon and the snow turned to slush and as soon as the sun went down it froze. Had a bit of trouble with Arthur Itis earlier this evening but the pills put him in his place.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

However if you lived on the other side of the river (like most of my mates, the lucky ...)  you were 'country' and did your test at the Picton Police station. There a copper would stand at the kerb outside the police station and watch you drive off out of sight on the main street til you got to the George the 4th pub about 300metre away, do a U-turn and come back and park neatly, job done.

ISTR mention of a driving test that's 6 yards forwards, 6 yards backwards; I'm guessing it was (still is?) in an African or Middle Eastern Country.

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Holy Grail is the 1971 Falcon GTHO Phase 3, the fastest sedan in the world in 1971. 0-100kmh in 6.4 seconds and top speed at 140kmh, with drum brakes at the rear, it was priced at $5000 at the time - something that a young tradie could afford if he was careful with his pay.  Theres one for sale right now, not sure what car 660000 pounds will get you in the UK but I assume it wouldn't have wind up windows and drum brakes at the back!

https://www.drive.com.au/news/one-of-one-ford-falcon-xy-gtho-phase-iii-for-sale/

£660K with get you a pair of top-of-the range Ferrari's, with about £140K left over for add-ons and Insurance.

In other news.....

Friend has finally been booted out of Hospital after 13 days and is now back home; it literally took the whole day (she had din dins and tea courtesy of the NHS) before she finally managed to escape.

• Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Taking off in a 4-litre for the first few times was a novelty; I had to learn delicate use of the loud pedal!  It was easy to see why so many others sped away from stops with rubber-burning screeching and smoke in their wake.

The mighty Barra motor! Can trace its lineage directly back to Fords first Australian built  6 cylinder motors of the 1960's, one of the best 6 cylinders in the world but no one else got to try it.

With 325KW and 525Nm in its final most refined form, 4.1 litre  Falcons can embarrass many a BMW and Merc driver. Runs for ever too - most  Australian Taxis were Ford Falcons chosen for space and reliability - many clocked up over 2 million km with taxi companies running them pretty much 24 hours a day 7 days a week in all temperatures, road conditions and weather. (Almost every one I got into  had every warning light on the dash glowing, the drivers just ignored them and they still seemed to go ok!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, polybear said:

ISTR mention of a driving test that's 6 yards forwards, 6 yards backwards; I'm guessing it was (still is?) in an African or Middle Eastern Country.

£660K with get you a pair of top-of-the range Ferrari's, with about £140K left over for add-ons and Insurance.

In other news.....

Friend has finally been booted out of Hospital after 13 days and is now back home; it literally took the whole day (she had din dins and tea courtesy of the NHS) before she finally managed to escape.

Here spend say  $250,000 on a Ferrari, Jag, Porsche,  Aston etc and you're considered an upyaself knob.

But spend $328000 on a 1968 Holden and you're true blue working class!

Untitled.png.ea9e23c4f5a8122adff698a149c5ca76.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For those that frequent 'spoons, I see there is a new one in Birmingham New Street Station.

Called the " London & North Western" it is by the stairs down to Hill St/Station St.

I'll give it the once over next time I'm in Brum.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1